S3 virge DX 4mb
(2x16) 60ns 32mb fpm
Creative awe 32 ct3900
3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-TPO
Maxtor 6E030L0 7200RPM 2MB cache
TEAC CD-W58E 8x8x32
be quiet! SFX L Power 600W PSU
DOS 6.22

When I built this in the case the system crashes when I play DukeNukem 3D with all the sound-effects. With just the midi it works OK. The same occurs with other games like HighSeas.
When I build the system outside of the case everything works OK.
I have tried several things:
-tried the cards in other slots
-took out Etherlink card
-changed wright back and wright through
-I used a power plug without protective earth
Beside this there is also a problem with the connector of the com-port. When I screw the connector on the case the port doesn't work. It works OK when I connect the mouse to the port without srewing it in (on) the case.

Every time I build the mobo and all the other things back into the case DOS is starting correct. When I start the game the system crashes.

Is there anyone who knows about this problem and can give an advice?

Reply 1 of 5, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would start by unscrewing each mount point one by one and testing. I have a 486 which wouldn't even post because either something would short to the chassis, or the board is maybe slightly warped, or something else; worked perfectly fine outside the case as well. Never really figured out the root cause, so I just leave that one mount point empty, and it's happy as a clam.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 2 of 5, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are a few pictures of my computer case. If I install this in the computer case, the PC freezes, if I start the games with the sound effects turned on with only midi sound the games work fine

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 5, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once my sound card would intermittently work on and off, then it started to happen with other cards. Finally I realised the case was making the card not fully touch inside the end bit of the isa slot. Looking from the top it looked fine but from close in a certain angle I finally saw the contacts were not making a good connection and gaping a bit

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
egbertjan wrote on 2022-12-18, 22:58:

When I built this in the case the system crashes when I play DukeNukem 3D with all the sound-effects. With just the midi it works OK. The same occurs with other games like HighSeas.
When I build the system outside of the case everything works OK.
Beside this there is also a problem with the connector of the com-port. When I screw the connector on the case the port doesn't work. It works OK when I connect the mouse to the port without srewing it in (on) the case.

Sounds like a ground issue. Could be a short when mounted in the case as mentioned but the Com port mouse thing makes me think maybe you are using the wrong com port dongle or some other thing is up.
Technically the metal bracket of the com port AND mount holes of the motherboard should be same ground as the case if wired proper. Are you using an adapter from PSU to motherboard ?
I suggest checking the voltage of the Com port mount frame (when not screwed in) to any ground point of the mother board to see if is actually ground and 0.0 volts.
I also suggest checking the ohm's from Com frame to motherboard ground with PSU disconnected.
added: worse case scenario: your PSU is the issue with a floating ground....just some thoughts...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use an adapter between the motherboard and the power supply

6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
21.93 KiB
Views
File license