VOGONS

First post, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello so i got a Voodoo Banshee last month, i tried once and the PC was booting fine until Windows, I had other vintage hardware to try so i put the card away to test other things.

Today i wanted to try some games with that and.....no more boot. Black screen no life signs. tried on two different PC....same problem, it just won't boot.

Tried several times to pull and put back, and different PSU...nothing.

1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps from the BIOS, means VGA faulty.

I can't get why the card broke alone....never dropped or anything in this last month, any chances to fix that ? I would really not to toss that card as a piece of garbage....was working last month! 🙁

Thanks

Last edited by _StIwY_ on 2022-12-20, 20:18. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 52, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
_StIwY_ wrote on 2022-12-21, 16:19:

I read online that someone fixed their video cards by baking them in the hoven at 200c degrees for like 8-10 minutes

Also a lot of people fubar'd their card like this. This is not good advice without proper troubleshooting.

Reply 6 of 52, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read online that someone fixed their video cards by baking them in the hoven at 200c degrees for like 8-10 minutes

Unless you are professional, removing the chips is not a joke.
And this thing of baking is a big no-no. Please don't.

Watch this 2x play speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0UMG3iVYZI

or jump to minute 42. It makes you understand bga issues and errors.
Baking also bakes all the other components, if you repair the issue you may end with another.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 7 of 52, by Truffon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would try reflashing the bios as corrupted bios seems to be an emerging issues on 3Dfx cards.
Try booting with another PCI video card as the primary display device, leaving the Banshee connected.
And then try to start the 3Dfx flash tool, see if it recognizes the 3Dfx bios/card.

Reply 8 of 52, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No one ever did. It's more necromancy where you create a zombie card for a couple of weeks at most rather than a resurrection.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 9 of 52, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like others have already said, this is a very bad idea (tm).

Reply 10 of 52, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Truffon wrote on 2022-12-21, 17:53:

I would try reflashing the bios as corrupted bios seems to be an emerging issues on 3Dfx cards.
Try booting with another PCI video card as the primary display device, leaving the Banshee connected.
And then try to start the 3Dfx flash tool, see if it recognizes the 3Dfx bios/card.

Second that - have a look at this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/H2rIfqd_-rg

Reply 11 of 52, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote on 2022-12-21, 19:39:

Second that - have a look at this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/H2rIfqd_-rg

I also recommend against baking it .

I would also suggest trying to re-flash the EEPROM first (EEPROM corruption has been reported more often on 3Dfx and Matrox based cards than others, AFAIK, subjectively speaking).

Before doing that, could you share some detailed high resolution close-up photos of both sides of your card as it currently looks ? Someone might spot something that could help pinpoint the root cause of the issue .

Reply 12 of 52, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i would start by inspecting for bent/shorted pins, missing surface mount components, broken solder joints, etc. generally these things just dont 'die'

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 13 of 52, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
drosse1meyer wrote on 2022-12-21, 22:26:

i would start by inspecting for bent/shorted pins, missing surface mount components, broken solder joints, etc. generally these things just dont 'die'

Well, but that is what happened! The video card was working fine, then i took it off from the motherboard. ( Didn't try under benchmarks )

Where can i get this tools ?

Reply 14 of 52, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
_StIwY_ wrote on 2022-12-24, 10:51:
Well, but that is what happened! The video card was working fine, then i took it off from the motherboard. ( Didn't try under be […]
Show full quote

Well, but that is what happened! The video card was working fine, then i took it off from the motherboard. ( Didn't try under benchmarks )

If your card is a Creative Labs card, then I would suggest using the Creative Labs flashing tool (should still be available on their website).
The YouTube video I linked to in my previous post also provides links to where you can find the 3dfx tools.

Reply 15 of 52, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_StIwY_ wrote on 2022-12-24, 10:51:
Well, but that is what happened! The video card was working fine, then i took it off from the motherboard. ( Didn't try under be […]
Show full quote

OK. So it stopped working after you physically removed it from a system. I'd check for damage as indicated, it may not be obvious. Broken solder joints can be very subtle and could result from a slightly bent card, for example.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 16 of 52, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adding my recent experience on video card,

it displayed out of range on my monitor because of a cut trace (no data signal).
Once found (by sheer luck as it was like blade cut, clean), it worked perfectly. Maybe there is a cut trace not that obvious to spot? A crack?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 18 of 52, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Come on now, these cards are worth preserving. You can sell it, mentioning that it's broken; someone might be interested in fixing it, or just collecting it as is.

Last edited by eddman on 2023-01-14, 19:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 52, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think maybe someone would pay atleast shipping for it to give it ago if you can fish it up from the trash.
I dont like the idea of it just being trashed, it could be useful as a donor for someone.