VOGONS

First post, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aiming to start a discussion about a certain problem phenomena where the IDE on a mainboard can always boot and read from the HDD, but refuses to access the files on an otherwise detected CD/ROM and/or floppy.
my examples:
D1420 socket 478 mobo: will read any hard drive or usb thumbdrive i throw at it, but none of the my floppies do (internal or usb) and neither any CD/DVD, though it might sometimes boot the win98 CD on rare occasions on ide, albeit unreliably. replacing the drives and ribbon cables does nothing.

PC CHIPS m512 socket7: i had this board for a short time, it wouldn't read any cd-roms but my memory fails on if it could read floppies. pretty sure it could read any scsi device though. i no longer have this.

QDI legend explorer socket7: my only dos gaming tower is using this, the ide will not read cd or zip disks, i haven't tried it with a HDD recently. what is even weirder is that originally i had a scsi hdd connected to an adaptec host and my ide cd and zip were hooked up to my ct3620 soundblaster 32, not my mobo. trying to access ide cd/zip from either ct3620 or mobo always fails as an I/O error. Oddly enough the floppy port does read ok. i currently have a SCSI HDD and CD which will work.

compaq armada e500 laptop: this was something else as it wouldn't boot with anything at all, i no longer have this.

Now what's the most common cause of this?
A CMOS setting
B BIOS bug
C failing controller
D failing RAM/memory
E something else

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 1 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problems you describe sound like having too much broken hardware. P4 and pccchips motherboards are especially bad examples, they are broken by default.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-12, 08:00:

Problems you describe sound like having too much broken hardware. P4 and pccchips motherboards are especially bad examples, they are broken by default.

It's kind of you to reach out to me on this, but the P4 wasn't broken when it was bought new, not to mention the QDI explorer - not really helpful unless you can list some well known case-by-case examples. 😊

Reply 3 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume you tried every combo of HDD/CD-ROM, FDD/ZIP, IDE, RAM so we can rule out faulty hardware.
I'm guessing you have good motherboards that will gladly work with items that don't in these "faulty" mobos you are talking about.

Can you confirm?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-02-13, 01:26:

I assume you tried every combo of HDD/CD-ROM, FDD/ZIP, IDE, RAM so we can rule out faulty hardware.
I'm guessing you have good motherboards that will gladly work with items that don't in these "faulty" mobos you are talking about.

Can you confirm?

Hi, i think i've single-handedly fumbled my way into fixing the pent4 using a bios upgrade that i'll write about in my scaleo 400 thread.
This is a probable indictor that BIOS/CMOS bugs are a prime suspect for computers not reading certain types of volumes/file systems, which in the case of the D1420 mobo, this bug lurking in the BIOS was likely triggered by a malware infection.

Thanks, and i hope my research will help you on your own hardware repair quests...

Reply 5 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-02-13, 02:03:
Hi, i think i've single-handedly fumbled my way into fixing the pent4 using a bios upgrade that i'll write about in my scaleo 40 […]
Show full quote

Can you confirm?

Hi, i think i've single-handedly fumbled my way into fixing the pent4 using a bios upgrade that i'll write about in my scaleo 400 thread.
This is a probable indictor that BIOS/CMOS bugs are a prime suspect for computers not reading certain types of volumes/file systems, which in the case of the D1420 mobo, this bug lurking in the BIOS was likely triggered by a malware infection.

Thanks, and i hope my research will help you on your own hardware repair quests...

Yes, please, do report about it.
Here every bit helps (pun intended 😀)

Yes, I put the "reflash BIOS" and "on a new chip" in my troubleshooting list.
List is now long.
BIOS corruption is something I believe to be not uncommon after some decades.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 6 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-02-13, 03:32:
Yes, please, do report about it. Here every bit helps (pun intended :)) […]
Show full quote
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-02-13, 02:03:
Hi, i think i've single-handedly fumbled my way into fixing the pent4 using a bios upgrade that i'll write about in my scaleo 40 […]
Show full quote

Can you confirm?

Yes, please, do report about it.
Here every bit helps (pun intended 😀)

Yes, I put the "reflash BIOS" and "on a new chip" in my troubleshooting list.
List is now long.
BIOS corruption is something I believe to be not uncommon after some decades.

Here we go:
Re: Scaleo 400 = 2002 gaming on a budget (full log)

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good work ! Isn't the D1420 / Scaleo a Fusitsu/Seimens brand ? Should be a good board, just watch out for caps starting to bulge as all older good boards do at some time....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last few years I've found myself "touching up" a few Winbond I/O controller chips whose solder connections had gone dull and suspect looking. Possibly their factory supplied "tinned" leads tend to degrade the assembly solder or something (Various mechanisms, tin pest etc) and hitting them with heat and flux and a dab more solder if necessary sorts them out.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 9, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-13, 04:14:

Good work ! Isn't the D1420 / Scaleo a Fusitsu/Seimens brand ? Should be a good board, just watch out for caps starting to bulge as all older good boards do at some time....

Yes it it from a fujitsu siemens scaleo 400 micro atx tower, it's a truly nostalgic item that my mum has given to me years after it got busted by a web virus.
These machines would have a different mainboard depending on the year it was purchased. mine is from late 2002 and has the D1420, but a later scaleo 400 will likely have an LGA775 of some description.