VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, I began by acquiring some Yamaha YST-MS25 speakers and through trial and error found out to my dismay that the Live Value CT4830 doesn't play ball with them. This is a particular pain as I had 3 of these specific cards installed in my Win95, Win98SE and WinME builds. I have no idea why this happens but it can't be a coincidence.

The signal is weaker than usual in Win95 but I can solve it by cranking Windows' levels to the max and push up some more in the speakers' volume knob, there's no distortion at all. As for the Win98SE and WinME builds, it's only barely listenable after maxing out the Windows' and the speakers' volume knob, it's just wayyyy too low and impossible to use.

The speakers are fine as I tested them in my 486 (Vibra 16), XP (Live! 24-bit) and Win10 laptop, everything was normal, so I blame the CT4830s, and I've been looking into replacing them in each of the 3 builds I had them installed in. I'm running VXD drivers in all of the builds with SB16 Emulation too.

But, because it's fixable in Win95 with the adjustments I made in relation to this problem I was further testing it in Windows and DOS games (still within Win95), but the music in Doom and Duke3D for example was very slow. I was surprised as I don't recall this problem when I rebuilt this computer. I searched for this issue and changed the music card in the setup from Sound Blaster to General Midi but the problem remains, music too slow, changing pace sometimes as if it's trying to keep up.

Win95 build has a Pentium Pro, 32MB RAM

My questions:
1. Is there something I am missing regarding the CT4830's slow DOS games music problem that I can solve so I can at least keep it in that Win95 build?
2. If not, what cheaper options would you recommend for Win95? Would a Vibra 16 or a 128PCI do an adequate job between DOS and 3D Games?

Many thanks as always for all your time and replies