VOGONS

First post, by Scottmm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Below is my collection of 486 Mb. I'm looking to build a 486dx133 . But each board has a bit of a issue when it comes to building with them.
The GEM? board seems to be the best (does boot DOS)

Gem (1).jpg
Filename
Gem (1).jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File comment
GEM
File license
Public domain

has EDO support, but will not max out on ram maxes out at 64mb not 128mb.
all4 ram banks work but if double sided ram is installed only 2 stick will be detected.
the manual is not 100% correct when following the jumper setting in the book diode D3 became a light emitting diode for a brief second and will no longer hold BIOS setting after power cycle.
The VIP board

VIP (1).jpg
Filename
VIP (1).jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File comment
VIP
File license
Public domain

does post and able to get get dos booted but no onboard IDE/Floppy. and VLB multi/IO cards are expensive plus wanted to overclock chip to 40mhz FSB and heard VLB is unstable at that speed.
The Luck Star (does boot DOS)

Lucky (1).jpg
Filename
Lucky (1).jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File comment
Lucky Star Rev:C1
File license
Public domain

is only Rev:C1 so no EDO support and the CPU socket is too close to the PCI slot afraid it will short out with a CPU cooler installed also no clips to hold a cooler in place.
As a side note replaced the original Bios chip with an AT29C010A. The original chip's sticker was melted in the center and gave a odd post error. but was able to read the chip in a PROM reader and dump the file.(is the AT29C010A a good and long term replacement for the AT27C010).
The L569 board

L569 (1).jpg
Filename
L569 (1).jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File comment
L569
File license
Public domain

is a unknown board looks like it may be a Biostar MB-8425UUC missing Keyboard controller and some IC are replaced with Resistors. board does not post has had previous repair attempt Dallas chip removed and socket installed. has a deep scratch next to Keyboard
The final board is a BIOSTAR MB-8433UUd-A VER:2 a very good board from what I've head.

Biostar1.jpg
Filename
Biostar1.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File comment
BioStar
File license
Public domain

but has come to me in a very unhealthy state. someone attempted to remove the Dallas but lifted several pads and traces. I would love to get this board up and running but I'm afraid I'll do more harm then good. trying to patch the traces.

Reply 1 of 2, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I currently have an LS486E Rev C1 running an AMD 5x86@160MHz with a CPU cooler and have had no issues so far. Here is the cooler I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U48PSC/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply 2 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Al of these are have PCI slots which means they all should have some support for the AMD 5x86 133.
Not quite sure why you want to install more than 64 MB of RAM. Most applications than can run satisfactorily on a 486 don't even need more than 16 MB of RAM. I would say 32 MB should be more than sufficient.

Onboard I/O is good to have but there were some PCI based solutions available as well (as opposed to VLB).
Most VLB cards can run at 40 MHz. You just might need to apply some wait states.

In the end, I don't think maxing out the memory should be your primary goal. Just go with a board that is stable.