VOGONS

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got this dvd drive i might buy.
It's new in box and i could potentially pay a fair bit for it.

But i want analogue audio from it to the soundcard. Without it the drive is useless to me.
It has the 3pin input and it's an ide drive.

Does LG GSA-H55L dvd drive have a working analogue input?

It's an late drive from 2007 so info on this is more or less non existent. Reviews and general information is about write speeds and other functions.

Also there is a text in printed on the metal just over the 4pin audio input that says [reserved] what does that mean?
Normally you would have the audio lines mentioned there.

Hope someone can clarify this!
Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by Unrealdevon on 2023-01-29, 21:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3 pins? Should be 4, which if anything is evidence in support of that not being a proper analog audio socket 😀 (I thought first of a serial service connector!)

In general 2007 is too new for an arbitrarily picked drive to have it- it was already gone on some drives of 2003 (in fact, the one I'm thinking of is by LG), and digital ripping + realtime playback were solid (and default) technologies when XP SP1 was new, I'm afraid!

Reply 2 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reading the manual it does not mention any audio so it would have to be digital thru the ATAPI connection
I would look for a NEC ND-3550A or similar if you want ATAPI/IDE interface, Analog audio out and is a fair 16x DVD writer. I have one that still works quite well...
NEC manual back panel: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2471746/Nec … l?page=9#manual

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2023-01-29, 19:20:

3 pins? Should be 4, which if anything is evidence in support of that not being a proper analog audio socket 😀 (I thought first of a serial service connector!)

In general 2007 is too new for an arbitrarily picked drive to have it- it was already gone on some drives of 2003 (in fact, the one I'm thinking of is by LG), and digital ripping + realtime playback were solid (and default) technologies when XP SP1 was new, I'm afraid!

I meant 4pin sorry.

Reply 4 of 8, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-29, 21:20:

Reading the manual it does not mention any audio so it would have to be digital thru the ATAPI connection
I would look for a NEC ND-3550A or similar if you want ATAPI/IDE interface, Analog audio out and is a fair 16x DVD writer. I have one that still works quite well...
NEC manual back panel: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2471746/Nec … l?page=9#manual

It has the 4pin connector and there is no text on it that says no audio Wich it often does when it's not supported.

I saw this page and it mentions an audio cable as part of the package but i can't see it in the photo.

There is also some other information on that site that says the drive havent changed anything from its earlier versions except speed.

Here is a link http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/lg-gsa-h55l-20 … w/features.html

Reply 5 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah there was a H54N/H54L. I not think either can do any analog audio (manual lists contents but no audio cable) and it can play a DVD movie so it must use Digital thru the IDE interface (like newer SATA do),
in the LG H55n/H55L manual under specs there is no mention of audio except for : CD-Digital Audio
I think the LG GSA-4163B or similar would be a better choice since it's manual does show using the analog audio out on the back....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2023-01-29, 22:47:

Yeah there was a H54N/H54L. I not think either can do any analog audio (manual lists contents but no audio cable) and it can play a DVD movie so it must use Digital thru the IDE interface (like newer SATA do),
in the LG H55n/H55L manual under specs there is no mention of audio except for : CD-Digital Audio
I think the LG GSA-4163B or similar would be a better choice since it's manual does show using the analog audio out on the back....

PSA

I have an LG GSA-4163B whose tray has trouble opening . Either it needs a new belt, or something else is wrong and/or slipping and/or broken . Otherwise the drive works fine (or did 5 or 10 years ago when I last bothered trying it). I will eventually get to opening it .

Not saying all such model drives will have such an issue, but mine was very lightly used and initially had no issues (bought it new).