VOGONS

First post, by SirMacke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone knows what socket it is for this PC?
ICL Ergopro C4 33B.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a Socket 1 actually (also known as the original "OverDrive" socket, that's why there's no "Socket 1" label on some of them). Sockets 2 and 3 have an additional outer row of pins for the Pentium Overdrive.

Reply 3 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-12-21, 15:08:

That's a Socket 1 actually (also known as the original "OverDrive" socket, that's why there's no "Socket 1" label on some of them). Sockets 2 and 3 have an additional outer row of pins for the Pentium Overdrive.

Whoops, completely right. My bad!😅

Reply 7 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirMacke wrote on 2022-12-22, 07:40:

So what should I look for on ebay, will and work?
And for the socket, I can't find a match really.

Technically an Intel 486dx4-100 OVERDRIVE should also work fine understanding that you need the 5v chip. (Overdrive)

At higher expense there are also special voltage regulated AMD & Cyrix 5x86 overdrive chips (on an interposer) that were made specifically to upgrade old 5 volt systems like yours.
Sadly it’s hard to know if your bios will freak out from a too fast cpu

Reply 9 of 10, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically any Intel 486 DX2 66MHz will do. There are ones that say OverDrive with markings like DX2ODPR66 or ODPR486DX-33, but they're just regular DX2 66MHz. The only advantage of those is that they come with an attached heatsink.

Reply 10 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fastest cpus you could try would probably be a pod83, dx4wb, amd 133 586,cyrix 586 120,133.

Those would require mods though. As they are 3.3v and/or have a extra row of pins.

The extra row of pins are mostly power pins so the easiest to try would be a pod83 using a lif socket to raise the cpu over the outer missing row of pins. As it is a 5v ready cpu

However, the others require 3.3v if memory serves.

So something like my socket 1/2/3 tweaker would be required.

Also you may need bios update

Socket 1/2/3 Voltage Interposer Tweaker (Alpha)

DIY Bios Modding guide Jan Steunebrink k6-2+/3+ 128gb

https://dependency-injection.com/pentium-on-a … 86-motherboard/

There is also the overdrive that others suggested but it’s not as fast.

Personally, I think the best option is a pod83 or cyrix 100/120/133. Best would be using the interposer. My interposer allows setting of some option pins on extra row and powering of extra row of pins on the pod, and 3.3v for the others.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)