VOGONS

First post, by willinliv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm in process of putting together some retro gaming PCs. One of these a Gateway 2000 G6-300 PII 300MHz (Intel al440LX), which I had access to as a kid and have designs for being a souped up Win98SE gaming machine. Originally had 8GB spinning hard drive so looking to update this. As a beginner have tried a few things. Have tried CF>IDE and works well up to 8GB which is one good option, but concerned about Win98 impact. Secondly XTIDE card from a recent Amstrad PC1640 build - but find the IDE on the card really slows down irretrievably the same known-good CF etc. Have tried plugging a 128gb ssd into one of the motherboards IDE channels, via a SATA to IDE adapter, in parallel to the XTIDE card - the option rom appears after the initial boot screen but it doesn't seem to facilitate larger disk sizes. Finally settling (maybe for now) on using OnTrack to apply a disk overlay to the same 128GB SSD - so far it looks like OnTrack just sets up a single 128GB FAT32 partition which Windows98SE is happy to install into, I cannot see anything different in bios (still tops out LBA at 65gb) but the full disk is accessible, and I have put it under some load and no problems so far so happy with this, might try to do a second install seeing if can configure the partition to 120GB instead for safety.

Anyway, I wasn't sure which SATA to IDE Adapters would be best so bought a load from online to test. Thought I would share in case it's of use for someone else in 2023. They all look much of a muchness to me. All tested with the same SSD (sandisk x300s) connected via the motherboard IDE, and with CrystalDiskMark. Some of them, particularly the thinner format ones seem a bit flimsy, also many don't have the slave/master jumpers. I was concerned that SATAIII drives would not be supported, only the Startech said this would be ok, but all seemed to work fine. Most are ~£7, the Startech is £20. I can't work out how to insert a table so please see attached image file for results

Attachments