VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
haker120 wrote on 2023-01-13, 16:12:

I wonder if Celeron 766MHz will work and do I have to modify slocket1 for it?

A Celeron 766 would be a Coppermine, as opposed to your 500, that is a Mendocino, so it's probably not as easy as simply plugging a slotket with a 766 in.

First you'd have to check if the VRM can handle the load, dionb explained that part in an excellent way earlier in the thread. You'll also need a Coppermine compatible slotket, not all of them are. If the hardware is up to it, you'd probably have to patch the BIOS to initialize the 766 correctly and add microcode for it. Both can easily be done with the BIOS patcher I linked earlier in the thread 😀

If you have a Coppermine compatible slotket and a Celeron 766, you can try to simply plug them in and press the power button though. Worst thing that can happen is that the computer won't boot 😀

Last edited by kaputnik on 2023-01-13, 16:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 22 of 25, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
haker120 wrote on 2023-01-13, 16:31:

The thing is I have compatible slocket1 but I have no idea how to patch BIOS to make it work.

The rom.by BIOS patcher is very simple to use, you'll figure it out in no time 😀

A word of caution though. I've never had any trouble with the rom.by BIOS patcher, but before playing around with it, you should make sure you have a way to recover if your patched BIOS refuses to boot. Assuming you don't have a standalone EEPROM programmer, I'd get a spare EEPROM for the patched BIOS, learn how to hotflash, and leave the original EEPROM untouched to fall back on if anything goes wrong.

Reply 24 of 25, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
haker120 wrote on 2023-01-13, 17:07:

Hotswap scares me (Xbox Classic flashbacks), I think I'll stay with Mendocino then since I own ZX and BX with 901MHz P3 and 1GHz P3. 😁

Hehe, it's a lot easier to hotswap a socketed DIP package than a TSOP, but each to his own I guess 😀

Edit: or you of course mean the HDD. That's also a lot scarier than hotswapping a DIP package.

Reply 25 of 25, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Modified BIOS from 1997 allows me to use P3 however Win98 dies and installer doesn't turn on, I think that is due to FSB75 and AGP GPU that doesn't like that.

And yeah, I meant HDD hotswap for Xbox Classic. 😉