VOGONS

First post, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an M-321 rev 2.6 (or 2.7?) board and recently acquired four 30-pin, 16MB SIMMs, hoping to bring it up to 64MB or potentially 80MB by having four 4MB SIMMs in the other bank, but the RAM counts up to only 16000 bytes with those 16MB SIMMs in either Bank 0 or Bank 1 and the other bank left unpopulated. I'm not sure if it's a BIOS thing or a chipset thing, or if Address 11 or Data 7 are not connected somewhere (since the board was probably built with the idea that noöne in their right mind would ever install 64 or 128MB of RAM in a 386).

I've seen videos of the M-326 board using four 16MB SIMMs (a video in which someone 'ran' a Quake 3 timedemo, the YouTube video ID is DlxlOtupnUc) and so thought that perhaps my M-321 would also support that much RAM. I've tried with parity on and off (they are 60ns, 9-chip SIMMs with parity) but the memory count remains at 16000 either way.

Reply 1 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BIOS chip marked:
"386DX C1216
(C) 1989 AMI All Rights Reserved
386DX BIOS (Ver. 2.11)"

Chipset has the PC Chips
"CHIP 5": 4L04F1282, Japan 9306EAI
"CHIP 6": 4L04F1666, Japan 9304EAI

I'll update with the BIOS ID string just in case the markings on the BIOS chip don't reflect the actual BIOS.

I rather love the board for having a socketed tag RAM chip for the cache so upgrading to 256KB of cache was a breeze.

Reply 3 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlaricD wrote on 2023-01-24, 18:14:

or if Address 11 or Data 7 are not connected somewhere

That's actually quite likely. Support for A11 on mainstream consumer chipset typically appeared on second-generation 486 chipsets (or 386/486 comibination chipsets). Older ones do not support 16MB SIMMs. You can easily test that: If A11 is driven by the chipset, you will encounter some parasitic diodes or ESD protection diodes. Do a diode check with a multimeter (the cheapest 5$ Aliexpress / Poundland / whatever model will do), putting red at A11 and black at +5V, and a second check putting black at A11 and red at GND. If neither of those measurements shows some conductivity, A11 is unconnected. The test is performed with "reverse polarity" intentionally, to forward-bias ESD protection/clamping diodes.

Reply 4 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2023-01-24, 21:50:

Do you have an eeprom burner? You may try Mr BIOS

That's another idea. I've also found some additional M321 BIOS .BIN files. I *might* be able to scrounge up an EEPROM burner-- I have a friend with one but he hasn't seen it in ages so it's probably buried under anything/everything right now.

I wonder, though, if there's a simple electrical test for continuity to ensure the address lines are all connected somewhere. Sadly, I don't have a working oscilloscope, but maybe a logic probe (again, at my friend's house) could be useful for that.

Another thing I want to fix is the flush input for the Cx486DLC-40 or TI486SXL-40 (the PGA132 version) since that may be the fastest and most-reliable cache invalidation method.

Reply 5 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2023-01-24, 22:18:
AlaricD wrote on 2023-01-24, 18:14:

or if Address 11 or Data 7 are not connected somewhere

That's actually quite likely...
Do a diode check with a multimeter (the cheapest 5$ Aliexpress / Poundland / whatever model will do), putting red at A11 and black at +5V, and a second check putting black at A11 and red at GND. If neither of those measurements shows some conductivity, A11 is unconnected. The test is performed with "reverse polarity" intentionally, to forward-bias ESD protection/clamping diodes.

NICE! I'll have to try that. I probably should try to fix my multimeter-- the mode select button has quit working which might be the conductive graphite pad being worn, but maybe a new multimeter would just be the better route. Good tip on the polarity.