VOGONS

First post, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It takes more than one year to collect and assembly

Asus P3B-F motherboard + P2 266Mhz CPU (free multiplier)
Asus RAM DIMM PC-66 16Mb + PC-100 128MB
Asus AGP V3000 videocard
Asus PCI TV-FM tuner 7133
Asus PCI-AXP201 sound card (with additional wavetable 2MV RAM and 128kb buffer memory modules)
Asus PCI Intel-based ethernet card
Asus IDE DVD-ROM

and not so time-correct, but stylish Asus case (with recoloring)

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 1 of 13, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build. I like it! Particularly the ESS Maestro1 card, quite rare nowadays 😀 An ASUS piece of art.
However, to quibble a bit, I would have taken a P2-350 w/ FSB @ 100 MHz, 2x64 MB PC-100 SDRAM and a AGP-V3800 to make things more homogeneous.
Your TV-FM tuner 7133 reminds me I have a more recent media center PC based on Windows MCE2k5 with a dual tuner NVTV card. But unfortunately in my country, now only digital TV exists, so this part is useless. And I also have a bunch of more common PCI TV tuners 🙁

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Main concept is “so basic Pentium-2 as possible”.
So I found P2 266MHz free-mul with 133MHz (66 x 2).
TV (antenna input) just to connect analog tv-out devices like consoles or zx spectrum era home/amateur computers).

Reply 3 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for memories - recoloring)))

Attachments

Reply 4 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assembly and basic cable managment 😀

Attachments

Reply 5 of 13, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-02-06, 22:19:

Main concept is “so basic Pentium-2 as possible”.
So I found P2 266MHz free-mul with 133MHz (66 x 2).

I understand. The idea is to get a first generation Pentium II, post Pentium build targeting mainly 2D DOS/Windows and early 3D accelerated compatible video games. Also the paint job is really well done.

TV (antenna input) just to connect analog tv-out devices like consoles or zx spectrum era home/amateur computers).

That's a great idea! At least on paper. Do you have tested it yet? Because that makes me wonder... If you have, can you please tell me what is the picture quality on a CRT or LCD monitor coming from a TV tuner? On a 15 KHz TV the signal is quite bad despite the circuitry made to work with such signal. I would like to know what is the result (especially with color games) considering the often low quality RF modulator of this machines, the digital encoding of an interlaced picture, the noise from the computer bus and the sharpness of a monitor. That's something I'm interested to now as that can be a way to use an Odyssey and a C64 I have and as I cannot test that before long, unfortunately. If the results are not so bad, that can be way to use such tuner cards for sure. But I remember having tested recorded VHS a long time ago from a VCR connected to a Hauppauge WinTV (OS Win98FE) and got very bad results. Thx.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 6 of 13, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2023-02-07, 10:17:

That's a great idea! At least on paper. Do you have tested it yet? Because that makes me wonder... If you have, can you please tell me what is the picture quality on a CRT or LCD monitor coming from a TV tuner? On a 15 KHz TV the signal is quite bad despite the circuitry made to work with such signal. I would like to know what is the result (especially with color games) considering the often low quality RF modulator of this machines, the digital encoding of an interlaced picture, the noise from the computer bus and the sharpness of a monitor. That's something I'm interested to now as that can be a way to use an Odyssey and a C64 I have and as I cannot test that before long, unfortunately. If the results are not so bad, that can be way to use such tuner cards for sure. But I remember having tested recorded VHS a long time ago from a VCR connected to a Hauppauge WinTV (OS Win98FE) and got very bad results. Thx.

If possible, everything should better be connected via composite or S-Video instead of the RF tuner. The picture quality from a C64 and Amiga through a USB capture device I have was pretty good in my opinion.
The reason for bad quality from a VHS that you experienced might simply be that VHS has bad quality by design (by today's standards)

Reply 7 of 13, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@HanSolo
Thank you for your reply.
Talking only about the TV tuner is a little out of the topic, but as my point of view is linked to it, here it is 😀
I agree that a well made composite cable or even better, a S-Video cable (well made or not) is the way to get the best from the C64 (if the C64 support S-Video, not all have it, mine doesn't) but most of the older machines only have RF output, so not a choice, except with modding. Also about the C64, the VIC-II signals are analogue and noisy by nature anyway, so getting a perfect sharp picture is not possible, but not needed too.
For the bad quality of a recorded VHS, that's totally possible... That was mainly recorded games from consoles, and the picture was nice played on a TV. But I tried different other options to capture at later dates until mid-2000, always with no success. Things where very blurry, over-saturated with washed colors. The last try for example was to use the composite input of my GeForce 7800 GTX VIVO and finally not selecting it too. But for it, I do not remember why exactly... Maybe because of the bad picture quality, maybe because the overall experience was not great 😒
Since around ~2015, I have a XRGB-mini and a XCAPTURE-1 from Micomsoft for all what is composite, S-Video, RGB, VGA, component and HDMI which is a great combo. And most of my games recorded sessions on VHS where ripped in RGB with a high end VCR and some post-process behind and the result is quite good. But I still have nothing for capturing RF except maybe the said VCR if it can use one of the console/computer channel frequency. So the idea of @Babasha had for its nice PC, is I think a good solution for such devices. If the picture quality is nice enough. Meaning we can identify what is on screen, not having sharp colored pixels sliding perfectly through the screen.

Reply 8 of 13, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It probably boils down to the question what one regards as 'good quality'. Around 2000 I did a lot of analogue TV capturing using a Pinnacle Studio TV and I still find the quality enjoyable. But as you said this is slightly off topic here. Some day in the (hopefully not too far) future I'll start capturing some of my VHS tapes and surely start a new thread here.

Back to topic:
A pure-Asus built? Cool concept and interesting so see what is possible. The last part missing is an ISA soundcard. That would really be awesome 😀
That's really a nice case!

Reply 9 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As soon as you think that you have assembled an Asus rig, you can close the case and calm down ... and you come across auction with the original front panel for the Asus TV-tuner)))

Attachments

Reply 10 of 13, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did an all Asus build for my PII as well. I started out with that same 266 you have but unfortunately my case was a bit more old-school than yours and ventilation wasn't very good so things ran hot with the Klamath. Switched to a 333 Deschutes and temps went down quite a bit. I didn't have a need for a faster than 66mhz bus as all the games I'm using it for is of that era. I cheated a bit though and am using an Asus V3800, aka TNT2.

I also used Asus-branded IDE and floppy cables as well as I still had a bag of them from back in the day.

Truth be told most of my retro builds turn into 75%+ Asus builds but I went all out on one to see if I could get it all Asus.

Reply 11 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cards 😀

Attachments

Reply 12 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank