VOGONS

First post, by SrFenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, how do you store your collections of processors?

photos are accepted

Reply 1 of 13, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

in a few small card board boxes. Don't care about scratched packages, all are functional.

paper and cardboard are natural ESD.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Typically I like to have them installed in motherboards in storage.

I don't have many loose processors, but the ones I do have I store in anti-static bags in a plastic bin.

I have looked into cases with dividers (like small parts bins), but unfortunately I can't find any with sizes that work for typical 486 / Pentium era processors.

Attachments

• Processors.jpg
    Filename
    Processors.jpg
    File size
    493.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 13, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where possible, I use OEM trays as well. Halfway through moving home at the moment, so no pics 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 13, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A mix of all of the above.

For Slot-1, it's bare in a box, for socketed, if possible in an original tray, if not, I picked up some small boxes with some sponge cussioning to protect from mechanical damage and add some ESD protection.

IMG_20230205_173848.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230205_173848.jpg
File size
977.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20230205_173859.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230205_173859.jpg
File size
680.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 7 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I store them in mixed ways, similar to above.
Best way imo is using (original) CPU trays. When I don't have proper CPU trays, then whenever possible I store them in small ESD bags.
In some cases I have them in individual storage containers, but I have wayyy too few of those.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 13, by norder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have good experiance with that kind of sorting boxes. Used for all kind of socket cpus like 5, 7 and 370. If you don't shake them the pins of the cpus inside shouldn't be damaged. The Polypropylene is antistatic.

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/tru-components-ekb … st-1566890.html

Reply 10 of 13, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a bit fed up of rummaging and bent pins on my small vintage cpu collection..
but found some A4 sized printer paper storage boxes on t'interweb which looked promising...and were deep enough to line the bottoms with black anti static foam...soft enough for pin insertion with gentle pressure.
Sadly my 486 overdive chip plus socket 1 and other obscure cpus had to remain a large biscuit tin. due to height restrictions.
The cpu's still need a clean but certainly this will make life easier I think.
What other geeky solutions have you guys come up with...I'm curious.
These tray boxes with lids are great for 4116 ram and cache chips etc....but that's another story.
🤣

Attachments

• P1010341.JPG
    Filename
    P1010341.JPG
    File size
    946.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010340.JPG
    Filename
    P1010340.JPG
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010339.JPG
    Filename
    P1010339.JPG
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010338.JPG
    Filename
    P1010338.JPG
    File size
    1.31 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010337.JPG
    Filename
    P1010337.JPG
    File size
    1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I try to keep important CPUs in their respective motherboards .. even in storage, its the safest place for them. Aside from that I use a similar box setup like yours with ESD safe foam base and a thin ESD safe foam topper, keeps them from moving around.

Bigger CPUs wait fans attached get a foam type of backing that the pins can push into and then shoved into ESD bags and stored in a shoe box that has bubble wrap in the bottom. Wish I knew what the foam was as a lot of CPUs I get from eBay come with it, its my only way of getting more till I can figure out what its called. (its almost like the foam they shove flowers into but not as brittle)

Reply 12 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Help counter forum fragmentation! Search for existing similar topics before creating your own thread.😎👍
Similar more or less current threads:
How do you store your cpus collection?
How do you store your motherboard and CPU collections ?
How do you store your old parts?

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-07, 11:11:

I try to keep important CPUs in their respective motherboards .. even in storage, its the safest place for them. Aside from that I use a similar box setup like yours with ESD safe foam base and a thin ESD safe foam topper, keeps them from moving around.

Bigger CPUs wait fans attached get a foam type of backing that the pins can push into and then shoved into ESD bags and stored in a shoe box that has bubble wrap in the bottom. Wish I knew what the foam was as a lot of CPUs I get from eBay come with it, its my only way of getting more till I can figure out what its called. (its almost like the foam they shove flowers into but not as brittle)

I think it's just "ESD foam sheets" or something.
I considered buying some when I bought a couple hundred ESD bags a year or 2 ago, but for some reason I didn't (probably because it was out of stock at the time and I didn't want to wait. Or it was beyond my budget and I wanted the ESD bags more as they were on sale or something and ended up never doing a second order of ESD stuff).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!