VOGONS

First post, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The reason I'm doing this is to make certain games that won't play nice on XP do better such as Zoombini's Mountain Rescue/Land Before Time Activity Center and HOPEFULLY Sim City 3000/Unlimited/Copter speed problem from playing too fast. Zoombini's Mountain Rescue says 'Unable to set video mode' until I turn Direct Draw Off causing one level to be fail and Land Before Time Activity center almost works except the 3D Maze game. The controls go all over the place as soon as you move a few feet to collect your first missing object. My idea is Windows 2000 will play better with this old stuff since they're still newer then Dos games.

Dell does have drivers for this OS.https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-in/produ … de-d820/drivers

I was tempted to put Win 98 in but from the few threads I've seen it seems a nightmare to get anything working on it other then booting up so I am going to go for Windows 2000 build but would it wreck both the XP and laptop or just XP? I don't have anything really serious on it but would I get anything important working if I reinstalled either?
Anyway to backup XP before doing it if that's necessary and can I make XP duel boot with 2000 or should I erase XP to put in 2000 then upgrade back to XP with how I mentioned below so they will play nice together instead of being stupid?

If worse comes to worse I can use my PreActivated ISO I always use for VirtualMachines for testing things in a jiffy same with Windows 2000. Just a spoon full of Win and a World helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way. 😁

BTW Bonus Question time: Is XP still supported by Microsoft at all as someone on their forum said 2 years ago that it's time they revise their rules of 'No XP allowed' which the rule isn't what I'm debating. I'm more interested if that guy is right in Microsoft fully abandoning XP to the point the website can now do with what they do on their 9X/ME series ringing in a new era or if he is full of bunk?

Reply 1 of 1, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By default, XP installs to C:\WINDOWS and 2000 installs to C:\WINNT so they won't overwrite each other. (Obviously if you tell it to reformat the disk during setup then everything will still get blown away.) If you want to be able to boot XP after installing 2000 you'll need to keep XP's version of NTLDR around, and then either play musical chairs with the two different NTLDRs or rename it and setup BOOT.INI with a modified boot sector that boots the alternate NTLDR.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad