VOGONS

First post, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the best practice to remove case stickers without damaging them?
I have and old-syle ati sticker on a gutted acer sa90 and would like to place that sticker on a beigebox

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 1 of 4, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-02-05, 02:19:

What is the best practice to remove case stickers without damaging them?
I have and old-syle ati sticker on a gutted acer sa90 and would like to place that sticker on a beigebox

Wouldn't use chemicals if you're reusing the sticker. Definitely a hairdryer imo, just take the panel out so you don't apply heat to any electronical stuff nearby as a general rule. A little heat, back off, a little more, pry a corner very gently and the heated glue will lift with it, no new glue needed to reapply it too.

It even works well with removing stickers from cardboard boxes. Segaholic's youtube channel has a great video showing the method

Reply 2 of 4, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve had good luck with a small amount of isopropyl and the thinnest fishing line I can find, this works well for slightly thicker badges. Alternatively a stanley blade on its own, slid behind a thin paper sticker. I’ve removed many with the second method, including microsoft COA stickers that are meant to tear if lifted!

Reply 3 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
paradigital wrote on 2023-02-05, 08:24:

.....Alternatively a stanley blade on its own, slid behind a thin paper sticker. I’ve removed many with the second method, including microsoft COA stickers that are meant to tear if lifted!

This is what I've done as well. Usually for COA stickers. I keep other stickers on the cases they originally came with when the cases landed into my hands as I feel like this is also part of the retro experience for me.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Always use heat. Hair dryer on low or medium is perfect when removing stickers. Phones are kept together using stick on adhesives including all apple ipads are held together with adhesive. We always used heat and 99% alcohol to take apart. At my work, we have access to manual and automatic pullers with heat and timer that allowed device to get hot in 5 minutes then pull motor starts, that pulls off phone glass back and sometimes screen.

Any liquid will ruin the sticker regardless including adhesive.

Anything hotter than 125C to 150C will melt plastic. Even at 70C you don't want to spend long time heating especially LCD, not the OLED (immune), no more than 10 minutes at a time heating, due to LCD backlight plastic sheets wrinkling ruins the quality of image.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.