VOGONS

First post, by RetroVixen2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, so this is the second epox EP-7KXA that I've received that has major problems. last one got sent back. this one was listed as "no returns". I'm gonna be perfectly honest here: I may be nifty with tools and good at what I do but I'm not stupid enough to attempt further repairs myself, not on an antique board that is rare.

does anyone know the name of a good motherboard repair shop that can do real thorough work including BGA reballing? I tried emailing several shops last november and I never got a single reply back from anyone.

I should have known something was wrong when the bios bricked itself on update. in the 20 years I've done firmware updates I've never had any board brick themselves. I already unbricked it with an EPROM programmer but its still less stable than a troubled child with a xanax addiction.

"Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster." ~ GlaDOS

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you post a picture of your board ? I bet the caps around the Slot-1 and/or the VRM near the BIOS chip are going bad (which can cause many odd issues).
Am facing similar issues with two recent found boards but one def has cap issues (bloated and brown goop on tops)...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by RetroVixen2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that was the first thing I checked. if it were that easy I'd have done it myself. I was going to take pictures with my new phone when it arrived but while me and my secretary were looking it over we found gouges on the back. we sent it to a youtuber with a repair shop who can do deep board repair just before the new phone arrived. its probably gonna cost 6 times the amount of the board to fix the epox but I don't feel right trashing a board that there are only five known boards in existence and only 2 are known to work.

meantime I... ok I hate socket A because of what happened when I was a kid and I sure as hell wont be keeping it in the machine as a permanent solution but I dropped in the chip from my childhood in a KK266-r and I'm gonna give it a go.... I fully expect this to be a miserable disaster. that chip ate an asus board. maybe I will do better with this Iwill board but I've learned better than to give into disappointing notions like hope.

the repairs to the Epox board might take months and my new supplier in kazakhstan might be a while with the new epox board. the other two boards are beyond my grasp. they are being sold by a german who openly voices hatred of americans and the dude blocked me over another scam he was running. of which I got screwed out of a large chunk of money and ebay is being stellite hard dicks about it. despite the evidence I presented including paperwork, emails, receipts, tracking data and GPS. ebay really has gone to hell and the current site owners are only marginally better than the last ones who just got convicted of threatening scam victims.

"Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster." ~ GlaDOS

Reply 3 of 4, by RetroVixen2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

slight update, I managed to score a good 900mhz CPU for the K7m but its glitching on windows for both the install CD and the pre-existing system. I'm hearing something about timings getting too tight above 800mhz but this board just is too dumpy to handle more than 110mhz bus clock. can anyone confirm it requires a 133mhz rated bus? or should I be looking at RAM as its 133mhz and CL2 and swap it for something slower?

its running fine in DOS tho.

I've seen the K7m handle a 1ghz cartridge on youtube and the K7m being "one of the only boards rated for it" so I have no clue what is going on.

Reply 4 of 4, by RetroVixen2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-26, 03:03:

Can you post a picture of your board ? I bet the caps around the Slot-1 and/or the VRM near the BIOS chip are going bad (which can cause many odd issues).
Am facing similar issues with two recent found boards but one def has cap issues (bloated and brown goop on tops)...

ok, you were spot on about the other two epox boards I acquired in the interim. I had a bunch of weird inexplicable issues there and I just started ripping caps out and replacing them even if they looked fine. when I ran tests on the original caps and found that despite them looking perfect they were all out of spec. upon replacement the boards got much further before locking up. they are losing files even during an install and I'm sending those off for repairs too but to a different guy.

the IWILL board was a bust too. out of spec caps galore but one of the caps with a weird capacitance and voltage I don't have was in fact punctured.

the last hope board for AMD was the tyan trinity and that one showed signs of such a poor reballing job the board was warped. worse still, all of the caps were blown from the heat and I gotta completely redo the board and hope it works. if not I'm gonna have to go with cyrix instead. its not the biggest of woes but it means learning a whole bunch of new stuff. people really gotta stop sticking boards in an oven or using the wrong tools. this is making things far worse than they needed to be.

on the bright side the nvidia recapping went flawlessly.

at this rate I'm gonna wind up collecting enough spare capacitors to open up a full on repair shop and I might damn well need to given how many people have screwed me over with "used/tested, good condition, working 100%" boards at top dollar when they most certainly do not work and were not tested past post.