VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 64GB DOM (IDE) that I want to use on the I/O card on my 386 system. I have a XT-IDE in a 8-bit ISA slot.

Any suggestions on how to set this up? I understand if I can't use all the space. but 8.4 GB should be usable right?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-03, 05:47:

I have a 64GB DOM (IDE) that I want to use on the I/O card on my 386 system. I have a XT-IDE in a 8-bit ISA slot.

It's really perplexing, for a quick moment I thought you meant 64 MB.
Then I realized that we live in a time in which CF cards already exist in such crazy capacities. 😵

Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-03, 05:47:

Any suggestions on how to set this up? I understand if I can't use all the space. but 8.4 GB should be usable right?

It depends. If FDISK reports the full capacity, then everything should be fine, I suppose.
The partition table contains information about the length of the medium, I think

Programs that rely on MS-DOS for file handling should work as expected.

Windows 3.1x should work fine, too, depending on the swap file settings.
If it uses MS-DOS and a temporary swap file, it's fine.

("Temporary" setting is just using an ordinary file through DOS/int21h, "fixed" setting reads FAT directly via BIOS/int13h and uses a contiguous block of sectors or clusters.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS (and anything DOS-based like Windows 3) use CHS to address HDD sectors. Because of how BIOS accepts CHS parameters you can only have up to 255 heads/platters with 1024 cylinders of 63 sectors each. With sector size being fixed at 512 bytes that gives you 8422686720 bytes of accessible space. There were updates to BIOS to extend the addressing but that requires new mobo or XTIDE and software aware of these improvements. If memory serves you'd need at least Win98 with 32-bit access enabled to bypass that limit.

That's the first limitation, the second is partition size. To have partition greater than 32MB you need DOS 3.31+ (up to 512MB IIRC). To have a partition up to 2GB you need DOS 5+, and anything bigger requires FAT32 (or a true 32-bit OS like Linux or BSD). And FAT32 was introduced only in Win95 OSR2.1, so even the first Win95 will not suppor it. So in general you be wasting all that extra space and possibly even have to be careful about moving the media between different systems because of various methods of CHS translation used.