VOGONS

First post, by finalspace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

i want to build a retro system for me and my sister, that can play old games from the 1996-2001 area with my existing 3dfx voodoo 2 card under win98 and DOS, but in a micro-ATX case and not to expensive (< 200 euros).

Additionally i need two S-ATA ports and two PCI slots and one AGP slot for:
- Existing S-ATA SSD
- Existing S-ATA DVD-Drive
- Existing voodoo 2 PCI card (hopefully working)
- A good but cheap AGP graphics card
- A Yamaha OPL3 PCI sound card (I looked for creative cards, but only the PCI128 PCI would be suitable)

So with that features in mind, i was looking around the internet and found a few suitable mainboards, but the ASROCK P4i65G Socket 478 seems the choice in terms of features.

Now i have a list of parts but i am unsure if all those are compatible with each other:

Case: LC-Power 1404MB (seems to be the smallest case i could find)
PSU: be quiet! SFX Power 3 ATX (300 W)
MB: ASROCK P4i65G Socket 478
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (either 1,8A GHz or the 3 GHz model)
RAM: 256 or 512 MB DDR-266
GPU: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP (is very cheap)
Sound: Yamaha YMF724F-V PCI
3D Accel: 3DFX Voodoo 2 PCI

Now i have a few questions:
1. Which CPU model: the P4 1,8A without HT or the 3 GHz with HT? Or something between? 3 GHz bundes with RAM and cooler and more affordable.
2. Is the P4 CPU too fast for DOS games?
3. How compatible is the sound card, for games like lemmings?
4. How hard is it to get the S-ATA working under win98 SE? Or should i rather use a IDE to SATA adapter?

Thanks in regards,
Final

Reply 1 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
finalspace wrote on 2022-12-30, 12:05:

GPU: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP (is very cheap)

Cheap for a reason. Get any Geforce (2/4) MX. Those are also cheap and offer much better performance in late-era games where the Voodoo2 is too slow.

1. Which CPU model: the P4 1,8A without HT or the 3 GHz with HT? Or something between? 3 GHz bundes with RAM and cooler and more affordable.

Either one shoul be fine. You won't benefit from HT in W98/DOS. Basically anything that comes with that board is more than fast enough for your time frame.
I'd prefer lower clocked P4 CPUs for less heat production.

2. Is the P4 CPU too fast for DOS games?

Yes and no. For speed sensitive ones, it will be too fast, but in your time frame there aren't too many speed sensitive games. There is none that comes to my mind right now.

3. How compatible is the sound card, for games like lemmings?

Lemmings is not a 1996-2001 game. It's a 1991 game. If you go back that far, speed sensitivity can become an issue with the P4, but it will already be an issue with a Pentium MMX.

As for the sound card itself, it's one of the most compatible PCI sound card. A close second to ESS Solo-1.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my opinion there are a few possible problems with your setup.

The P4 indeed is too fast for some games. With this bar you could better be aiming at the faster win 9x gaming. For Dos a lower P2 or P55 MMX would be more flexible.

The matrox has some vesa problems for some dos games. I'd suggest finding a Geforce 4 mx440 or Ti series. Those still have good vesa support and are fast enough in Windows 98 as well.

The voodoo 2 will be stressed but the P4, make sure it has extra cooling sinks and airflow. You might want to look into the Geforce Ti with nGlide as well on a system this fast. The voodoo world be more at home in some P2/P3/K6-2.

If the sound card has stable Dos drivers, it is likely the card will support most sound blaster based games. But the exact details of this specific card I don't know.

For Windows 9x 512MB ram is fine, but be aware that some games refuse to run with more than 16MB or 64MB.

SATA in Windows 9x is a mixed bag, all depends on the drivers. Dos won't have real problems mostly.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 5, by finalspace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would love to use older parts - but i haven´t found any micro ATX motherboards for socket 7 or even slot 1 - except for INTEL RC440BX 719448-205, but the board alone is very expensive compared to the P4i65G.

Reply 4 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like the others said, get an older GeForce card which is a nice compromise between DOS and Windows. Since you're planning to build a computer with a Pentium 4 CPU, go for the GeForce4 Ti 4200.

Certain DOS games with Glide support will have issues (black screen at startup for example) on faster CPUs, I verified that with a PIII-750. Windows games supporting it works fine though.

About PCI sound cards with DOS compatibility, stay away from the Creative ones as it requires EMM386 to be loaded prior and the SB16 emulation isn't great. Use a Yamaha sound card instead for this purpose.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS