VOGONS

First post, by czar_roland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy,

I have been working on and enjoying my Dell Dimension XPS T700r with Pheonix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0. I recently installed a Startech CF-IDE adapter. I purchased this with a 2GB card so that I could boot up DOS 6.22 without having to fuss with partitioning the 80GB IDE HDD that Windows 98se is installed on.

Today I got it in my head that I wanted to experiment with a 64GB UDMA7 SanDisk CF card for a clean Windows 98se install (I understand about the freezes). I figured since the 2gb card works, and my 80gb HDD works, this wouldn't be a problem.

I was wrong.

Basically the machine will not recognize the card as a hard drive when it is inserted. The BIOS is set so that the secondary IDE master is on "auto". This works great for the 2GB card, but not the 64gb.

I am assuming that I need to fiddle with the IDE configuration, but that is where I am lost. I do not have a USB CF reader because Amazon can't deliver to my area until the 28th.

Do you all have any suggestions? I'd love to get this working and it feels like I am just missing something.

Thank you all very much!

Reply 1 of 3, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but it seems to me that you installed it as a secondary Master, correct?
Did you tried it as a primary master in the Primary IDE (and nothing else)?

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 2 of 3, by czar_roland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. The CF-IDE adapter is connected as a secondary master and that works great with the 2GB card. The 64GB card is not detected when connected in this configuration. I will test out connecting the adapter as the Primary Master this evening and report back.

Thank you very much for your reply.