VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just repaired a PT-2200 that was in very poor condition. After thoroughly cleaning everything I had to replace all 4 SIMM sockets, all the 470µ and 1000µ electrolytics and 3 small 10µ ones. They all had been torn out. The battery holder was missing and about 20 traces on the backside had been cut. The flashed BIOS was not one supporting this board.
I also upgraded L2 cache with 2 additional 32Kx32 PB-SRAM chips for a total of 512K and added the second TAG chip plus a zero Ohm resistor to enable it.

Now I´m reworking the area around the USB header. I already added a missing inductor in the 5V rail and still need to replace 2 missing 47pF ceramic capacitors.

Then there was a (4x) resistor array that´s missing also. One end of each resistor is connected to +5V, the other ends are connected to 2 pins of the DIN-KB connector and 2 pins of the PS-2 KB-connector (not populated) via 4 inductors. Between each inductor and the respective KB-pins there´s a capatitor going to GND:

What do you think is the resistance of the array "RN1"? Here is the best pictures I could find:

array_an1aa.JPG
Filename
array_an1aa.JPG
File size
194.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by majestyk on 2023-01-02, 17:18. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

4k7 seems like a nice value for a ps2 pullup from +5v

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somewhere in my boxes have a PT-2200 but cannot find it yet... if I do will try to take a close up picture of that area..
added: found it. Is a 103 quad SMT, so 10k quad. my 4 year old Iphone SE actually can take half-assed macro pictures 🤣

Attachments

• Image2_pt2200.jpg
    Filename
    Image2_pt2200.jpg
    File size
    116.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    area
    File license
    Public domain
  • Image1_RN1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1_RN1.jpg
    File size
    207.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    close up
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Corner of board says 2.1, it has the 512k cache and most likely needs the 1000 and 470 mf caps replaced like yours, though booted fine last year.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a nice 8K2 array for "RN1" and also replaced "L9". The only components still missing are "C3" and "C4"(47pF).
The pcb around the mounting hole was scratched all over and most components were damaged or missing, someone had tried to remove the mainboard from the case by rotating the whole board countless times without removing the screw first.

array_an1c.JPG
Filename
array_an1c.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

On the backside there are some traces that might need to be bridged. I will test this when the 47pF capacitors are in place.

PT2200_2_2back1.JPG
Filename
PT2200_2_2back1.JPG
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PT2200_2_2b.JPG
Filename
PT2200_2_2b.JPG
File size