VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I figured I should post this here just in case anyone else is using these old things. I love the feel of the buttons and the flexibility they provide when running multiple old PCs, monitors and devices.

I did some work on an ~11 year old HP Elitedesk desktop several months ago, the PC turned on and ran but had some issues that required replacement parts and the owner decided to just let the machine go. They called me about a month ago and asked if I wanted the PC and peripherals so I said yes and they brought it over. It came with an older LCD and a decent looking "PC Concepts" power center. I didn't have an immediate use for the power center, but I actually have three other power centers that I use in various parts of my office right now, so I planned on keeping it as a spare at least.

20230113_232351 (Medium).jpg
Filename
20230113_232351 (Medium).jpg
File size
160.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(I had already opened it when this picture was taken)

Today, I was doing some tidying up and noticed that the metal panel on the back of the power center looked like it had been pushed in a little, so I figured I should take a look at the insides in case it had been damaged when the person brought it to me. I noticed the buttons had a really nice and satisfying feel to them and the unit was almost entirely metal... seemingly a decent piece of equipment.

Once I got it open, my jaw dropped...

20230113_232435 (Medium).jpg
Filename
20230113_232435 (Medium).jpg
File size
209.94 KiB
Views
File license
burnt1.jpg
Filename
burnt1.jpg
File size
497.79 KiB
Views
File license

There was a big cluster of resistors and diodes where the PCB had been so heat-damaged that it was nearly black. Several of the resistors were actually starting to crumble, and there was a big spot of dark soot on the top panel above this area. I followed some traces and it appears that these resistor+diode pairs connect to the tiny LEDs that indicate which buttons have power. I have no idea what would cause these to get so hot, but the owner had been using this thing for years and it was actually operating when I was at their home office helping them with the PC.

And it gets better!

I decided to just harvest a few parts from it and leave the rest for the scrap heap... making sure to avoid anything that might have been damaged or related to the LEDs. Basically, I just took the power cable, circuit breaker and the power switches + plastic caps. While moving things around inside the chassis I noticed that one of the black wires popped loose from the soldered outlet terminals in the back with very very little tension. I found several more terminals that looked solid because they had a big blob of solder, but the wire that went into it was freely spinning or moving around with a blob of solder on the end doing nothing but preventing it from pulling through the hole.

20230113_232729 (Medium).jpg
Filename
20230113_232729 (Medium).jpg
File size
155.25 KiB
Views
File license

(black wire that had come loose from second plug, and black wire freely spinning around with blob of solder on the end on the third plug)

So, yeah... you can bet I'll be inspecting the other three power centers that I use. One of them I did inspect 5-6 years ago and it was fine (and probably at least 15 years older than this one), but the other two I have never bothered opening. This is equipment that looks fine on the outside but could be so poorly designed and assembled that it could be a ticking time bomb for your old gear or even worse, a massive fire hazard.

Please post here if you open one up and find anything worth mentioning, or find any that are extremely well constructed. I'm curious to know if others have similar issues.

I don't want to be presumptuous but if anyone else thinks this should be a sticky I wouldn't disagree with them. This is scary stuff.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 12, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never seen anything like that, but I'm in the UK where our mains wiring, mains switches are significantly more sturdy than most.

I'm guessing at it's function - does that give you power on/off control for a set of AC sockets at the back there?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-01-14, 09:41:

I've never seen anything like that, but I'm in the UK where our mains wiring, mains switches are significantly more sturdy than most.

I'm guessing at it's function - does that give you power on/off control for a set of AC sockets at the back there?

Yes, these were actually fairly common in the US for many years. Mostly in office or home office environments.

I like big chonky toggle switches and I like to be able to cut power to specific devices that I'm not using, so I have been using them for many years... more specifically on my retro setups over the last 8 years or so. I have a really neat looking black one with green and red led switches hooked up to my MIDI stack. You can bet I'll be cracking that thing open ASAP though... I'd be mortified if my garage sale power center fried an MT-32, CM-64, SC-55 and TG-100 all at once while also starting a house fire. 😢

majestyk wrote on 2023-01-14, 14:07:

Connecting multiple ground wires and the metal case with a rivet is probably not allowed in some countries.

Yeah, I can't really comment on the soundness of the overall design because that's just not my area of expertise. There was definitely more than one thing wrong with this unit though, despite it looking solid and well built from the outside.

Reply 5 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RussD wrote on 2023-01-15, 05:14:

Also on the warning list, I've run into a PC power cable that swapped live and neutral. Gave me some serious problems that were very difficult to diagnose with a PID controller project.

Yep, one of these beauties came with my ZD-985 desoldering station. I believe this was a known problem with that unit. Funny thing is I never used the cable because I have two or three PC power cords permanently attached to one of my power centers (with a CRT on top), and I just switch the cables on as needed. When I read about the issue several months later I dug through my power cords and found the one that had come with the ZD-985, tested it, and sure enough it was backward.

Scary stuff!

Reply 6 of 12, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-14, 19:46:
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-01-14, 09:41:

Yes, these were actually fairly common in the US for many years. Mostly in office or home office environments.

I like big chonky toggle switches and I like to be able to cut power to specific devices that I'm not using, so I have been using them for many years... more specifically on my retro setups over the last 8 years or so. I have a really neat looking black one with green and red led switches hooked up to my MIDI stack. You can bet I'll be cracking that thing open ASAP though... I'd be mortified if my garage sale power center fried an MT-32, CM-64, SC-55 and TG-100 all at once while also starting a house fire. 😢

These type of things are also quite common in the UK, but they're significantly more durable and made to much higher standards:

ukdj-surge-protected-8-way-individually-neon-switched-extension-lead-5m-black-p6059-19083_zoom.jpg
Filename
ukdj-surge-protected-8-way-individually-neon-switched-extension-lead-5m-black-p6059-19083_zoom.jpg
File size
93.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

You can get them in all kinds of form factors - trailing extension leads like the above are very common, but there are also desk mounted items, towers etc. It is very common to have individual switches on the sockets - all of our mains sockets are also individually switched in the UK. In a previous job I used to run the IT systems for a Computing department in a large UK university; the thought of having electrical equipment like that is absolutely terrifying - one thing I used to have my team do regularly was patrol for international students in our labs who had brought in their own extension cables, chargers etc. The idea of having equipment made to standards (if you can call them standards!) like that plugged in to labs with hundreds of thousands of £ worth of equipment in is crazy.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 12, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the burnt/overheated part with the resistors and diodes, does anyone know exactly what's going on there?
My first guess would be that the voltage being fed in is higher than what was designed for, so the resistors aren't limiting the current to "safe" values...

Reply 8 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2023-01-15, 20:58:

So the burnt/overheated part with the resistors and diodes, does anyone know exactly what's going on there?
My first guess would be that the voltage being fed in is higher than what was designed for, so the resistors aren't limiting the current to "safe" values...

Without seeing the traces I can't be sure, but I think it's even worse...

Normally if you want to turn AC into DC you first use a transformer to get AC voltage near what you want DC, use a bridge rectifier (network of four diodes) to turn the AC into bumpy DC, then add a big cap to smooth that into nice DC. You then use a voltage regulator on the DC to drop it down to exactly the desired voltage, either a linear regulator (which 'burns' off excess power) or a more elegant PWM regulator, with another cap to smooth out the pulses.

Here there's no transformer (that little coil certainly doesn't count as one) but worse: unless there's some interesting wiring underneath, there's no rectifier. Mains VAC is going straight into those rectifier diodes. They are chopping half of it off and the resistor after it is acting as a ghetto regulator to drop it from mains to whatever the LEDs take without blowing them out with too much current. With the imperfect lighting and discoloured resistors I can't exactly figure out their value, or even if they originally would have all been the same. That output in all its pulsing half-sine glory gets fed to the connector and the LEDs. That also means that these diodes and resistors are likely to get rather hot, which over time can cause things to go black.

Reply 9 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These poor designs is rather common. Even the newest power bars are poorly designed, Contacts made of thin tree-like fingers weak stamped from brass sheet.

Finding quality one is not easy than you think.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, I gots one of those with a different badge on... I wonder why one of the buttons/sockets on that seems dead... complete mystery obviously.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before getting my MIDI stack hooked back up I disassembled the power center I intended to use for that. It doesn't look like a work of art inside, but thankfully, it looks to be a bit better quality than the other one. At least nothing is burnt, the outlets on the back are assembled similarly to a real surge protector, and it smelled like new electronics inside when I opened it - rather than burnt electronics. It is manufactured for\by National Lighting and seems to still be somewhat easy to find online. Interestingly, despite it's retro-look, it has a website address printed into the plastic on the bottom, so I would guess it is less than 20 years old.

20230116_194521 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230116_194521 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
20230116_194739 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230116_194739 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
20230116_195044 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230116_195044 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
20230116_194330 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230116_194330 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
20230116_194352 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230116_194352 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

Also, one more thing worth mentioning...

I was a bit surprised when I looked more closely at the big foil label on the "PC Concepts" one I originally posted about. It was playing double duty as a tamper-evident seal and the only date written on it was 1991... which really CAN'T be the date that the thing was manufactured. It had to have been just some arbitrary copyright date, either for the label or for that particular design. It was kept in an office with fluorescent lighting and windows, so the plastic front would definitely have been bleached if it was 30+ years old.

Reply 12 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two more pictures of this power center, and the neat retro-glow the fits so nicely with a MIDI stack.

20230116_195713 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230116_195713 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
20230120_200533 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20230120_200533 (Custom).jpg
File size
618.62 KiB
Views
File license

Each device is connected to a switch. The mixer is switch on with the red Master switch. The rest are switched on in order from right to left, top to bottom. Very satisfying to switch them on this way, and I don't have to reach to the back for the MT-32.