VOGONS

First post, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, does anyone know how I can boot windows xp like I did before I installed EasyBCD? I want to remove the NST folder it created and boot as normal.

Duron 800mhz 256mb ram geforce2 mx Windows 98se
K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
djsabreblade.bandcamp.com

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/bcd- … up-and-restore/
First restore the original BCD (assuming you made a backup), then you can delete all the files

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a backup! So basically I added the xp option back into the windows 7 bootloader with bcdedit but now when i try to boot into xp i get ''replace ntoskrnl.exe'' error. any idea what i can do to boot back into xp?

K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you explain your current setup ? What OS is on C, D, etc. Are they on separate HD's or on same HD....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 9 drives. xp is on c: and 7 is on e: now i can't even get into xp even with making an an easybcd entry for xp! this is the worst disaster. xp just resets now if i try and boot into it. i've tried to fixboot, fixmbr, del boot.ini..nothing works i can't get into my windows xp. 🙁 if i would have known that easy bcd would screw up my system this bad i never would have installed it. 🙁
I even tried to repair my xp install. any ideas? please help if you can i'm truely at my wits end here.

edit : Looks like somehow i'm stuck in an xp setup 'upgrade loop 'even though my boot.ini is fine. 🙁 ''this computer is already in the process of being upgraded to microsoft windows'' maybe if i could manually somehow copy the temporary files to the c: drive on that setup needs i could at least get back into xp but i don't know how to do that.

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you need to try bootpart 2.5 from a bootable floppy, it can restore the proper XP boot sector MBR and can create a valid boot .ini.
I Never had much luck with XP's repair console....

Reply 6 of 6, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fixed it by unplugging all ssd drives except the xp drive. i was able to do a repair install of windows, thank God! Why that worked i'm not sure maybe my P8Z77-V PRO bios kept wanting to boot from the windows 7 drive? The only other issue i have now is XP will hang at the xp loading logo (loading forever...) if i boot into windows 7 and shutdown or restart (either one makes no difference). The only thing I can do is hold the power switch down and hard reset. Then the next time i can boot into xp no problem. Kind of annoying. Any idea what I can do about that?

edit ; fixed it by God's grace by uninstalling ipoint 6.1, gary's utlities, etc.. updated amd 7970 hdmi driver now i can boot into 7, restart, and boot into xp with zero issues and its fast 😀.