mobo upgrade

Topic actions

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello all

i been thinking of upgrading the mobo in this to slot 1 based mobo for faster cpu and better ram but basically using the same cards/parts minus the s3 card (swap for agp)

my first vintage pc build (Win 95) - RETIRED

i already have a much faster p4 win98 build and have some games that run to fast on it but slow on my win95 build above (which essentially a more powerful version of 486 build)

i have a few questions

- i know baby AT slot 1 boards exist (so i can use same case) but would that worth it or just go full ATX
-if did use baby AT slot board for a p3 500mhz, would still be able use the AT psu from before with no problem
-if i did go for full ATX, would a modern psu be ok to use or new old stock for an old psu as i not sure about the voltages like -5v rail for example
-did the cap plague affect slot 1 era of mobos

if anyone has any recommendations/advice, it would be greatly appreciated

thank you 😀

Reply 1 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- baby AT boards exist, but they are harder to find and the ones you do find tend to be low-end mess as well. There are exceptions (Asus P2B-B etc), but good luck finding one.
- AT boards accept AT PSU. The CPU will draw more power, so the PSU had better still be good.
- modern PSUs can have issues with boards that draw massively more power on the 5V line than the 12V, but that's more of a problem for late Athlon XP and MP designs, an early P3 wouldn't be a problem. Biggest potential issue is that there may be obstructions around the 20p-ATX power connector that would block using the 24p connector on a modern one.
- cap plague started around 1999, so yes, later slot 1 boards can be (badly) affected. As I found out the hard way in late 1999 with my AOpen AX6BC. If in doubt, assume bad caps are to blame.

Reply 2 of 8, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-01-23, 14:32:
- baby AT boards exist, but they are harder to find and the ones you do find tend to be low-end mess as well. There are exceptio […]
Show full quote

- baby AT boards exist, but they are harder to find and the ones you do find tend to be low-end mess as well. There are exceptions (Asus P2B-B etc), but good luck finding one.
- AT boards accept AT PSU. The CPU will draw more power, so the PSU had better still be good.
- modern PSUs can have issues with boards that draw massively more power on the 5V line than the 12V, but that's more of a problem for late Athlon XP and MP designs, an early P3 wouldn't be a problem. Biggest potential issue is that there may be obstructions around the 20p-ATX power connector that would block using the 24p connector on a modern one.
- cap plague started around 1999, so yes, later slot 1 boards can be (badly) affected. As I found out the hard way in late 1999 with my AOpen AX6BC. If in doubt, assume bad caps are to blame.

thank you for replying and the asus board is pricey but keep in mind in case of good deal or go full atx

thanks for clarifying about psu thing as i wasn't sure as i use have athlon xp win98 build and the psu died because of the 5v rail ages ago and switched to p4 build for windows 98 as it plays more nice with modern psu.

so i would safe using a modern psu with an early p3 build, if i went for a full atx mobo instead

i am assuming if the caps look fine and not bulging, it does't necessarily mean it safe from the cap plague

Reply 3 of 8, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most Slot1 (and SS7) AT boards accept ATX PSU also, I have used that way many times. Either change out power switch or use reset switch as ATX power switch.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would have thought you were well covered with a 233MMX covering early Win9x games and the P4 covering the later, which games are causing trouble?

If it was me I'd bite the bullet and go down the ATX route as this opens up easier to obtain and better designed newer cases and PSU's
Plus if you have the space I'd keep the 233 for late dos and if you did that you could drop the dos/isa card requirement of the P3 and look at S370 where isa is less common.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, Slot 1 is special so if thats what you want to build then build away

Reply 5 of 8, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paadam wrote on 2023-01-24, 11:48:

Most Slot1 (and SS7) AT boards accept ATX PSU also, I have used that way many times. Either change out power switch or use reset switch as ATX power switch.

assuming is not that diffclut since at power switch is conncetd to psu and simple as unscrewing and taking it out along at pus and replacing with atx pus, if that makes sense

Reply 6 of 8, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-24, 12:27:
I would have thought you were well covered with a 233MMX covering early Win9x games and the P4 covering the later, which games […]
Show full quote

I would have thought you were well covered with a 233MMX covering early Win9x games and the P4 covering the later, which games are causing trouble?

If it was me I'd bite the bullet and go down the ATX route as this opens up easier to obtain and better designed newer cases and PSU's
Plus if you have the space I'd keep the 233 for late dos and if you did that you could drop the dos/isa card requirement of the P3 and look at S370 where isa is less common.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, Slot 1 is special so if thats what you want to build then build away

-Mortyr 2093-1944 (where on 233mxx is slow, despite meeting the min requirements and using voodoo 1 card and in the p4 build, runs too fast where it unplayable)
-disney a bug life (does run a bit fast in p4 build but not unplayable and 233mxx, still playable but slower)

i am sure there will more

i thought i was well covered aswell but seems it best it gonna get and wanting to try push it just wee bit further as i have a dx4 100 dos build and win98 p4 @ 1.6ghz and maybe wanting to see if my win95 can be somewhere in the middle but turns out just basically a more powerful version of my 486 build which isn't a bad thing and will keep it as it is great for very early 3d games and win9x games but maybe try for something a little more powerful than 233mmx and a lot less powerful as p4 @ 1.6ghz

i was originally was thinking about ss7 mobo and use a k6-iii like an asus p5a-b (still a possibility) but wasn't sure about early agp and wasn't sure about price of early apg cards and the voltages and then again if the psu would be powerful enough for it

the slot 1 idea came cause i want have a little headroom for everything but it not a definite choice, just ideas and getting advice

if there any other ideas for boards where i use the same parts as i have in at moment but swap out for faster cpu and ram - not a deal breaker and swap out the pci s3 card for early agp

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2023-03-16, 12:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fair enough, I never doubted you was just interested in the titles and now you mention it I think I've read before Bug's life is a picky game.
Both those games recommend a computer around the 200/300Mhz mark so a late P2 early P3 is probably the right area in either Slot 1 or S370 format.
on the AMD side of things your probably looking at Slot A (rare buggy) or Socket A (need a PSU with strong 5V rail)
or as you said SS7 but personally I find prices a bit pricy but are flexible in the ability to downclock the system which may be desirable in this case.
As always comes down to price and availability.

My main concern is your getting very close to making the P4 redundant as say the P3 will probably end up been able to play all your later 9x games just as well as the P4.
I guess like how the MMX probably covers most the 486's games at the moment.
I guess you could also use different hardware, Assuming a creative cards in the P4, have a Vortex 2 in the P3 and cover A3D or 3dx card in one and D3D card in the other

Reply 8 of 8, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-25, 15:49:
Fair enough, I never doubted you was just interested in the titles and now you mention it I think I've read before Bug's life […]
Show full quote

Fair enough, I never doubted you was just interested in the titles and now you mention it I think I've read before Bug's life is a picky game.
Both those games recommend a computer around the 200/300Mhz mark so a late P2 early P3 is probably the right area in either Slot 1 or S370 format.
on the AMD side of things your probably looking at Slot A (rare buggy) or Socket A (need a PSU with strong 5V rail)
or as you said SS7 but personally I find prices a bit pricy but are flexible in the ability to downclock the system which may be desirable in this case.
As always comes down to price and availability.

My main concern is your getting very close to making the P4 redundant as say the P3 will probably end up been able to play all your later 9x games just as well as the P4.
I guess like how the MMX probably covers most the 486's games at the moment.
I guess you could also use different hardware, Assuming a creative cards in the P4, have a Vortex 2 in the P3 and cover A3D or 3dx card in one and D3D card in the other

most late 9x games are fine in win98 build which is why i am aiming to be more closer to 233 mmx side of things but more powerful and less powerful then p4

i am thinking somewhere around 400 mhz - 500 ish mhz of cpu and looking at ss7 board as it will give the more space/headroom of what i am looking to do but also staying close-ish to the way my win95 build is at moment, if that makes sense