VOGONS

First post, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I picked this up yesterday:
https://youtu.be/2y5Zq1MLeQQ
It's a retro tilt controller that i'm guessing is from the year 2000, but it's got a switch to toggle between DOS/WIN.
After i filmed that video i connected it to an XP computer, but there i get no response and the PC doesn't react to me attaching the controller, even though the DOS computer does see the tilt as a 4button gamepad/joystick.---------
Being a gamester branded controller i can't find any info on it in the 3 days of searching i've spent and i'd like to see how the other inputs work...
I can't find any drivers for it but maybe there is a miniscule chance that it might work with the drivers for the gravis tilt, sidewinder freestyle pro, wingman tilt or the saitek p2000? any other suggestions?

Attachments

• gamesterback.jpg
    Filename
    gamesterback.jpg
    File size
    164.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • gamesterfront.jpg
    Filename
    gamesterfront.jpg
    File size
    123.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 1 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My SIV utility should report all the information.

file.php?id=155456

Attachments

• Menu-Devices-Joysticks.png
    Filename
    Menu-Devices-Joysticks.png
    File size
    18.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Menu->Devices->Joysticks
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 8, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-20, 00:40:
My SIV utility should report all the information. […]
Show full quote

My SIV utility should report all the information.

file.php?id=155456

Cool, does it work under 32bit xp and/or 95?

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess is that DOS mode is Analog mode and Win mode is Digital where the "tilt" effect would work (like the Freestyle)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-20, 02:13:

My guess is that DOS mode is Analog mode and Win mode is Digital where the "tilt" effect would work (like the Freestyle)

The tilt works in DOS as well, it seems that any DOS program will "see" it as a 4button joystick, but it doesn't see the d-pad or the dials, even if i hit the MODE button or the dos/win switch

Reply 6 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of DOS stuff is only looking for 2 axes and 2 buttons, ocassionally 4 buttons, was like that with my wingman with throttle, hat switch, extra buttons, it only got that support in later DOS games.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-01-20, 02:42:

The tilt works in DOS as well, it seems that any DOS program will "see" it as a 4button joystick, but it doesn't see the d-pad or the dials, even if i hit the MODE button or the dos/win switch

Seeing "tilt"action as a 4 button joystick is not same as true Tilt where it seemlessly acts like a joystick (not some 4 button thingy), I have a Gravis and MS pad and the true tilt are not DOS compatible.
The dials should be for DOS calibration for centering...Just my observation....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 8, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seeing "tilt"action as a 4 button joystick is not same as true Tilt where it seemlessly acts like a joystick (not some 4 button thingy), I have a Gravis and MS pad and the true tilt are not DOS compatible.
The dials should be for DOS calibration for centering...Just my observation....

The dials do absolutely nothing, if you've seen the video i linked in the OP then you can see me struggling to get the crosshair to center properly.