VOGONS

First post, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys , i need your help, i have a Retro PC with Gigabyte GA-6VTXE-A Motherboard (With VIA Apollo Pro 133T) chipset, 350W FSP PSU, CPU Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.2Ghz, 128-512MB RAM, GeForce2 MX400 and GeForce 4 Ti4200 GFX , ISA Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster 120GB IDE HDD and IDE DVD-RW ... Everything was fine until I wanted to install a 3DFx accelerator... And Voodoo 1 don't work, The machine is hang after try to start glide application... Voodoo 2 same not working, after REINSTALLING OS Windows 98SE or ME (fresh install) i try to install reference drivers and after reboot open the Screen Settings and click on V2-1000 tab , the Screen settings.cpl are freeze (helped kill the process RunDLL via task manager) and if i install FastVoodoo2 4.6 drivers Screen.cpl not working just nothing not openned , dxdiag same not openned...if i try to start any Glide app just hang the system....

What i try and it not helped for me:
After any fresh windows install firstly i am install VIA 4in1 Hyperion drivers pack.
Try using different FSB and CPU Freqency (FSB from 66 to 133 CPU from 600 to 1.2 Stock frequency)
Try Change Master GPU
Try change RAM (use different banks)
try to unplug DVD-ROM
Unplug all devices from motherboard...

So may be anybody know how i can fix it? i think the problem in VIA Chipset but its only with VooDoo cards, any other devices like PCI USB Controller or PCI SATA Controller or PCI Ethernet Controller works fine! except Voodoo (... may be need to change special register in chipset, because BIOS settings on this Mother is very skimp.... best regards and many thanks for any help!

Last edited by loveburn on 2022-12-12, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 44, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My guess would be both Voodoo cards are dead. Try them in another non VIA board to be sure.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 44, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot to unpack here. First off, are you using two GeForce cards on this system or are you swapping them out as you see fit?

You can forget about using Voodoo 1 on a system as fast as this. The cut-off point is usually around 350-400Mhz Pentium II, I've never seen a proper explanation as to what's really going on there, but it seems to be related to the FSB, it really dislikes 100MHz. I've had some success running it on an Apollo Pro 133T board using a PIII 1000 and 733 with a 66MHz FSB, but it is very finicky and results vary from game to game, driver to driver and even API to API! My suggestion is to forget about using this card on this system.

Regarding the Voodoo2, it should work just fine, but I'm not sure I get the full picture from your post. Have you actually tried this card on another system and can confirm that it is fully operational? If so, do you have any other PCI cards installed on the system? You mention that you have tried USB/SATA and Ethernet controllers, but you don't mention if you're using them on this system right now.

My suggestion is to do a clean install of Win98SE with only the bare minimum hardware wise. Return your board to stock settings if you've overclocked, make sure you're running the latest BIOS, your FSB is at 133MHz and your RAM is running at CL3 just in case it is not happy with CL2. Use a single stick of memory that you know is good, even it is is only 128MB. Use the GF2 MX400 as your GPU as it draws less power and we can remove that from the equation. Install that AWE64 (I suppose it's an ISA card?), but don't install any other cards on the system, use that IDE optical drive and HDD and nothing else.
After you've done a clean install of Win98SE, install the unofficial Service Pack 2.1a if you wish, but do not install any further version than this as they are a bit intrusive with the changes and patches they apply. Install an appropriate Via 4in1 driver, probably 4.35 will be a great match and then your Nvidia drivers, again preferably something older, say from around 2001. Finally, install DX7.0a and restart, try a few games, stress test the system for a bit with something like 3DMark 2000, see if you get any crashes. If all goes well, your system should be stable and then we can move to the final part of the examination. Install your Voodoo 2 and use the latest reference driver and then see if you get the same issues.

Reply 4 of 44, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2022-12-12, 16:57:

if you get the same issues.

I am already tryed to use One GPU card GF2MX400 also i tryed to use S3 Trio 3D 2x gPU i am also tryed installl fresh OS then only 4in1 VIA Drv. without any other PCI devices, only ISA AWE64 without additional drivers , i am not using overclocking now system bus is 133 CPU FREQ 1.2 PCI FREQ 33.3MHZ (default) but Voodoo 2 is still unworking but two of this cards 100 percent alive... without voodoo any system complete all tests and stress test in games, bench's e.t.c
also i am tried pure DOS mode, but the game just freeze or hang the machine!

Reply 5 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's still sounding a bit random regarding installed devices and drivers. Why not do the minimum, but properly and in correct order?

- strip to motherboard, CPU, RAM, single AGP VGA (doesn't matter which) and a single HDD. No other ISA/PCI cards, no other HDDs, no USB devices (except mouse or keyboard)
- set BIOS to defaults
- install clean Win98SE (so no slipstreamed service packs, drivers etc)
- install oldest stable 4-in-1 supporting your chipset, I'd recommend 4.35 (not one of the newer Hyperions) and reboot when instructed to.
- install stable driver for your AGP card and reboot when instructed to.
- install one game that supports Voodoo2 (I generally use Unreal Tournament, but anything will do) and confirm that it runs stable on your AGP card.
(and if you've already done this, perhaps it would be a good idea to be more structured and explicit in your posts so we get a better idea what you have done exactly and don't suggest stuff you've already tried)

If any step up to here goes wrong, the problem isn't Voodoo related and needs fixing before installing the Voodoo2

Now install the Voodoo2 card and install stock drivers when prompted. After the obligatory reboot, try your game. Fine? Then your problem is (as I secretly suspect) related to the combination with something else. Continue checking game functionality/stability after every install/upgrade.

If it failed after installing Voodoo2, you know you did everything right so far. My suggestion would then be to try the V2 in a different PCI slot. In fact, try all of them one by one. It could be that one particular slot shares an interrupt line with some integrated stuff that doesn't like sharing with Voodoo. As there are only four interrupt lines on a PCI bus, any system with more than four slots (and any system with integrated or onboard functionality with more than three slots) will of necessity share interrupt lines. PCI spec says devices need to play nice with each other, but IRL things don't always work as smoothly.

Reply 6 of 44, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-12-12, 18:21:
it's still sounding a bit random regarding installed devices and drivers. Why not do the minimum, but properly and in correct or […]
Show full quote

it's still sounding a bit random regarding installed devices and drivers. Why not do the minimum, but properly and in correct order?

- strip to motherboard, CPU, RAM, single AGP VGA (doesn't matter which) and a single HDD. No other ISA/PCI cards, no other HDDs, no USB devices (except mouse or keyboard)
- set BIOS to defaults
- install clean Win98SE (so no slipstreamed service packs, drivers etc)
- install oldest stable 4-in-1 supporting your chipset, I'd recommend 4.35 (not one of the newer Hyperions) and reboot when instructed to.
- install stable driver for your AGP card and reboot when instructed to.
- install one game that supports Voodoo2 (I generally use Unreal Tournament, but anything will do) and confirm that it runs stable on your AGP card.
(and if you've already done this, perhaps it would be a good idea to be more structured and explicit in your posts so we get a better idea what you have done exactly and don't suggest stuff you've already tried)

If any step up to here goes wrong, the problem isn't Voodoo related and needs fixing before installing the Voodoo2

Now install the Voodoo2 card and install stock drivers when prompted. After the obligatory reboot, try your game. Fine? Then your problem is (as I secretly suspect) related to the combination with something else. Continue checking game functionality/stability after every install/upgrade.

If it failed after installing Voodoo2, you know you did everything right so far. My suggestion would then be to try the V2 in a different PCI slot. In fact, try all of them one by one. It could be that one particular slot shares an interrupt line with some integrated stuff that doesn't like sharing with Voodoo. As there are only four interrupt lines on a PCI bus, any system with more than four slots (and any system with integrated or onboard functionality with more than three slots) will of necessity share interrupt lines. PCI spec says devices need to play nice with each other, but IRL things don't always work as smoothly.

ok, tomorrow i am try to do this, step by step
0. Set BIOS default settings
1. Install fresh Win98SE or WinME
2. Install 4in1 VIA 4.35 DRV
3.Install nVIDIA GeForce 2 Drivers like detonator 45.23 and any glide game (i have 4x4 evolution) and test it on GeForce
4. then installing voodoo 2 card and reference drv like 3dfx Voodoo2 V3.02.02
5. if not working try other PCI slot
RIGHT?
and i write about results here.
but i am interesting if i am just wrong in drivers install steping, why the Voodoo 2 not working in Pure DOS mode? just black screen or hang the Machine!????

Reply 7 of 44, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried without an AGP card? E.g. a PCI 2D card + Voodooo1/2.

I also remember something about nvidia AGP cards not liking to share IRQs on Via chipsets. Perhaps you can force IRQ in BIOS?

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 8 of 44, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
loveburn wrote on 2022-12-12, 18:39:

why the Voodoo 2 not working in Pure DOS mode? just black screen or hang the Machine!????

Nothing wrong there. I also had similar issues with a Slot 1 PIII Coppermine CPU with certain DOS games that uses Glide on a Voodoo2 card, with a slower CPU the same programs worked fine.

Which DOS games are you trying to run with the Voodoo2?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 9 of 44, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drosse1meyer wrote on 2022-12-12, 21:12:

I also remember something about nvidia AGP cards not liking to share IRQs on Via chipsets. Perhaps you can force IRQ in BIOS?

The Voodoo add-in cards don't use an IRQ, though.

Reply 10 of 44, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-12-12, 21:49:
drosse1meyer wrote on 2022-12-12, 21:12:

The Voodoo add-in cards don't use an IRQ, though.

i forgot that, good point 🤣

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 11 of 44, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seconded!

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 12 of 44, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3.Install nVIDIA GeForce 2 Drivers like detonator 45.23 and any glide game (i have 4x4 evolution) and test it on GeForce

If you want a period correct driver for the GeForce 2, you're better off with something like 12.41 or an even earlier version.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 13 of 44, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-12, 21:22:

Which DOS games are you trying to run with the Voodoo2?

Gta1, shadow warrior, of cause I tried copy do game folder ovl file ....run exe with or without ovl ... Same results

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-12-12, 23:37:

If you want a period correct driver for the GeForce 2, you're better off with something like 12.41 or an even earlier version.

Just interested, how Nvidia drivers version affect on voodoo 2, and voodoo2 in pure dos...... I think it's VIA chipset issues, for firstly the voodoo 2 must be working fine on pure dos , then working in win9x... I think something wrong here... Or I wrong?

I am tried two different motherboards based on VIA 133T chipset, and results is same........
Ga-6vtxe and Asus tuv4x . gigabyte have AMI bios , Asus have AWARD modular bios...

Last edited by loveburn on 2022-12-13, 05:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 44, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
loveburn wrote on 2022-12-13, 05:14:

Just interested, how Nvidia drivers version affect on voodoo 2, and voodoo2 in pure dos.....

I don't think the Nvidia driver version affects the Voodoo 2.

However, newer Nvidia drivers might not get along with older VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers that you intend to use, and which are indeed best suited for your motherboard. I'm guessing that's why people suggested something more period correct. For reference, those VIA 4.35 drivers were released in October of 2001 while Nvidia's 12.41 drivers were released in May of 2001.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 15 of 44, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-12-13, 05:32:
loveburn wrote on 2022-12-13, 05:14:

Just interested, how Nvidia drivers version affect on voodoo 2, and voodoo2 in pure dos.....

I don't think the Nvidia driver version affects the Voodoo 2.

However, newer Nvidia drivers might not get along with older VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers that you intend to use, and which are indeed best suited for your motherboard. I'm guessing that's why people suggested something more period correct. For reference, those 4.35 VIA drivers were released in October of 2001 while Nvidia's 12.41 drivers were released in May of 2001.

But without voodoo 2 all system works perfectly on latest drivers for Nvidia GeForce ti4200 or 2mx400...
Ok what about pure dos? Nevermind what drivers installed in windows.... Need just ovl and batch file for 3dfx starting....

Reply 16 of 44, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
loveburn wrote on 2022-12-13, 05:38:

Ok what about pure dos? Nevermind what drivers installed in windows.... Need just ovl and batch file for 3dfx starting....

Not sure, but I wouldn't worry about DOS for now.

It's best to keep things simple while testing and follow the instructions provided by @dionb. Use a Windows native Glide game for the initial test. Unreal Tournament is an excellent choice for testing Glide and Direct3D, since it can use either API.

Reply 17 of 44, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-12-13, 05:44:
loveburn wrote on 2022-12-13, 05:38:

Not sure, but I wouldn't worry about DOS for now.

It's best to keep things simple while testing and follow the instructions provided by @dionb. Use a Windows native Glide game for the initial test. Unreal Tournament is an excellent choice for testing Glide and Direct3D, since it can use either API.

Ok I will try today!

Reply 18 of 44, by loveburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I tried to do step by step all what @dionb recommended... But same effect...
0. Load bios default
1. I reinstall windows me
2. Install via 4in1 v4.35 driver then reboot
3. Install Nvidia 12.41 driver, reboot again
4. Install game and test on d3d in GeForce (works perfectly)
5. Install voodoo2 reference drivers 30202
After reboot I try to open screen settings and click to 3dfx voodoo tab, but screen cpl is freeze...
Nothing not changes , may be you have other variant?

Reply 19 of 44, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
loveburn wrote on 2022-12-13, 06:52:
So, I tried to do step by step all what @dionb recommended... But same effect... 0. Load bios default 1. I reinstall windows me […]
Show full quote

So, I tried to do step by step all what @dionb recommended... But same effect...
0. Load bios default
1. I reinstall windows me
2. Install via 4in1 v4.35 driver then reboot
3. Install Nvidia 12.41 driver, reboot again
4. Install game and test on d3d in GeForce (works perfectly)
5. Install voodoo2 reference drivers 30202
After reboot I try to open screen settings and click to 3dfx voodoo tab, but screen cpl is freeze...
Nothing not changes , may be you have other variant?

I would honestly try either Windows 95 OSR2 or Windows 98 SE depending on what games you intend to play (95 tops out at DirectX 8, 98 at Direct X 9). Windows ME is just asking for extra trouble, especially if you intend to do DOS-gaming too.

...My suggestion would then be to try the V2 in a different PCI slot. In fact, try all of them one by one. It could be that one particular slot shares an interrupt line with some integrated stuff that doesn't like sharing with Voodoo. As there are only four interrupt lines on a PCI bus, any system with more than four slots (and any system with integrated or onboard functionality with more than three slots) will of necessity share interrupt lines. PCI spec says devices need to play nice with each other, but IRL things don't always work as smoothly.

^ Also this, with the notice that you may want to go over some peripheral-related BIOS settings, especially if they have something to do with resource sharing or the PCI bus. For Win9x it sometimes makes a difference whether 'Plug & Play compatible OS' is set to Enabled/Disabled. For some configurations I've found it's better to let BIOS determine the resources, for others it's the reverse (better let Windows decide). Unfortunately the only way to know is trial and error...

Last edited by leonardo on 2022-12-13, 09:59. Edited 2 times in total.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.