VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so being the nostalgic person I am I decided to use a Dell restore CD to reinstall Windows 98 sE on MY XPS T550. It would seem that it partitioned my 80GB HDD as a 7.4GB drive like was probably originally installed in the process. Is there a simple way to resize this partition without having to reinstall everything all over again? It needs to be done preferably on the original hardware as I would rather not purchase a USB to IDE adapter. I have the ability to boot from Floppy or CDROM and I also have, but don't believe I can boot from, USB 2.0 up and running. I wish I had noticed this before getting everything installed to my liking...ugh...

Reply 2 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall doing such stuff, resizing partitions, back in the days, booting from floppy, using the commercial software from powerquest, partitionmagic.

These days, there's gparted and parted magic which might be used for the same purpose.

I haven't used any of them recently.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 7, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will look around for period appropriate software. It is the only partition on the drive wil ample free space after it so maybe I can work it out without a reinstall.

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you run fdisk can you see the unpartitioned space?
If you can you could just make a 2nd partition. This is what I do anyway
8GB is plenty for windows (typically I only give it 2-4GB) Games, recovery files, etc all live on D:\ which makes reinstalling windows much less painful

Reply 7 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day, I used Partition Magic. Later switched to Diskeeper, which also worked perfectly on W95 and later. Both were commercial software, and I can't remember what restrictions were on unregistered installs.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.