VOGONS

First post, by Virtua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm playing through a bunch of games on my retro computer and i feel like it's not performing as well as it should. giants: citizen kabuto plays poorly, as does max payne and even unreal if i enable detailed textures. am i wrong in thinking this machine should be more than capable for games from this era?

asus k8v-mx
amd athlon 64 3000+
ati radeon 9600 xt
creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs

there are a couple of things i'm unsure of. firstly, agp fast write is disabled despite enabling this setting in the bios. secondly - and this may be related to the first issue - my board is not strictly an asus k8v-mx, but a k8v-mx/s by fujitsu siemens, aka the d1711. it was a bit difficult to track down updates for the board but i updated the bios to the latest. i've also tried a few versions of the via 4-in-1 drivers for the board, and am currently using the catalyst v6.2 driver. not sure what else i could potentially try, so if anyone has any suggestions i'd be willing to experiment

i've been installing v2.1 of the unofficial service pack so i haven't tried a windows install without it yet but that will probably be my next attempt. i also want to point out that i'm not exactly trying to push the computer to its limits. i've been using a crt that looks real nice at 800 x 600 @ 85hz so, if anything, i want to believe that i'm well within my limits. unless i'm wrong...

win 10 : x570-a pro • ryzen 5900x • geforce rtx 3070 • sound blaster x ae-5 plus
win 98 : k8-vm800 • athlon 3000+ • radeon 9600 • sound blaster live! 5.1

Reply 1 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know Giants: Citizen Kabuto, the other two games should run well even on a PC half this fast with maxed out graphics in higher resolution than what your are using. This should be a triple-digit-frame-rate PC for those games.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 6, by Virtua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the confirmation. i have a vague memory of playing half-life 2 with my 9600 xt (the card even came with a code for the game) back in 2004 with acceptable framerates so i was a bit confused by how this current computer is running. not sure what the problem could be. my first thought is the board but it's a stab in the dark

win 10 : x570-a pro • ryzen 5900x • geforce rtx 3070 • sound blaster x ae-5 plus

Reply 3 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Virtua wrote on 2022-12-23, 12:26:

there are a couple of things i'm unsure of. firstly, agp fast write is disabled despite enabling this setting in the bios. secondly - and this may be related to the first issue - my board is not strictly an asus k8v-mx, but a k8v-mx/s by fujitsu siemens, aka the d1711. it was a bit difficult to track down updates for the board but i updated the bios to the latest.

Updating the BIOS to the latest version is likely what caused the performance drop. See this thread for more details. With that board, you want to stick with the earliest possible BIOS version, something like v0112.

i've been installing v2.1 of the unofficial service pack so i haven't tried a windows install without it yet but that will probably be my next attempt.

Don't use unofficial service packs. Apply this Microsoft Security Update CD instead. If you need USB flash stick access then install Nusb 3.3 as well. Don't use the newer Nusb 3.6 because that version messes with Win98 system files.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 6, by Virtua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you for the help! will try everything suggested, but reading through the link you provided i see that you've personally experienced almost identical issues to me, including agp texture acceleration being disabled under dxdiag. that was something i noticed the other day but slipped my mind until i saw your post

Reply 5 of 6, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is another thread related to this issue - Not Another Ultimate Windows 98 Build

My MSI K8T Neo V has the same problem in Windows 98. Fortunately I never intended it being used as a Windows 98 machine. Solving this issue will need someone to fix VIA AGP driver to initialize correctly. Most likely it completely fails to initialize and AGP ends up functioning as a faster PCI.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 6 of 6, by Virtua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i flashed the board's bios to the absolute earliest and it worked... somewhat. performance is definitely better in all games but still not as great as i expected. max payne still has performance issues even at 800 x 600 with anti-aliasing disabled. agp texture acceleration under dxdiag is now enabled but i still can't get agp fast write to work, though i can't imagine that would make a huge difference. i downloaded every bios release from the official site so i don't mind trying different versions but to avoid this headache altogether i may try a different board