VOGONS

First post, by 386_serlaptop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys!

I'm not sure what to check here. I bought a Libretto 50ct for cheap, and upon booting it up early on, it displayed a black screen. When I pressed the power button, I got the beeping that happens when these machines have that black screen problem. This seems somewhat normal from what I read. Pressing F12 got it into the BIOS reset menu, albeit with a dim screen. Here is where the issues start.

I turned it off from there and never got it to display anything again. Pressing f12 now, it appears to have some life, as it beeps when I press the keyboard. It's as if it's responding to the "press any key" screen that's displayed when it's in this recovery mode. However, on an external display and the internal, I get nothing.

The hard drive that's in it is dead; however, with another hard drive or a CF card I tried, I still got nothing. Taking it apart revealed some slight battery leakage, which I cleaned up. Unfortunately, no luck this time. It has no CMOS battery attached currently. It's also worth noting that it still does the beeping when pressing the power button when its on.

The question I have is, what should I check now? I heard that once they have leakage, they are pretty much toast, but why? Could it be capacitors that failed? Can I replace the damaged chips? Would it just need a BIOS update? I don't have a drive with me at the moment to check. Pressing space and booting up seems to have no effect.

Thank you very much for reading and in advance for any help!

Reply 1 of 6, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Librettos are picky with hard drives. Also they support max 8 GB ones although limit can be avoided with disk managers like EZ-Drive (I can confirm myself with my 110ct).

With an unsupported or damaged hard drive they don't boot at all and screen shows nothing.

Reply 2 of 6, by 386_serlaptop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

That may be something to try. I tried a hard drive from my 100ct which worked in the 100, but unfortunately nothing. I tried a 64mb cf card, a smaller laptop hard drive, and a hard drive that is likely too large. Maybe I should try another CF card. I have some transcend 1gb and a WD 2gb one. l'll try it out and let you know!!

Reply 3 of 6, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh well I don't want to destroy your hopes but i think that it's near impossible that none of that drives work in the 50ct! Especially those that you already know to work in other librettos... I think the 50ct has other issues then!

Reply 5 of 6, by SrFenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem, I have a 50ct libretto for more than 15 years, it has always worked well, because after a while of inactivity it has stopped working, it turns on, black screen, and if I press the turn off button it emits several beeps.
It has its original 815mb disk, which I have tried in my other 110ct libretto and it boots windows 95 without problem.