VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently picked up a Mitsuba branded Kyocera made 80286 8Mhz system. The Kyocera part number is: KC-1600AT
There is no information available that I was able to locate other than the FCC application record and the fact that it looks like Kyocera may have only sold systems in Europe.

After fixing battery corrosion stuff on the case and cleaning the motherboard (no traces messed up), I have it booting but neither AT or XT keyboards work.

AT keyboards bring up a keyboard error and any key pressed just makes the computer beep rapidly 3-4 times.. can't really tell. No LEDs light up for any of the lock keys pressed.

XT mode on an AT/XT keyboard just has the LEDs do a pulsating thing and the computer fails to post.

Could this thing be wanting a Tandy or Amiga style keyboard?

Anybody run into this type of thing before?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I now have a KeyTronic KB101 Plus Professional Series keyboard on the way.
It has settings for:
Enhanced XT/AT
PC or XT
AT
---------------
E0 Code Sent (E ZERO - I HATE THE DEFAULT FONT ON THIS FORUM)
No E0 Code Sent

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not know if the Kyocera uses a special KB but do know the Keytronic XT/AT kb's I have work on everything tried so far. The other KB that works great on XT/AT is Hewitt Rand or Zenith SK-2000R series (think they are early Keytronic and heavy as hell)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theoretically this board should work with an AT keyboard but since I tried 3 different ones and none of them worked, I am unsure of what it is supposed to use.

The motherboard is one of those that uses discreet chips and doesn't actually have a chipset.

I guess it could be that the keyboard controller is bad as well or maybe one of the connections on the DIN-5 socket for the keyboard is not making good enough contact.
I may end up having to replace the DIN-5 since with did have some battery acid get on it.
It didn't look bad to me though but I am not 100% sure about the condition of the inside of the connector.

The AT/XT keyboard I was trying is a ZEOS keyboard.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ohh ! If it a Zeos 6252 variant by NTC it has either Cherry or Alps switches. I have one working KB-6252EA that works fine on XT turbo boards and all AT's.
It should work on your board unless you do have a controller/trace issue.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I remember correctly, it has Alps switches.
It was new when I bought it and I had to order new keycaps because the stock ones were french if I remember correctly.

In any case, the stock kb controller is an 8042 (AT).

I tried swapping it with a controller from a dead 486 board and I only got 1 beep from the keyboard but it still didn't work.

Swapped the 8042 back in and it does the multiple beeps again. Hmmm.

If the regular AT mode doesn't work on the keyboard I have on the way, I guess I am going to have to take the motherboard out again and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK