VOGONS

Slow motherboard [UPDATE 11.02.23]

Topic actions

First post, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a problem with my SOYO SY-5EMA socket 7 motherboard. It seem to be posting really slowly and then stops working altogether.

This is the process:

* Power on

* VGA Init screen

* BIOS memory test. This pauses several times (64mb PC100 installed)

* Memory tests complete

*Displays message:
Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
Copyright (c) 1984-200, Award Software...

*Halts. Having the floppy drive plugged in here makes the drive light turn on but not start the motor.

I've tried various troubleshooting things:
A different VGA card for each slot, VGA PCI, AGP
Different RAM, EDO, PC100 & PC133
Different CPU P133, AMD K6-2+
Different PSU
Upgraded BIOS to the latest (before fault occurred)
Replaced all of the 1000uf capacitors
I've cleared the CMOS
There's no turbo, though there is a turbo LED. 5v on the LED pins while board powered on
CPU heatsink & fan installed while running.

Has anyone experience something like this before?

I'll take any suggestions 😀

MANUAL:

Filename
soyo-sy-5ema-user-manual.pdf
File size
1.48 MiB
Downloads
35 downloads
File license
Public domain

IMG-20230128-133732-edit-28391542513896.jpg IMG-20230128-161945.jpg IMG-20230128-134608.jpg IMG-20230128-134417.jpg IMG-20230128-134409.jpg IMG-20230128-134403.jpg IMG-20230128-133827.jpg IMG-20230128-133819.jpg IMG-20230128-133812.jpg

Last edited by cookertron on 2023-02-11, 15:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 1 of 23, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it's floppy time it hangs. Correct?

Floppy cable reversed? broken?
What if you remove the frloppy drive and start windows with cd-rom?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-01-28, 18:40:

When it's floppy time it hangs. Correct?

Floppy cable reversed? broken?
What if you remove the frloppy drive and start windows with cd-rom?

Yes, the point at which it detects the floppy drive it hangs.

There's currently no FDD or HDD plugged into the board.

Thanks for your help.

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 3 of 23, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-28, 18:36:

So everything was running fine, and then you updated the BIOS? Now you have the problem?

Reply 4 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-01-28, 19:09:

So everything was running fine, and then you updated the BIOS? Now you have the problem?

No I was just pointing out that the BIOS has been updated but before the fault occurred so it's not necessarily the cause. I was trying to pre-empt someone suggesting I should upgrade the firmware to the latest.

Thanks for your help

Reply 5 of 23, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-28, 19:21:

No I was just pointing out that the BIOS has been updated but before the fault occurred so it's not necessarily the cause. I was trying to pre-empt someone suggesting I should upgrade the firmware to the latest.

Thanks for your help

Sorry, but now I have to ask again. What do you mean exactly with "before the fault occured"?
Where you using this board before?

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2023-01-29, 11:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-01-28, 19:32:

Thanks for your help

Sorry, but now I have to ask again. What do you mean eaxctly with "before the fault occured"?

Yes I was testing it out with Window 98SE and DOS. I had it running for about 4 days before updating the BIOS. Two weeks after the update the board starts to exhibit this behaviour.

Reply 7 of 23, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try disabling all I/O you can a re-enable one by one.
Try an earlier BIOS version.

Can you try another bios chip? Flash on a similar model. Maybe it is malfunctioning.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 8 of 23, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to replicate your issue on my board. I might not be able to because I have a SY-5EMAPRO, and it does appear that it is a bit of a board redesign, they are still very similar. I am not sure if I have figured something out, but I have some steps for you:

1. Is a PS/2 keyboard connected when you try to boot? I don't care if you are still using a USB to PS/2 adapter like you were before. Just make sure the adapter with your chosen keyboard works on another machine.

2. With the PS/2 keyboard connected, push the power button and turn the computer on. If it does not finish POST correctly (or quickly enough) push the reset button. Does it POST quickly now? Try it a few times if using the reset button seems reliable.

3. Power off the machine. Unplug the PS/2 keyboard, and leave no keyboard. Power on the machine. Does it boot faster now? You'll get a keyboard error and maybe cmos settings cleared error, floppy error, etc, since I guess you have everything unhooked and cleared your settings.

4. If the machine posts correctly with the reset button install your PS/2 keyboard, power on with the reset button, and go into the BIOS settings. And enable USB keyboard support. Save and exit. You probably should install your cmos battery if you still haven't (unclear from your last thread). Shutdown your computer. Then replace the PS/2 keyboard with a USB keyboard.

5. If you want to use a PS/2 keyboard, try a different keyboard. You'll want to try this if you can't seem to get your machine to boot at all with that USB->PS/2 adapter. What is the keyboard or keyboards you are using?

The reason why I say this is because I do see a potential stability issue over here with the power delivery circuitry when powering on and the model of keyboard used. I don't know if your USB adapter is part of it, so get some keyboards handy.

If none of this makes a difference, then get a post diagnostic card, but probably leave the keyboard unhooked in one of the attempts. Also see the one last note from my manual later on.

cookertron wrote on 2023-01-28, 19:43:

Thanks for your help

Sorry, but now I have to ask again. What do you mean eaxctly with "before the fault occured"?

Yes I was testing it out with Window 98SE and DOS. I had it running for about 4 days before updating the BIOS. Two weeks after the update the board starts to exhibit this behaviour.

When you created the prior thread, you did not mention this, and no one said to upgrade the BIOS when you had trouble. It would be a mistake since to suggest a BIOS update when you said the board was previously working, why attempt to do introduce something unknown, when you can just go back to the original configuration that was working. So reversing steps back to a working configuration is the correct thing to do. Knowing that you flashed it recently, could have been a factor when I started thinking about your post today. I am not sure, but this is why: I have a "1AA2" BIOS, a newer variant, perhaps specifically for 5EMAPRO.
5EMA_PRO 1AA2
11/28/2000-VP3-686A-6A5LES29C-00

(Your earlier post for reference SOYO SY-5EMA posting very slowly.)

I believe I had flashed the BIOS at some point. But please note, I have no idea if this is related or even compatible. But it could be a clue. The reason why it is a clue, is because of this site, and the information here:
https://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/44/183/BI … 2B+V1.0%29.html

This is suggesting that your "1EA1" and the 5EMA+ & PRO are the same family, and the 5/11/2000 might have been the original BIOS date this board came with, considering they are in a family, at least updated together? (Note to anyone hitting this with a search engine, please research out the exact variant that SOYO supplied ... I can't seem to find it today ... don't trust someone post that it looks "similar") I have always had some minor boot issue with this machine, now known to be also related to the keyboard plugged in, but nothing exactly like yours. I don't remember when I flashed this board as I've had this board for nearly 23 years.

I wonder if there is a BIOS issue in the later versions. Now I don't know if this warrants further experimenting, but it wouldn't hurt to go back to the earlier BIOS revision if for some reason the 5/11/2000 BIOS (or later) is connected some keyboard issues. But I think I'll want to inspect the power circuitry some, because I am finding certain PS/2 keyboards are fine and others are not, so I am suspecting power draw.

BTW, the 5emapro manual says this, which I find very odd:

Video (no display) related issues
I built a new computer system using a Soyo board and nothing
happens when turning it on, no video and no beeps from the PC
speaker. What is happening and how can it be fixed?
... deleted some nonsensical speak from the manual ...
1) 1. Press and hold down on the “Ins” (insert) key while turning on the
computer until you get video. If you do not get video then,

I have found this to sort-of make a difference ?? But it is not consistent. I wonder if there is really something in the BIOS that checks for this key and does something. Or it is a hacky work-around due to a power issue.

I'm glad some how your issue and something that has bugging me has converged. At least it helped me narrow down a problem. I may investigate this some more, when I get time.

Reply 9 of 23, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, see this vogons thread on the bios versions for each variant:
Re: Soyo SY-5EMA+ v1.1 BIOS files
download/file.php?id=89644&mode=view

The thread says the 5EMA and 5EMA+ do share the same board ID, but actually have different BIOSes from Soyo. Not sure if they are compatible, so I would stick to what Soyo says.

Reply 10 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So according to the previous and current post. You fixed stuff that was not broken and now does not work proper. Does that sum up what is going on ?
Hate to say it but if not broken why try to fix it (aimed at anyone with a working vintage computer that thinks "I need to fix this" when it works just fine 😀 )
I suggest pulling the board and bench test it (on a card board box) with limited parts, no adapters, etc and see what happens.......
Sorry if I seem harsh but have broken many parts because I am anal and wanted it my way when the end result was they did not work together, sound similar in your case.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 23, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What CPU have you tested the board with? I had a similar problem with an ECS super-7 board - turns out I had a jumper set wrong - one of the FSB to AGP or PCI dividers, can't remember exactly - and I was testing with a pentium 233mmx. Installing a 500MHz K6-2 had the board posting and booting correctly.

Reply 13 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2023-01-28, 22:47:
I am trying to replicate your issue on my board. I might not be able to because I have a SY-5EMAPRO, and it does appear that it […]
Show full quote

I am trying to replicate your issue on my board. I might not be able to because I have a SY-5EMAPRO, and it does appear that it is a bit of a board redesign, they are still very similar. I am not sure if I have figured something out, but I have some steps for you:

1. Is a PS/2 keyboard connected when you try to boot? I don't care if you are still using a USB to PS/2 adapter like you were before. Just make sure the adapter with your chosen keyboard works on another machine.

2. With the PS/2 keyboard connected, push the power button and turn the computer on. If it does not finish POST correctly (or quickly enough) push the reset button. Does it POST quickly now? Try it a few times if using the reset button seems reliable.

3. Power off the machine. Unplug the PS/2 keyboard, and leave no keyboard. Power on the machine. Does it boot faster now? You'll get a keyboard error and maybe cmos settings cleared error, floppy error, etc, since I guess you have everything unhooked and cleared your settings.

4. If the machine posts correctly with the reset button install your PS/2 keyboard, power on with the reset button, and go into the BIOS settings. And enable USB keyboard support. Save and exit. You probably should install your cmos battery if you still haven't (unclear from your last thread). Shutdown your computer. Then replace the PS/2 keyboard with a USB keyboard.

5. If you want to use a PS/2 keyboard, try a different keyboard. You'll want to try this if you can't seem to get your machine to boot at all with that USB->PS/2 adapter. What is the keyboard or keyboards you are using?

The reason why I say this is because I do see a potential stability issue over here with the power delivery circuitry when powering on and the model of keyboard used. I don't know if your USB adapter is part of it, so get some keyboards handy.

If none of this makes a difference, then get a post diagnostic card, but probably leave the keyboard unhooked in one of the attempts. Also see the one last note from my manual later on.

cookertron wrote on 2023-01-28, 19:43:

When you created the prior thread, you did not mention this, and no one said to upgrade the BIOS when you had trouble. It would be a mistake since to suggest a BIOS update when you said the board was previously working, why attempt to do introduce something unknown, when you can just go back to the original configuration that was working. So reversing steps back to a working configuration is the correct thing to do. Knowing that you flashed it recently, could have been a factor when I started thinking about your post today. I am not sure, but this is why: I have a "1AA2" BIOS, a newer variant, perhaps specifically for 5EMAPRO.
5EMA_PRO 1AA2
11/28/2000-VP3-686A-6A5LES29C-00

(Your earlier post for reference SOYO SY-5EMA posting very slowly.)

I believe I had flashed the BIOS at some point. But please note, I have no idea if this is related or even compatible. But it could be a clue. The reason why it is a clue, is because of this site, and the information here:
https://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/44/183/BI … 2B+V1.0%29.html

This is suggesting that your "1EA1" and the 5EMA+ & PRO are the same family, and the 5/11/2000 might have been the original BIOS date this board came with, considering they are in a family, at least updated together? (Note to anyone hitting this with a search engine, please research out the exact variant that SOYO supplied ... I can't seem to find it today ... don't trust someone post that it looks "similar") I have always had some minor boot issue with this machine, now known to be also related to the keyboard plugged in, but nothing exactly like yours. I don't remember when I flashed this board as I've had this board for nearly 23 years.

I wonder if there is a BIOS issue in the later versions. Now I don't know if this warrants further experimenting, but it wouldn't hurt to go back to the earlier BIOS revision if for some reason the 5/11/2000 BIOS (or later) is connected some keyboard issues. But I think I'll want to inspect the power circuitry some, because I am finding certain PS/2 keyboards are fine and others are not, so I am suspecting power draw.

BTW, the 5emapro manual says this, which I find very odd:

Video (no display) related issues
I built a new computer system using a Soyo board and nothing
happens when turning it on, no video and no beeps from the PC
speaker. What is happening and how can it be fixed?
... deleted some nonsensical speak from the manual ...
1) 1. Press and hold down on the “Ins” (insert) key while turning on the
computer until you get video. If you do not get video then,

I have found this to sort-of make a difference ?? But it is not consistent. I wonder if there is really something in the BIOS that checks for this key and does something. Or it is a hacky work-around due to a power issue.

I'm glad some how your issue and something that has bugging me has converged. At least it helped me narrow down a problem. I may investigate this some more, when I get time.

First of all thank you for you valuable input I'll need a bit of time to digest everything you've suggested. I don't have a PS2 keyboard but I ordered one a few days ago and I'm hoping it should arrive tomorrow. I'm not happy about using the USB to PS2 adapter so I'm willing to wait, I'll look into getting a POST diagnosis card too.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by cookertron on 2023-01-29, 18:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-29, 04:09:
So according to the previous and current post. You fixed stuff that was not broken and now does not work proper. Does that sum u […]
Show full quote

So according to the previous and current post. You fixed stuff that was not broken and now does not work proper. Does that sum up what is going on ?
Hate to say it but if not broken why try to fix it (aimed at anyone with a working vintage computer that thinks "I need to fix this" when it works just fine 😀 )
I suggest pulling the board and bench test it (on a card board box) with limited parts, no adapters, etc and see what happens.......
Sorry if I seem harsh but have broken many parts because I am anal and wanted it my way when the end result was they did not work together, sound similar in your case.

I'm not sure what you mean I fixed stuff that wasn't broken. If you're talking about using the USB to PS2 adapter then I guess you're right but I wanted to make the USB available for other things by populating the PS2. They're there to use so I don't see it as fixing stuff that wasn't broken. If you're talking about updating the BIOS then I'll explain my reasoning, I read on a VOGON thread that the AMD K6-2+ isn't supported on the SY-5EMA without the latest version so that's why I did that.

I've already pulled everything out but to no avail 😒

Thanks for your help 😀

Reply 15 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2023-01-29, 08:52:

What CPU have you tested the board with? I had a similar problem with an ECS super-7 board - turns out I had a jumper set wrong - one of the FSB to AGP or PCI dividers, can't remember exactly - and I was testing with a pentium 233mmx. Installing a 500MHz K6-2 had the board posting and booting correctly.

I have three socket 7 CPUs (P166mmx, p233mmx, K6-2+) and they all exhibit the same behaviour. There are jumpers for FSB, AGP and DRAM timings but I've just got them set to 66mhz across the board so I can't really see an overclocking issue here.

thanks for you help.

Reply 16 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: plugging in a PS2 keyboard allows me to enter the BIOS settings but for some reason changes don't save! I'll test the battery but I'm sure it's ok

Should internal and external cache be enabled?

Reply 17 of 23, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the settings should persist across reboot and momentary power off without the battery as I found when testing my board. It's just gets annoying down the line having to deal with a lack of battery. Some boards cannot boot properly without one, but you should be able to get a bit farther on this one.

What happens when you exit cmos setup? Black screen, or same boot issues?

Without going into setup, does it boot quickly now, at least to the point of it saying no floppy or cmos settings lost? What is it with the keyboard, and what is it without the keyboard?

I have to ask, what is the exact model of this ps/2 keyboard? I've found that there is an irregular boot when it comes to the model of ps2/ keyboard connected to my motherboard. But all keyboards I tested work fine on other machines. I'm sure you confirmed that this keyboard is working ok another machine?

I think the cmos defaults will configure to a floppy drive enabled. Can you hook up a 3.5" drive and boot to dos quickly now? With or without a keyboard. It may halt on error before letting it boot though. Just trying see where you will be stuck at.

Can you point out which exact file you flashed your bios with?

I might pull my board to study the ps/2 connector circuitry, but gotta find the time.

Reply 18 of 23, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:

My POST diagnostic card came today so I've stuck that in and got BF, the second number seems to differ but mostly it's 41. I think if it's stuck on BF then there could be something wrong with the chipset?

Here is a video showing where it gets stuck:
https://youtu.be/SHk9jLrAqvo

Here is a video showing a symptom of it being so slow: https://youtube.com/shorts/3qdQixq8uec