VOGONS

First post, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,
I have come into possession of some old coolers, still in very good condition. The problem is that they came attached with on it their old thermal pads, which have become very hard to remove. Hard as concrete, no joke.

If I use hard tools I would ruin the surface with scratches and so on. I tried some alcohol solvents or benzene based liquids....but they are not affected at all. I can't get them to soften to remove them.

Suggestions ? Thanks ( Check the picture )

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience those things that really harden aren't really a pad but a square bit of low quality thermal paste that was applied by machine to those heatsinks. That stuff really dries out: it looses whatever substance made it into a viscous paste.
Heat doesn't really do anything in my experience. You need to soak them in the right solvent over a couple of hours. Have you tried oils? Simple cooking oil maybe? Won't hurt to try heat anyway though.🤷‍♂️😄

Reply 4 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-02-13, 14:53:
Hello everyone, I have come into possession of some old coolers, still in very good condition. The problem is that they came at […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone,
I have come into possession of some old coolers, still in very good condition. The problem is that they came attached with on it their old thermal pads, which have become very hard to remove. Hard as concrete, no joke.

If I use hard tools I would ruin the surface with scratches and so on. I tried some alcohol solvents or benzene based liquids....but they are not affected at all. I can't get them to soften to remove them.

This type of TIM change phase need heat to melt. Warm the heatsink in hot water and scrape it off in soapy water and old plastic card. Finish cleaning with swabs and 99% alcohol.

Be patient.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-13, 19:18:
This type of TIM change phase need heat to melt. Warm the heatsink in hot water and scrape it off in soapy water and old plast […]
Show full quote
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-02-13, 14:53:
Hello everyone, I have come into possession of some old coolers, still in very good condition. The problem is that they came at […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone,

This type of TIM change phase need heat to melt. Warm the heatsink in hot water and scrape it off in soapy water and old plastic card. Finish cleaning with swabs and 99% alcohol.

Be patient.

Cheers,

This works. The hotter the water the better. Putting it in a pan of water on the stove and boiling it should make it nice and soft if it doesn't just end up coming off by itself.

Another thing that works is Lemon essential oil but using hot water is going to be cheaper as you need full strength oil and not the diluted crap that they sell at some grocery stores.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK