VOGONS

First post, by Shadic95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using PhilsComputerLab MS-DOS Starter Pack, which includes the Cute Mouse driver. This driver works fine under DOS, and allows me to use a cursor under EDIT, but under Windows, my Mouse doesn't seem to do anything. Actually, for that matter, my Keyboard doesn't seem to do much under Windows, either, aside from Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I am using a Microsoft Intellimouse with a Scroll Wheel (PS/2), my system has 128MB RAM, a Pentium II 300MHz processor, a Voodoo 3, and a Sound Blaster AWE32. Images from CPU-Z from Windows 98 SE can be found below in the attachments.

Any and all advice would be really appreciated. I can provide info and screenshots, as needed, if I haven't provided enough information here. Also, I apologize if I am asking about this in the wrong place.

Attachments

• cpu_z_page_3.png
    Filename
    cpu_z_page_3.png
    File size
    24.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cpu_z_page_2.png
    Filename
    cpu_z_page_2.png
    File size
    23.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • cpu_z_page_1.png
    Filename
    cpu_z_page_1.png
    File size
    29.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is Windows 95/98-era hardware more like.

Does Windows 3.1 let you choose the peripherals during installation? If I remember correctly, Windows 3.1 uses its own mouse driver and not the one you would load for DOS.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to check out this thread: New DOS mouse driver for VirtualBox/VMware/ PS/2 mice

Don't be put off because of the mention of virtualization software in the topic title: the driver(s) mentioned in the thread also work with actual hardware, and even add support for scroll-wheels in Windows 3.x. 🙂

Reply 3 of 4, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do check out the link that Digger posted.
Alternatively, Windows 3.1 loads its own Lmouse.com, which can be used as a dos mouse driver if you type its name at the prompt.
FYI i'm not sure how much memory it eats, but it works with DOSCDRB3 - something that doesn't work with cutemouse.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 4 of 4, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good information. I often have the mouse randomly go out in Win3.1 builds I do and its been a pain to try to fix from time to time.

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World