VOGONS

First post, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Schneider EuroPC that had battery damage and I had managed to fix in last spring by adding a half a dozen bodges, has stopped POSTing. The power light comes on and the keyboard lights blink once but no POST or picture. I tried removing the XT-IDE to no avail. I haven’t yet opened it to check the bodges again. When I initially repaired it, I did neutralize the battery residue and cleaned the board.

Where should I start looking based on the initial symptoms? It sounds like another bodge might be needed, but it would certainly help if I didn’t have to go through all the traces again.

Reply 1 of 5, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to Schneider PCs, as far as I have heard / read it´s a _lot_ of work to find all the interrupted traces, some inside the PCB.
There are some very helpful threads about that also pointing out the connections you don´t see, but I can´t remember where a.t.m.

Reply 2 of 5, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the EuroPC mobo multiplayer, though? At least the service manual implies that it would be just a two layer board. Nevertheless, I’m going to hook it to my scope to see if there is any signs of life in the system.

Couple of observations, though. The floppy drive isn’t spinning at all. Not sure if should spin right at boot. I tried disconnecting the floppy but that didn’t make a difference. Also tried replacing the Nec V20 with the original Siemens 8088 to no avail.

Reply 3 of 5, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some measuring. The CPU resets, it has clock and there is activity on the address and data lines. It’s beginning to look like I have to do some broken trace hunting.

Reply 4 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroBard wrote on 2023-01-24, 19:43:

I did some measuring. The CPU resets, it has clock and there is activity on the address and data lines. It’s beginning to look like I have to do some broken trace hunting.

Most often, the bad traces are on the bus lines connecting the JIM chip (a Schneider custom chip) to the data bus. The address lines are very close to the battery, and likely to be damaged. It might be helpful to do a continuity test between the pins on the ISA connector and the corresponding pins on the JIM. At least for the address lines, there is no buffer inbetween.

Reply 5 of 5, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The EuroPC lives again! The AEN line between JIM and PVC4 had corroded away. After yet another bodge, it POSTS and boots. I need to find more suitable bodge wire, though. It has got to be the mother of all ugly bodges with the wire I had at hand.