VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This kind of bracket\heatsink is kinda new to me, does anyone knows or can redirect me to the right clamp to use?
I can also 3d print but i feel like metal would be more adequate for the pressure needed.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry I can't give the answer you're looking for but I don't think it's worth the hassle looking for the right clips and fan mount for this extremely basic 478 cooler. If this isn't of personal value to you any other 478 cooler will do fine. One of the Intel stock coolers with radial fins and copper core will perform better and even cool the VRM parts.
Many (if not all) Intel coolers used plastic retention clips btw.

I hope this is somewhat useful to you even if it doesn't answer your original question.

Reply 2 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the original intel retention mechanism, there were legs built into the fan which clipped in. Aftermarket coolers tended to have you remove that plastic base and bolted to the motherboard in it's place. There was a cam lever to apply pressure.

To halfass it nowadays, I'd tend towards zipties and wedge to tension, and strap a commodity fan on top. However, some of those orig equipment fans were quite powerful.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 7, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The answers are more than fine, don't worry guys, i guess i will go for a cheap 478 generic one then.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 4 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😎👍 If you need them I can send you two Intel stock coolers for whatever shipping will cost.
Google C33218(-002 or -003) to see what they look like.
I guess you'd still be paying more than they're worth though.😄

Reply 5 of 7, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-02-17, 16:43:

😎👍 If you need them I can send you two Intel stock coolers for whatever shipping will cost.
Google C33218(-002 or -003) to see what they look like.
I guess you'd still be paying more than they're worth though.😄

Well look at that! thank you, you can tell me the shipment cost in a PM if you want, in the meantime i was able to find this.
Do i need any screw of clamp for those? because i don't see anything that would help set it on the motherboard.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 6 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iraito wrote on 2023-02-17, 17:17:

Well look at that! thank you, you can tell me the shipment cost in a PM if you want, in the meantime i was able to find this.
Do i need any screw of clamp for those? because i don't see anything that would help set it on the motherboard.

The heatsinks have plastic hooks on the inside of the outer plastic 'arms' that lock into the rectangular holes in the mounting frame that's installed on the mobo. They're barely visible in the picture if you know what to look for. You push the cooler on there so the hooks grab the frame and then you lock two levers on to to firmly press the cooler onto the CPU.
Anyway, the cooler looks identical to the ones I have. If you take them it'll become obvious once you see them in person.👍
I'll send you a pm.

Reply 7 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does this help? best one I could see right now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkJXTYZ9JE

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.