VOGONS

First post, by SRodney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the following setup

Motherboard: Tyan Tiger MPX (with working usb)
CPUs: 2x AMD Athlon MP 2800+
RAM: 3x Crucial 1GB DDR 266 ECC REG
GPU: PNY Quadro FX (BIOS Flashed as GeForce FX 5950 Ultra)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (Planning to upgrade to Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS)
Add-in 1: Startech PCIUSB7 (USB 2.0 Controller with an actual internal header on card for the front panel)
Add-in 2: Syba PCI SATA Raid controller (For the HDD and Optical drives)

PSU: Enermax Modu 82+ 550W

This is the component i'm "worried" about. It's a very good PSU but, it's got 24A on 3.3V and 24A on 5V... and from what I've read on these forums, I apparently need 32A on both those rails and a total of at least 150W for 3.3v & 5v rails.

Still, I've run this system for I don't know how long and... It's held very well. No crashes/BSOD, Very good performance (yes, I know I'd get more with an nForce 2 400 Ultra and a single 3200+... that's not an issue for me.. I prefer a responsive multi-core system, XP is awesome with 2 Cores)

Have you guys had any power issue with your Tiger MPX ? I'm simply asking in case I'm unknowingly killing my PSU...

Reply 1 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRodney wrote on 2022-12-30, 00:25:
I have the following setup […]
Show full quote

I have the following setup

Motherboard: Tyan Tiger MPX (with working usb)
CPUs: 2x AMD Athlon MP 2800+
RAM: 3x Crucial 1GB DDR 266 ECC REG
GPU: PNY Quadro FX (BIOS Flashed as GeForce FX 5950 Ultra)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (Planning to upgrade to Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS)
Add-in 1: Startech PCIUSB7 (USB 2.0 Controller with an actual internal header on card for the front panel)
Add-in 2: Syba PCI SATA Raid controller (For the HDD and Optical drives)

PSU: Enermax Modu 82+ 550W

This is the component i'm "worried" about. It's a very good PSU but, it's got 24A on 3.3V and 24A on 5V... and from what I've read on these forums, I apparently need 32A on both those rails and a total of at least 150W for 3.3v & 5v rails.

Still, I've run this system for I don't know how long and... It's held very well. No crashes/BSOD, Very good performance (yes, I know I'd get more with an nForce 2 400 Ultra and a single 3200+... that's not an issue for me.. I prefer a responsive multi-core system, XP is awesome with 2 Cores)

Have you guys had any power issue with your Tiger MPX ? I'm simply asking in case I'm unknowingly killing my PSU...

You should install motherboard Monitor or a similar bit of hardware monitoring software in order to keep an eye on your +5 volt rail. I've watched power supplies that should have been good enough for a Socket A system slowly but surely have the +5 voltage drop until it was clear that another power supply would be needed.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 5, by SRodney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-12-30, 00:42:

I haven't had any issues with my Tiger MPX system (also dual 2800+s, Radeon 9700 Pro.) I'd worry more about 5V rails if the board didn't use 12V for CPU power.

The 12v 4-pin connector is provided with the Enermax Modu 82+, it is connected to the board (not the Molex tho).

I'll also try to check for the 5v rail with a monitoring software.
What exactly should I check for it ? if Voltage goes down ? At what value should I start worrying ?

Reply 4 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My understanding is that if your motherboard has the P4 connector then the +5 volt issue with modern power supplies doesn't apply. I have no experience with dual Socket A motherboards but AFAIK that still applies.

With a Socket A board that doesn't have the P4, if the +5 starts dipping down below 4.7 volts it typically (in my experience) will soon start having sudden shut down/reboot issues

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 5, by SRodney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-12-30, 13:46:

My understanding is that if your motherboard has the P4 connector then the +5 volt issue with modern power supplies doesn't apply. I have no experience with dual Socket A motherboards but AFAIK that still applies.

With a Socket A board that doesn't have the P4, if the +5 starts dipping down below 4.7 volts it typically (in my experience) will soon start having sudden shut down/reboot issues

Ahh thanks dude !

I have an old Amptron microATX Socket A board without the P4 connector. It's currently slotted with a Duron 950 but I do have 2 spare Athlon 1200 (came with the Tiger MPX when I got it on ebay)... Might try to upgrade it. The Manual specifies that Athlon 1200 is the absolute max it can handle... and that I'd need for Athlon/Duron: "SPS" of 200W/150W and 5v rail of 22A/14A. I'll know what to check for when I select a Power Supply for it.