VOGONS

First post, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a Packard Bell FR500, its a late S7 ATX motherboard with onboard graphics and audio.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bcm-in5598

The machine posts just fine, but when I boot into DOS, I have some weird issues. If I try to start Norton Commander, it hangs (see photo). When not in NC, it seems to work fine, but when I try to start a game (Prince of Persia) sometimes it works for a while, then hangs, and there is no (pc speaker) sound, other times it asks me to insert the PoP disk into the C: drive...

Things I've tried:

Different CPU's (P200MMX, IBM (Cyrix) 686MX PR233. Both CPU's have been tested on other machines and work fine.
Changing the ram sticks, using different sizes, both EDO and FPM, in only one and both banks. Weirdly enough, if I put more than 16mb, the machine crashes while booting into DOS. 8mb and 32mb allow me to boot into DOS just fine.
Thoroughly inspected all jumper settings, especially when switching CPU's. No change.
I tried booting from a CF card, SD card, and original 120mb hdd. Same results.
I definitely replaced the BIOS battery, and it does hold the settings, date/time, etc.
I tried using an external PCI graphics card to see if it would made a difference. No luck, even when disabling the onboard graphics
I tried disabling pretty much anything I wouldn't need in the BIOS (serial, parallel,usb, onboard graphics and audio, even floppy drive). No change
Tried connecting HDD's to both primary and secondary IDE channels, disabling each unused one in the bios. Nope.
I tried booting from a GOTEK DOS boot disk. Sometimes it boots, but it complains about corrupted files and/or hangs. Sometimes it just hangs as the "Starting Ms-Dos" message is displayed.
I tried skipping the autoexec.bat and config.sys files as it boots ms dos (by pressing F5). When I do this, It will allow me to enter NC, and if I launch PoP, the PC speaker sound works, but the game freezes as soon as you move the character. Also kinda weird... I have a .bat file to quickly get into NC. If I skip the autoexec and config files, and try to run the .bat file, it shows "packed file is corrupt", but if I manually go to the C:\NC directory and run NC.EXE, it works.
I would like to disable the cache to see if it makes a difference, but the current BIOS won't give me that option, unfortunately.

There is no visible damage on the board, except for some big electrolytic caps near the CPU socket, that seem to have been scratched up a bit. They don't look too bad, and I plan to change them as soon as I get new ones.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure what else I can try...

Thanks!

Attachments

• nc.jpg
    Filename
    nc.jpg
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • pb850.jpg
    Filename
    pb850.jpg
    File size
    802.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 10, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also disabled the onboard IDE controllers and tried an external ISA IDE card, too see if it would make a difference. Unfortunately it didn't help. Any ideas? This motherboard really has me stumped...

Reply 2 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... your symptoms are related to data integrity, but you've tried multiple I/O controllers, multiple drives, different RAM and a different CPU. That leaves two suspects:

1) L2 cache. Try disabling it and see if problems go away.
2) UMA. The chipset shares memory bandwidth between CPU and VGA. Possibly somethingis buggy there. Try an external PCI VGA card.

Reply 3 of 10, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I tried both PCI and ISA vga cards and did not make any difference.

The bios doesn't have an option for disabling the cache unfortunately. Unless there's some sort of hidden way to do it.

Reply 4 of 10, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I changed the suspicious looking capacitors (one of them was indeed bad), but unfortunately it did not help. I think the next step would be to flash the bios to a newer version, and hopefully that might allow me to disable the l2 cache? Anyone else has any other ideas?

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What makes you think a newer BIOS version will add that functionality? Unless specified in release notes, newer BIOS versions will generally only fix bugs.

There is a slightly newer retail BIOS for the board here: https://web.archive.org/web/20101206223259/ht … /IN5598bios.htm (BCM IN5598 = GVC/PB FR500), but the only feature it adds is K6-2 support. As a retail BIOS instead of an OEM one, it might offer more options, but that's certainly not always the case (my PB BIOS for MSI MS-6168v2 has more options than the retail MSI BIOS).

Reply 6 of 10, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ooh this sounds like a really annoying intermittent fault, the absolute worst, and I think you've done a great job trying to find the cause, sorry it's not born much fruit yet.

I've got a similar Dell Optiplex GN+ motherboard, not tested it yet as I've still to get a power supply sorted for it as it was a proprietry Dell interface, however I know that it's got a similarly hamstrung BIOS that doesn't have options for L2 Cache Control. I'd like to be able to control L2 so I can slow it down to ~386 speeds for older DOS games.

If I can get it running, I'm going to see if I can mess about with Debug or write a basic DOS .COM executable in assembly to try and change the Cache Control register at a 52h offset to set the disable cache bits.

A quick look at the SiS SiS5597 SiS5598 datasheet and it's got a similar register at 51h "L2 Cache Controller":

Bit 7 L2 Cache exists Selection 0: No L2 Cache 1: L2 Cache Exists When no L2 exists, this bit should be programmed to 0. Bit 6 L […]
Show full quote

Bit 7 L2 Cache exists Selection
0: No L2 Cache
1: L2 Cache Exists
When no L2 exists, this bit should be programmed to 0.
Bit 6 L2 Cache Enable
0: Disable
1: Enable

I don't know how to access these registers yet, the Intel 430TX chipset I have I think uses CONFADD 0CF8h and CONFDATA 0CFCh registers to access these, but I haven't really figured it out yet - there might be some good information on setting these chipset registers online somewhere?

Anyway maybe this would allow you to try disabling the L2 cache for testing?

I've asked here Anyone know of a DOS Utility to disable Level 2 cache on 430TX chipset? to see if anyone knows of existing utilities to disable L2 cache from DOS instead of relying on the BIOS.

Also, maybe disabling L2 is not possible after boot at DOS, I'm no expert on how caches work, I just know L1 can be toggled, so figured L2 would be ok to toggle too?

Good luck!

Reply 7 of 10, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah-ha, so mornings reading, I have figured out:

1. These CONFADD and CONFDATA registers are just standard Mechanism #1 way of PCs to access the PCI Configuration space which is where the chipset registers are: https://wiki.osdev.org/PCI#Configuration_Spac … _Mechanism_.231
2. Googling for DOS tools to access these registers plonked me back to - VOGONS! And a promising sounding tool called TweakPCI: TweakPCI - A DOS utility to view/modify PCI configuration registers

I'll be checking this out next to see if I can use it to examine and tinker with the Cache Control registers - well if I get the board runining that is...

Reply 8 of 10, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 2 seconds of reading TweakPCI and the SiS datasheet gives me the following command you could try and run and see if it disabled your L2 cache from DOS:

tweakpci 5597 1039 b51 6=0

Don't know if I have the Vendor & Device IDs correct (taken from the Datasheet), or just setting a single bit will do the job or if I even have TweakPCI syntax right, but you never know?!

Reply 9 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fenderstrat wrote on 2023-02-03, 04:35:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

So the system is completely unstable. Normally a Windows (98 for example) installation is a good test, but in this case you won't even come so far, that you can start it.

Are there some timing parameters in the BIOS which you can slow down?
Maybe reset settings to factory default or bios default?

Reply 10 of 10, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, update: I finally got around to working on this board again. I flashed a newer updated bios and did not change anything, except that this new bios allows me to disable the L2 cache. After disabling the cache, the machine works just fine, no issues whatsoever! So yay, I found the culprit! I'm just going to see if there's something wrong with the cache chip(s?) now. Thanks everyone for your help!