20221223_234455.jpg
Filename
20221223_234455.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I recently got this interesting 440LX Slot 1 motherboard. I believe it is from a Sony Vaio PCV-210 or 230 but I am unsure. It is a neat board. Has integrated Yamaha OPL3 and OPL4 chips onboard. Similar to several other 440LX Slot 1s that inhave that are Dell and Gateway OEM'd. No integrated video though. Only audio.

Curious if anyone is able to identify this board and where exactly it came? Will 440LX drivers work or should I attempt to locate a Sony disk for this machine?

Has a cute little musical jingle on power boot. The OPL3 chip seems to be picked up in Windows 98 SE but curious if drivers are needed for the OPL4? Curious if Yamaha 718S / 719 drivers might work.

Thank you all for your time.

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 2 of 12, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-12-28, 04:01:
Sony's PCV-2xx systems do indeed use that motherboard... […]
Show full quote

Sony's PCV-2xx systems do indeed use that motherboard...

vaio_1_s.jpg

vaio_2_s.jpg

vaio_3_s.jpg

vaio_4_s.jpg

Have access to any software or drivers by any chance? Do I need to do anything to get OPL4 working?

Reply 3 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-12-28, 04:33:

Have access to any software or drivers by any chance? Do I need to do anything to get OPL4 working?

I'm just using the Intel-provided drivers (for Windows 95), which I've put in an archive here, if that's at all helpful:

https://www.symphoniae.com/misc/PCV2XX95.zip

The only Sony-specific software that I'm aware of would be the modified version of the "ATi Player" video application, which you won't need to worry about.

Reply 4 of 12, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-12-28, 05:06:
I'm just using the Intel-provided drivers (for Windows 95), which I've put in an archive here, if that's at all helpful: […]
Show full quote
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-12-28, 04:33:

I'm just using the Intel-provided drivers (for Windows 95), which I've put in an archive here, if that's at all helpful:

https://www.symphoniae.com/misc/PCV2XX95.zip

The only Sony-specific software that I'm aware of would be the modified version of the "ATi Player" video application, which you won't need to worry about.

Nothing that you know of for the onboard OPL4?

20220605_222237.jpg
Filename
20220605_222237.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-12-28, 05:28:

Nothing that you know of for the onboard OPL4?

Not with my setup at least. That is, the YMF721 behaves as an external/standalone MIDI synthesizer (like a Wave Blaster on an SB16), and responds to any playback directed at the YMF715E/OPL3-SA's MPU port.

Reply 7 of 12, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finally got a chance to work more with the system. Does detect and use both OPL4 chips in windows. However the MIDI playback will slow down and change tempo if you move the mouse or around on the keyboard.

Presume there is some kind of IRQ or DMA conflict??? Happens inside Win98 and outside in DOS.

Reply 8 of 12, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a standard Intel 440LX board, my Micron has one identical to this. I believe the yamaha chips were an option from intel on those boards for the manufactures to decide on.

I have seen that board with the yamaha chips from Micron, Dell and Gateway (Not 100% positive on Gateway) machines as well. Sometimes you would find the 715 chip and not the 721 and other times with both (most the time with neither). I didnt not know they had those in Sony machines but does not surprise me.

I think I'm just using the drivers that came on the Micron disks

Reply 9 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-12-29, 06:43:

So I finally got a chance to work more with the system. Does detect and use both OPL4 chips in windows. However the MIDI playback will slow down and change tempo if you move the mouse or around on the keyboard.

I haven't experienced this myself, but one reference suggests disabling "Legacy USB Support" in the BIOS as a possible solution, if currently enabled.

Reply 10 of 12, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-12-29, 16:35:
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-12-29, 06:43:

I haven't experienced this myself, but one reference suggests disabling "Legacy USB Support" in the BIOS as a possible solution, if currently enabled.

Superb news. That was definitely it. Working well within system. Now I just need to figure out why certain games are not saving their music settings. Raptor for example will not see any music device and keep resetting to GUS after exit saving and re entering the setup.

Reply 11 of 12, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Vanessaira. Here it is the board you own, AL440LX. You will find manual and other info in the downloads tab.
Because your variant also has YMF we kindly ask you to contribute with a photo (see bottom of the page). In the meantime we'll put the Sony OEM information there.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 12 of 12, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-02-05, 11:29:

Hi Vanessaira. Here it is the board you own, AL440LX. You will find manual and other info in the downloads tab.
Because your variant also has YMF we kindly ask you to contribute with a photo (see bottom of the page). In the meantime we'll put the Sony OEM information there.

Absolutely!

My friend retrobee has already submitted a few boards on my behalf there on The Retro Web discord. I will upload it when I can.

V