VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I tried many drivers from the Vogons library for CT4810 SB but running the setups normally never works, the card is not identified and updated in Device Manager (always with the question mark after). Trying via updating the driver in Device Manager doesn't work as it always says it doesn't find any driver to update the hardware with: "the selected location does not contain an updated driver for your device".

I understand now it's a particularly difficult card to deal with in regards to Windows 95 from what I've seen, this particular link alludes to that: http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/72/72999.htm

Quote: "Creative Labs CT4810 Driver. Windows 95 98, NT and DOS !!!!
Finally! A Vibra 128 PCI Driver COMPLETE!! Yes, after banging my head against the wall for roughly the 42nd time, I finally got the drivers for the near-obsolete, and abandoned Vibra 128 chipset. Yes, Creative Labs created the chipset and they no longer support it, so I dug up a version for Windows 95\98\NT and DOS. Now with complete wavesets, yes folks! MIDI wavetable support! Good Luck, and oh yea, next time get a less obsolete soundcard, I know I will !!!"

But when I go to download the file it only downloads some "DriverFixWebDL" program BS. Is there anyone around here that's been through this ordeal that has working drivers for Win95 and DOS, or even the ones in that page?

Many thanks for your time and replies, happy holidays!

Last edited by andre_6 on 2022-12-24, 05:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try searching the windows ME install cd and installed files

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-23, 02:51:

Try searching the windows ME install cd and installed files

I'm what you would call a newbie in many respects, are you suggesting trying to find drivers through the WinME CD in Device Manager? (Realised you meant 95, tried it, but Windows found nothing)

Reply 3 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Find a windows ME cd and search it from device manager. Or search the files from a ME install.

Yes from device manager. Try auto search option if it has it.

ME drivers will probably work on 95

If that is a non plug and play card you need to go to device manager and select find new hardware and see if it can detect it

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-23, 03:20:
Find a windows ME cd and search it from device manager. Or search the files from a ME install. […]
Show full quote

Find a windows ME cd and search it from device manager. Or search the files from a ME install.

Yes from device manager. Try auto search option if it has it.

If that is a non plug and play card you need to go to device manager and select find new hardware and see if it can detect it

Tried both Win95 and ME, but Windows found nothing

Reply 6 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2022-12-23, 03:26:

I have no idea if this will help, bu those two top files may be of some help?

http://pub.agrarix.net/Windows/Creative/

Thank you, grateful for all the help I can get, I'm compiling some more I'm finding around to try once more too, please don't hesitate to point me out to some more as well. These particular cards are quite confusing drivers wise from what I've been reading even in Vogons, but still didn't find a direct indication to specific drivers for the CT4810 for Windows 95 and DOS, shame

Reply 7 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try searching for non plug and play hardware?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ohh yes, my friend had a SB128 PCI and had terrible time finding the driver a few years ago. If Liqmat's does not work you could try searching for CT-5880 driver, that is the actual chip on my friends SB128 PCI.
I assume it is same for you.
Added: what is Hardware ID ? it could be same as ct1373 like DEV_1371.DeviceDesc%=DEV1371.Device,PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_5880
If so this may work (has DOS, Win9x, etc drivers) just a thought..: https://archive.org/details/sb128_multi_OS

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 21, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not necessarily. The built-in sound card drivers from WinME are usually in WDM format. Win95 doesn't support that and needs VxD drivers.

To the original poster, take a photo of your card so that the markings on the main chip are clearly visible. There are several revisions of the CT4810 and some of them might need a specific driver version. Lastly, try going to Creative's support website. A few years ago, they still hosted drivers for most of their 90s sound cards. Not sure if that's still the case though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 21, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andre_6 wrote on 2022-12-23, 02:50:
Hello everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone,

I tried many drivers from the Vogons library for CT4810 SB but running the setups normally never works, the card is not identified and updated in Device Manager (always with the question mark after). Trying via updating the driver in Device Manager doesn't work as it always says it doesn't find any driver to update the hardware with: "the selected location does not contain an updated driver for your device".

I understand now it's a particularly difficult card to deal with in regards to Windows 95 from what I've seen, this particular link alludes to that: http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/72/72999.htm

Quote: "Creative Labs CT4810 Driver. Windows 95 98, NT and DOS !!!!
Finally! A Vibra 128 PCI Driver COMPLETE!! Yes, after banging my head against the wall for roughly the 42nd time, I finally got the drivers for the near-obsolete, and abandoned Vibra 128 chipset. Yes, Creative Labs created the chipset and they no longer support it, so I dug up a version for Windows 95\98\NT and DOS. Now with complete wavesets, yes folks! MIDI wavetable support! Good Luck, and oh yea, next time get a less obsolete soundcard, I know I will !!!"

But when I go to download the file it only downloads some "DriverFixWebDL" program BS. Is there anyone around here that's been through this ordeal that has working drivers for Win95 and DOS, or even the ones in that page?

Many thanks for your time and replies, happy holidays!

Photo PLS! There are many fake-creative boards in the wild

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 11 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

according to the Creative archive master part # list: CT4810 = Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
"Sound Blaster PCI 128 4 speaker CT5880
Sound Blaster Audio PCI CT5800
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI/PCI16 CT4815
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI CT4810
Sound Blaster PCI 128 Varpak CT4751
Sound Blaster PCI 128 CT4750
Sound Blaster PCI128 English/French CT4700"
So you probably need these Win9x drivers:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021116211134/htt … Centric=15&OS=3
which leads here: https://support.creative.com/downloads/search … ame=SB&nPage=37

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for all replies, got back into the issue right now and found this useful page with the revisions: https://www.pc-schnulli.de/hardw/skpci/crskpci.html

Babasha wrote on 2022-12-23, 09:46:

Photo PLS! There are many fake-creative boards in the wild

My card is the one pictured here, with the yellow joystick port.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-12-23, 06:18:

Not necessarily. The built-in sound card drivers from WinME are usually in WDM format. Win95 doesn't support that and needs VxD drivers.

To the original poster, take a photo of your card so that the markings on the main chip are clearly visible. There are several revisions of the CT4810 and some of them might need a specific driver version. Lastly, try going to Creative's support website. A few years ago, they still hosted drivers for most of their 90s sound cards. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Hello Joseph_Joestar, hope this helps, if not I will have to move around some stuff to reach the PC and take a photo of the card.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-23, 04:29:

Did you try searching for non plug and play hardware?

Will confirm that when I install the next ones, thanks

Horun wrote on 2022-12-23, 04:40:
Ohh yes, my friend had a SB128 PCI and had terrible time finding the driver a few years ago. If Liqmat's does not work you could […]
Show full quote

Ohh yes, my friend had a SB128 PCI and had terrible time finding the driver a few years ago. If Liqmat's does not work you could try searching for CT-5880 driver, that is the actual chip on my friends SB128 PCI.
I assume it is same for you.
Added: what is Hardware ID ? it could be same as ct1373 like DEV_1371.DeviceDesc%=DEV1371.Device,PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_5880
If so this may work (has DOS, Win9x, etc drivers) just a thought..: https://archive.org/details/sb128_multi_OS

Horun wrote on 2022-12-23, 15:18:
according to the Creative archive master part # list: CT4810 = Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI "Sound Blaster PCI 128 4 speaker CT58 […]
Show full quote

according to the Creative archive master part # list: CT4810 = Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
"Sound Blaster PCI 128 4 speaker CT5880
Sound Blaster Audio PCI CT5800
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI/PCI16 CT4815
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI CT4810
Sound Blaster PCI 128 Varpak CT4751
Sound Blaster PCI 128 CT4750
Sound Blaster PCI128 English/French CT4700"
So you probably need these Win9x drivers:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021116211134/htt … Centric=15&OS=3
which leads here: https://support.creative.com/downloads/search … ame=SB&nPage=37

Thanks Horun will get them now, if my specific card leads you to some more possibilities please keep me posted, or even if your friend you mentioned still has the drivers he used at the time still at hand's reach! Edit: at Creative's page when I click "show details" or the drivers title nothing happens and no download either, tried many browsers too...

Attachments

Reply 13 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm fairly confident I found the drivers but I'm starting to think there's more to this. My sound card is a CT4810 with CT5880 chip, and I found these drivers which are described as such, even if the user installed them in win98:

"i have the ct4810 and the chip says ct5880. it has 3 jacks on it (yellow, pink and green)and a gameport. if you have this card or a similar one, this is your driver. this is not the update, this is the real deal." https://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php? … 880-48xx-driver!

I was able to find that file, and also more drivers through the CT4810/CT 5880 combination. None of those work, whether through setup or device manager. "Add new hardware" didn't work either. I mean they're win9x drivers, so it has to be it.

So is this just a fake Creative card?...

Attachments

Reply 14 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uninstalled everything and deleted all registry entries just in case and installed a CT4830 that I used to have in this computer just to see if it would still work.

Now it's this card that giving me the same problem, Windows is not detecting any drivers just like with the CT4810, even when I already had the CT4830 on this computer in the past! I wanted to change it due to slow music in DOS emulation, it wasn't keeping up with the video in DOS box/DOS.

So there's something definitely wrong with this Win95 computer, if anyone knows why this is happening I'll try any solution, if not I guess I'll have to format and start over

Reply 15 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andre_6 wrote on 2022-12-23, 19:27:

Uninstalled everything and deleted all registry entries just in case and installed a CT4830 that I used to have in this computer just to see if it would still work.

Now it's this card that giving me the same problem, Windows is not detecting any drivers just like with the CT4810, even when I already had the CT4830 on this computer in the past! I wanted to change it due to slow music in DOS emulation, it wasn't keeping up with the video in DOS box/DOS.

So there's something definitely wrong with this Win95 computer, if anyone knows why this is happening I'll try any solution, if not I guess I'll have to format and start over

Do you have a resource conflict? What does the bios screen after post, before windows say?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-23, 22:14:
andre_6 wrote on 2022-12-23, 19:27:

Do you have a resource conflict? What does the bios screen after post, before windows say?

I am trying to format but I was only able to do fdisk, forgot to format c: right away and when I rebooted to do format c: my boot floppy won't boot at all, just has the floppy drive light on and a blinking cursor on the top left. The same if I try to boot from a Win98 CD for example, Cd-ROM spins, light on, but same blinking cursor.

I used to have EZ Bios to have 4x2GB partitions, and now I wanted to repeat the process but didn't even get to that

Reply 17 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Order a gotek. Floppies are a pain. Very worth while investment.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 18 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a motherboard issue if both floppy and cdrom are now not working. Maybe the PCI sound card problem was a early tell-tale that something deeper was going on.

Reply 19 of 21, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-24, 01:36:

Sounds like a motherboard issue if both floppy and cdrom are now not working. Maybe the PCI sound card problem was a early tell-tale that something deeper was going on.

I passed the EZ Bios hurdles, there are so many nuances in it that it's easy for me to make mistakes, now I have a clean Win95 install. A recap:

Before formatting, I went into Safe Mode and removed the "Multimedia Audio PCI" from the Device Manager, turned off the PC, switched from the CT4810 to the CT4830 just to see if it would work again, and it recognized immediately in plug and play when starting Win95, asked for specific files, etc. Worked perfectly, but for the DOS music issues that made me want to replace it in the first place.

After that, I completely uninstalled everything, cleaned registry entries and individually removed the CT4830's driver files from the Windows' system folder. Reinstalled the CT4810 in the case, and started the PC. This time, not only it recognized it as a sb128pci, it asked for specific files which I was more than happy to provide from the latest CD I burned. One file or another even had to be plucked from different driver folders, like A3d.dll. Sound worked perfectly after, but because this Windows installation was kind of janky by this point I proceeded to format.

Passing the EZBios hurdles and now with a fresh install, it won't even recognize both sound cards or accept drivers via the plug and play method on startup (through Device Manager it never worked anyway). Windows 95 is now asking me for two things: PCI Multimedia Audio drivers, and PCI Input Controller drivers. This Vectra VA6 is the horizontal case with a riser card with PCI and ISA slots.

From my beginner standpoint seems to me that it's either something to do with PCI interpretation issues (that don't happen with my Matrox graphics card btw), or because it was a full Win95 install totally customized reinstalling and removing the CT4830's drivers left behind something that was picked up when the CT4810 was installed that identified it immediately and allowed it to work through that particular sequence of events.

Either way, again, now with a fresh Win95 install, and none of these cards are getting recognized via plug and pray or Device Manager. This computer belonged to my grandfather and I would like to keep it as stock as possible, I don't mind messing around with CD's or floppies but this is just too much of a pain to install a simple sound card. I'm thinking just getting an ISA sound card to try and bypass all of this