VOGONS

First post, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me start with the key question. Is there a Windows XP 32 bit driver for PCIe connected NVME SSDs? . I found this for 64bit win XP https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019 … driver.html?m=1

But there is conflicting info about nvme storage on Windows XP 32 bit. I found some single sentence replies to similar questions telling the poster to get REMOVED etc. So did anyone manage to get it working? Does anyone have any ideas?

Please don't answer that I should just use SATA(unless you know for sure pcie nvme will not work). I planned to do exactly that and I will if I can't get PCIe NVME working.

I was planning to upgrade my Windows XP build to SSD storage and I bought a super cheap M2 128GB used SATA drive, but the seller sent me by mistake a lot better 512GB M2 PCIe drive.... 😁

I went and bought the cheap SATA drive again and the second time they sent me the right one. The initial plan was to use a M2 SATA to classic SATA adapter which I do have too.

However, I happen to have a M2 to PCIe 3.0 x4 NGFF adapter that appears to fit the 512gb drive I was sent. Also the motherboard I have in my Windows XP PC has a free PCIe x1 slot. (it is a m2n68-am se2).

So hardware wise it all fits... But I cannot find a driver that woukd work with Windows XP 32 bit.

Then, there is also a question of there being any point in it... Perhaps Windows XP will not be able to utilise the extra speed of the nvme pcie drive anyway and I should just put it in my modern system instead (sticking to sata in Windows XP)? Let me know what is your opinion on this.

BTW, my windows XP 32 bit system has 3gb ram, a Phenom x4 940 quad core 3ghz cpu, a gts250 1gb gpu and its purpose is to run various software from back in the day in addition to letting me play some late win98/early WinXP games.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Name removed for full Windows XP download.

You should ask on msfn or winraid forums.
Also be aware that some of these projects use the leaked XP source code so we don't allow discussions of those projects here.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/183489-windows-x … n-hardware-faq/

You should search for nvme "windows xp", x86, stornvme .
You should also see if your nvme SSD has an oprom for legacy BIOS so it can be booted from, if not you'll need to see about getting one that does or modifying your bios so that it can.

As far as any point for file transfer then no (unless copying between two pcie SSD). Only benefit would be access on the SSD itself but any non-pcie SSD would be fine for that.

On my test desktop I use:
Vista and below: m.2 (not nvme) via a sata adapter StarTech.com M.2 to SATA Adapter - Dual Slot - for 2.5in Drive Bay - RAID - M.2 SSD - M.2 Adapter - M.2 SSD Adapter (S322M225R)
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB for XP and Vista
WD Green 120GB for 2000 and below
7+: I use a Synology 10Gb Ethernet and M.2 Adapter Card E10M20-T1 Samsung 950 Pro + Firecuda 520 2TB

Tend to shy away from too many hacks to get things working, too much of a PITA to deal with.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's what you can use additionally with legacy hardware: Re: what SSD for XP ?
Keep in mind, that workarounds for booting on legacy BIOS, like Clover and option ROMs, will be slower than straight boot from SATA drive, due to added initialization time.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 3, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you both. I've decided to use the SATA ssd as planned, because I realised there is (almost?) no benefit to using PCIe x1 than SATA 3Gb. Both are in the same ballpark transfer speed wise.

I've started the pc with the sata 128gb ssd installed (via a M2 to sata adapter) to make sure windows sees it. Then I cloned the os disk with Acronis True image 2021 and it boots/works fine.