VOGONS

First post, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got an HP T5710 slim client to use as a retro computer. I couldn't find a larger DOM for the unit and the one it came with was 256mb. So I bought a 2.5 inch 44 pin female to female ide cable and a 44 pin male ide to female sata adapter. I am also using a 120gb sata drive. I got everything hooked up and BIOS recognizes the 120gb drive, so we're good there.

I followed a guide and used easy2boot to create a usb thumbdrive to install windows 98se from. That went well until the part where I have to restart. If I change the boot order from USB back to the hard disk in the computer I get a "invalid system disk" error message. However, if I go back to booting from the USB and on the main menu of easy2boot scroll down to boot from hdd0 (which is the hdd using the adapter) it will load Windows flawlessly.

TLDR: Computer, by default, will not boot from internal hdd, but using a USB drive with easy2boot, I can choose the drive and then boot into windows 98se directly.

Does anyone know what the issue could be or how to fix? Perhaps something messed up in the boot.ini or config.sys files?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn’t sound like the HDD partition is set to system and/or active.

Booting from the USB into the HDD works because the system is able to use the active/system marker on the USB stick to “find” a bootable system, and that USB device is able to hand-off back to the HDD.

Boot into DOS and look at what fdisk thinks the partition information is for the HDD/C Drive.

Reply 2 of 5, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-12-31, 08:20:

Booting from the USB into the HDD works because the system is able to use the active/system marker on the USB stick to “find” a bootable system, and that USB device is able to hand-off back to the HDD.

Boot into DOS and look at what fdisk thinks the partition information is for the HDD/C Drive.

Will do. Ill post a picture of the result. Thanks

Reply 3 of 5, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-12-31, 08:20:

Okay, so I went through the process again and noticed some discrepancies. fdisk shows it is active, but it shows the partition size as 48,935 megabytes which is about 50 gb. That's 01.png.

So then I exited, and did "format c: /s", which is 02.png. It still shows it as 48,935 megabytes instead of the full 120 gb.

After that I did "sys c:" followed by "fdisk /mbr" both of which brought me back to the A: command prompt. So I switched to C: and did "dir/w" and it shows the accurate storage as 114 gb which is 03.png.

Finally, I rebooted, changed the boot drive from USB to the ATA Flash and in 04.png, I get the same Non-system disk message. At this point there is no USB in the computer, only the internal hard drive via the adapters. So it still will not boot with easy2boot on a usb drive.

I want to say the adapters have something to do with it, but if that was case then how can it boot perfectly through easy2boot?

I just don't get this.

Attachments

• 04.png
    Filename
    04.png
    File size
    236.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 03.png
    Filename
    03.png
    File size
    699.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 02.png
    Filename
    02.png
    File size
    808.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 01.png
    Filename
    01.png
    File size
    852.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 5, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I remember the FDISK issue is cosmetic only and is a hang-up from it being a 16-bit application that is limited in its use of 5-digit numbers for capacity.

There is an official updated executable for fdisk that resolves the display of capacity problem, but as it’s cosmetic only I doubt it’s actually relevant to your issue.

What is your BIOS set to in terms of boot and drive options?

I’d also be tempted to try an ME boot disk.

Reply 5 of 5, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-01-01, 10:39:
From what I remember the FDISK issue is cosmetic only and is a hang-up from it being a 16-bit application that is limited in its […]
Show full quote

From what I remember the FDISK issue is cosmetic only and is a hang-up from it being a 16-bit application that is limited in its use of 5-digit numbers for capacity.

There is an official updated executable for fdisk that resolves the display of capacity problem, but as it’s cosmetic only I doubt it’s actually relevant to your issue.

What is your BIOS set to in terms of boot and drive options?

I’d also be tempted to try an ME boot disk.

For Boot options, there are 4 to choose from: ATA Flash, USB , network and disabled. I checked into bios updates, but none of those seem to address or fix anything close to this. I should probably just use a compact flash adapter and a compact flash card as the video shows, I just don't have the hardware and didn't want to have to buy more stuff for it.

I just wish there was a way to take the boot to hdd0 from the easy2boot usb and apply that to whatever on the hard drive so it would just boot. I wouldn't even mind using the easy2boot, but the boot process with it is 3-5 minutes. It's terribly slow.