VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I was reminded earlier of "Computer Reset"... the enormous warehouse full of assorted computer stuff that would probably make most people on this site (or VCfed) go into convulsions. Apparently they finished their liquidation earlier this year, so to all of us that missed out on that experience, it's probably best that we just don't even watch the videos about it, because it's such a tease to see literally thousands of mystery boxes full of stuff that we'll never get to look into. 😁

Now, my question is... are there any other places even remotely close to this in the world? I would be particularly interested in any that are in the Eastern\North Eastern US. I doubt I'll get a chance to go to any, but it sure would be interesting...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If more such places exist and if I wanted to find them, I'd probably start with the assumption that these are currently active in (re)selling all kinds of computer stuff, so start by seeking out (re)sellers of a broad selection of hardware.
Probably (but not necessarily) located in some rural area or wherever there is a lot of space or little rent where their business can go relatively undisturbed (and perhaps unnoticed) and they can store large volumes of stuff without it costing them much at all.
It may be tricky to get into contact with them (but first you gotta find them).

The kind of volume that Computer Reset had is unlikely to be an individual collector.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 11, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CR was a "frozen in time" artifact, which is why it was the way it was and why there was so much vintage stuff there. There are plenty of CR-type businesses still around, but their presence is pretty much online, with no physical retail front like CR had. These places primarily deal in business computers and equipment, but they are often engaged in "electronic waste recycling" as part of their business, so they do occasionally get very small amounts of vintage 80's and 90's PC hardware in their hands and will resell it.

Reply 3 of 11, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you know where, possibly most of the stuff from CR went? The stuff that was still there in the last video mostly went to another computer recycler / refubisher near chicago. This was a good thing as there just wasn't the demand to go through all that poorly stored equipment on the tight conditions they wanted people to haul things off at. So just look around for recyclers; they are around.

Also, there are individuals too that do keep and resell stuff the same as the guy at CR. They're just not hyped like CR. Just keep an eye out.

Reply 5 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-01-03, 17:20:

Oh man. Yeah, that's probably an amazing place to wander through. 😁

EDIT: Hoollly cow...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU20BMzX0AAgCQw?f … =jpg&name=large

Look at all those boxed Pro Audio Spectrum 16s and Windows Sound Systems...... @_@

Looks like some "AudioPort" and "AudioMaster" boxes too.

EDIT2: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU20BLIXkAAh5W-?f … =jpg&name=large

Boxed Matrox G200...

So much there. All sun bleached at the front of the store of course...

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not quite the same but was watching a video on youtube of a video rental store in small USA town that simply locked the door one day and didn't open the next. DVD's all sitting on a shelf just like it was early/mid 2000's. owners probably simply retired clearing/selling the shop a problem for another day.

I've no doubt plenty of local computer shops did exactly the same or maybe moved all stock into storage out of site. We did have something like that here in 2018.
The great Pentium Pro haul of 2018

Thing is of course this all takes time and effort. how many of these gold mines are lost each year as people throw out everything either not knowing all this obsolete computer hardware has any value or not enough to justify the effort.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. I'm not so much interested in the old hardware, though.

Since this is a time capsule, I would wish someone would take *proper* pictures. 3D pictures. 360° pictures. QuickTime VR pictures.

That's something that I find shameful, by the way.
In the 90s, there were pictures with 360° view.
Nowadays, there are almost none.

These 360° pictures weren't overly complicated, just a long stripe (very wide).

With the proper software, you could look around and zoom a litte bit.

Edit: That's what I meant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1lhZzAhN2Y

I don't mean to be off-topic, though.
It's just one of these moments when you realize that useful technology didn't catch on.
For some reasons unknown.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-01-06, 05:25:

you will enjoy Edgar Digital https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YCC7r1SW0

Looks really cool. New Mexico is a couple thousand mile drive for me sadly.

Also, the video mentions that the guy looks the stuff up on ebay when you go to purchase it. Which is absolutely fine if you're looking for specific hardware, but takes a bit of the fun out of the treasure hunting aspect of it all. I'd be curious to know what the guy in the video paid for the rusty Voodoo 3 that he found in the heap outside.

Reply 10 of 11, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't think of anything remotely resembling that (unless a certain friend of mine who resells PVMs counts, 🤣), because most businesses around here generally do pack up when they leave and the few computer shops around don't keep much inventory, so here are some runner-ups from Italy:

PC Line of Lido degli Estensi, it's surprising they managed to exist for this long (including moving twice since 2003 or so) given the local population. On the other hand they don't have much competition around either!

2016-03-27_16-46-26.jpg
Filename
2016-03-27_16-46-26.jpg
File size
200.88 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2016-03-27_16-45-53.jpg
Filename
2016-03-27_16-45-53.jpg
File size
665.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2016-03-27_16-46-11.jpg
Filename
2016-03-27_16-46-11.jpg
File size
712.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2016-03-27_16-46-05.jpg
Filename
2016-03-27_16-46-05.jpg
File size
626.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2016-03-27_16-46-00.jpg
Filename
2016-03-27_16-46-00.jpg
File size
736.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

BitLine.info of Lugo, 30 km or so from here and my to-go shop: their prices are like CeX (always either high or low), their online catalogue is not very accurate (came in for a 10 IDE cables for 3 € clearance deal, they had three in stock) but in the corner of the publicly accessible area they have a stack of early & mid 2000s used stuff which hasn't moved in the 6+ years I've been going there, though I never asked for prices...

(to be continued due to 5 photo limit)

Reply 11 of 11, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, this is cheating, being my mom's office's basement in 2020 😜 - on the other hand it's the most "warehouse" thing I have to post with a bunch of PCs they took when they moved in 2004 and never used again, too bad most were rusted beyond recognition...
I was called there 2 days before the trashmen were to show up 😀

2020-04-23_15-48-20.jpg
Filename
2020-04-23_15-48-20.jpg
File size
247.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2020-04-23_15-43-04.jpg
Filename
2020-04-23_15-43-04.jpg
File size
244.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2020-04-23_15-40-15.jpg
Filename
2020-04-23_15-40-15.jpg
File size
221.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2020-04-23_15-28-48.jpg
Filename
2020-04-23_15-28-48.jpg
File size
378.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My stand at Marzaglia 2022 😁, which I think is the biggest "peer to peer" electronics fair (as opposed to ones like Forli or Montichiari, which are like ordinary street markets where you must reserve some fixed amount of floor space for a non-negligible fee, and are ran by businesses); while it's first and foremost about radios, especially the CB/ham kind, they openly welcome certain kinds of tangential things like retro electronics!

2022-05-14_07-57-02.jpg
Filename
2022-05-14_07-57-02.jpg
File size
792.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

That was my first time ever there and, well, I'd like to come again - next time with a chair though 😀
Unfortunately price inflation has made it there too, though I always took a stand (heee) with anti-scalper dumping prices 😀