VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm planning out a build for a Tandy 1000 TL restoration. I've already done a similar build with a Tandy TL/2, but since the Tandy TL has five ISA slots versus the TL/2's four, I've got a whole extra ISA slot to play around with.

For the first four ISA slots, I'm thinking the following:

• 8-bit VGA card (Paradise PVGA1A or equivalent)
  • MediaVision Thunder Board (OPL2 Adlib/SB + joystick port)
  • Lo-tech MIF-IPC-B MIDI card (for use with Roland MPU-401 MIDI processing unit)
  • Blue Lava Systems XT-IDE / CF adapter card

This basically mirrors my current Tandy TL/2 setup.

For the 5th ISA slot, I'm thinking of maybe adding in a 2MB EMS memory expansion board? Not sure if that is worth it or if there's a better option.

I also have a 286-to-486 upgrade I'm planning to use in this system, so I'm wondering if that will make the extra memory useful. Though I don't expect monstrous performance given the 8-bit/XT architecture underlying the Tandy 1000 TL.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 3, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't recall if I've yet tried a Thunder Board in a TL, but in my experience, software-configurable cards that tri-state the DMA signals, such as the SB16 or PAS16, tend to behave best in the PSSJ-bearing Tandy systems.

Your card selection seems pretty solid otherwise. An EMS board is a worthwhile addition - several game titles can leverage that memory, as will Windows 3.0 and the GeoWorks variants.

My current TL/3 setup includes an XT-IDE, RAMpAT!-Plus, SB16 w/ASP, and a Mach32-based ATI Graphics Ultra+. If the TL/3 had the fifth ISA slot of the TL, I would similarly consider installing one of the Roland MPU variants, if only just to cover the Legend Entertainment titles.

tl3_s.jpg

Reply 2 of 3, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-12-30, 20:27:

I don't recall if I've yet tried a Thunder Board in a TL, but in my experience, software-configurable cards that tri-state the DMA signals, such as the SB16 or PAS16, tend to behave best in the PSSJ-bearing Tandy systems.

I tried a PAS16 in my Tandy TL/2, but had issues with overly low audio output. Plus I seem to remember its drivers chewing up RAM that I didn't want to spare.

In contrast, the Thunder Board works nicely as a clean-out Adlib with a joystick port. SB output is noisy on it though.

My current TL/3 setup includes an XT-IDE, RAMpAT!-Plus, SB16 w/ASP, and a Mach32-based ATI Graphics Ultra+. If the TL/3 had the fifth ISA slot of the TL, I would similarly consider installing one of the Roland MPU variants, if only just to cover the Legend Entertainment titles.

That is a nice looking setup. Is that running the stock processor or did you upgrade it?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards