VOGONS

First post, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went and upgraded the i486 to a dx4 100 and the system posts though once it does it locks up and the keyboard stops working. The cpu I installed is an am486 100 WT

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need more info. What motherboard ? Maybe you are overclocking the bus or the BIOS does not like the dx-100

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-10, 02:54:

Need more info. What motherboard ? Maybe you are overclocking the bus or the BIOS does not like the dx-100

It is a phoenix bios motherboard with version 4. The computer itself is a Zenith data systems Z select 100xe. Also, I am not overclocking the bus. I just installed an amd dx4 100 cpu.

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jumper 29 may be non obvious, I think you're gonna need it on 1-2
Double check that J32 is set correctly for 3.3V

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This I believe is what I am supposed to set it to according to the manual of this motherboard for the computer.

I even attempted to set the jumpers as what you suggested but to no avail.

So I was able to return the cpu back to the seller for a refund so I can obtain a chip that should not be defective.

Attachments