Reply 20 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-19, 18:02:
There are headers for the mobo but the pinout can vary. […]
Show full quote

There are headers for the mobo but the pinout can vary.

This is safer: and easier.

(And also takes a slot) so easier and same effect, also universal.

Anyway. Just search “ps2 pci”

Er: Re: PCI PS/2 Controller Cards

It is only a USB card with a PS/2 to USB bridge. It isn't gonna work in pure DOS or Win3.x, only on hardware with out of box support for USB and HID devices (98 and newer pretty much).

So any limitations on PCI USB apply here too (potential voltage issues etc)

If your current peripherals are USB, you're better off with a regular PCI USB card.

stealthjoe wrote on 2022-12-19, 16:17:
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-19, 14:03:

Get a Ps2 header bracket they cost 1 dollar.

Appreciate if you could get those links. Searched them on ebay but no luck finding them!!

What search terms? "PS/2 bracket" gave this as first hit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391942848851?hash=it … 50AAOSwg8taLL0l

As supplied pinout isn't what your ATC-1020 board needs (according to manual), but you can pop the wires out of the wrong holes and into the right ones (once again, see page 19 of the manual).

Digging further this seems to be the correct pinout, with lower shipping if located near EU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204090601342?hash=it … 4YAAOSwSl9jHlR3

Reply 21 of 31, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those PS2 brackets, I usually change the pinout using a sewing needle to pry up the little tabs that hold each wire in. Its very simple to do. You should be able to find the pinout of the board in the manual. You will need a multimeter that does continuity to trace each wire, you can find the standard PS2 din diagrams on google images.

I have a Intel 915 board in storage that didn't have any ps2 ports and had undocumented Dual ps2 header for a keyboard and a mouse and was able to make a double din bracket, trace the wires and test voltages coming from the header.

For you it will be easier but its monkey stuff really.

Reply 22 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-12-19, 23:23:
Er: Re: PCI PS/2 Controller Cards […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-19, 18:02:
There are headers for the mobo but the pinout can vary. […]
Show full quote

There are headers for the mobo but the pinout can vary.

This is safer: and easier.

(And also takes a slot) so easier and same effect, also universal.

Anyway. Just search “ps2 pci”

Er: Re: PCI PS/2 Controller Cards

It is only a USB card with a PS/2 to USB bridge. It isn't gonna work in pure DOS or Win3.x, only on hardware with out of box support for USB and HID devices (98 and newer pretty much).

So any limitations on PCI USB apply here too (potential voltage issues etc)

If your current peripherals are USB, you're better off with a regular PCI USB card.

stealthjoe wrote on 2022-12-19, 16:17:
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-19, 14:03:

Get a Ps2 header bracket they cost 1 dollar.

Appreciate if you could get those links. Searched them on ebay but no luck finding them!!

What search terms? "PS/2 bracket" gave this as first hit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391942848851?hash=it … 50AAOSwg8taLL0l

As supplied pinout isn't what your ATC-1020 board needs (according to manual), but you can pop the wires out of the wrong holes and into the right ones (once again, see page 19 of the manual).

Digging further this seems to be the correct pinout, with lower shipping if located near EU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204090601342?hash=it … 4YAAOSwSl9jHlR3

🤣 are they all like that? I think I have one somewhere. I’ll have to look at mine.

I’ve fried ps2 ports before trying to figure out the header wiring is why I was suggesting it. They don’t seem to be standardized and often aren’t well documented.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-12-20, 00:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-20, 00:11:

[...]

🤣 are they all like that? I think I have one somewhere. I’ll have to look at mine.

Most likely, as otherwise they would have to do complicated things with serial port numbers, IRQs etc. The one you linked to has a NEC PCI USB controller prominently visible on it 😉

Reply 24 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-12-20, 00:46:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-20, 00:11:

[...]

Most likely, as otherwise they would have to do complicated things with serial port numbers, IRQs etc. The one you linked to has a NEC PCI USB controller prominently visible on it 😉

Good catch. I’ll see if I can dig mine up.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 25 of 31, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's so much great advice in this thread. One piece of hardware I didn't see recommended yet is a POST card. They are inexpensive and invaluable when the board doesn't finish booting. To use them, simply install it in an empty PCI or ISA slot, then look up the last displayed code online for your corresponding BIOS (Award, AMI, etc.). Sometimes it can help save some time and trouble, or at least let you verify the board is in fact doing something.

Attachments

• POST Card.jpg
    Filename
    POST Card.jpg
    File size
    139.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 26 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was unable to locate mine. Perhaps I hallucinated owning one.

Anyway, I found a solution:

Isa mouse, at to ps/2 adapter. Boom. Easy ps/2 ports!

Attachments

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-12-23, 18:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 28 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-20, 01:49:

its not ps2 its a type of bus interface similar to the MS Bus mouse.

I give up.

😂🤣

Good luck with the ps2 header.

(I normally use the usb 1.1 for mouse, and din for kb) I know that ps2 is faster, but meh.

Calamitylime has a nice serial to usb mouse adapter.

Re: USB to Serial Mouse using the Pi Pico!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 29 of 31, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stealthjoe wrote on 2022-12-18, 12:43:

For quite a while was having an urge to build a socket 7 based board (primarily for DOS and Win 95) from scratch. The listings on ebay and locally basically provide only the bare S7 board with probably the processor and heatsink. While getting into the details of the required efforts to complete a S7 build, realized that it looks much more complicated than a Slot 1 build. Most boards provide an AT connector for only the keyboard. For a mouse there is only a PS2 header. It looks like we require addditional hardware/ convertors for mouse, keyboard, USB (if at all supported), etc. which are less commonly available.

Need some guidance on how to proceed with a S7 build and the required additional hardware and case requirements. For reference, lets say I am going in for this board - A-Trend ATC-1020 with a P1 133 mhz processor. What would be the additional hardware I need to get to be able to complete a build ? Also please let me know if it is worthwhile as compared to a slot 1 system? Thanks!!

You can still find and buy PS2 peripherals new if you look hard enough. Yes, most, especially the cheaper Socket 7 boards are AT form factor. They will fit just fine in a regular ATX case, and can be powered by an ATX PSU via an AT to ATX adapter. For the keyboard you need an PS2 to AT adapter witch are quite cheap. Note that there are some early / cheap skt 7 boards that do not have a PS2 header, so you'd be stuck with serial for a mouse. Said boards usually don't have split voltage support (for pentium MMX CPUs) either. If you go for an AT board make sure the seller includes the PS/2 breakout bracket.

OR

you could, as others mentioned, buy an ATX form factor socket 7 board, but those tend to be a lot more expensive. Said ATX socket 7 boards tend to cost as much as an AT form factor super 7 motherboard (VIA MVP3 / Ali Alladin V) and in my opinion are not really worth it, as with an AT Super 7 board you get AGP, USB and compatibility with the whole range of Socket 5 and 7 CPUs. Performance tends to be better as well.

Reply 30 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter Isa mouse adapter!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 31 of 31, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS/2 mice have a major plus over USB ones (in systems that can work with both) with 9X operating systems - they work during both setup, and in Safe Mode. Yes, you can use the keyboard in Safe Mode when you have a USB mouse, but most of us don't know the keyboard shortcuts from memory and it can be a bit of a struggle to do it that way, so having the mouse work with no issues is a significant advantage.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey