VOGONS

First post, by radtek82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the first time posting, I have a Compaq xl 450 with 48MB of RAM and a Pentium overdrive 83mhz with a maxtor 4.3GB hard drive.

Everytime the machine boots up I have to hit F1 to resume. I replaced the onboard lithium battery and if I run the Compaq configuration disks it saves the time now which it didn't before.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Reply 1 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the error text says before hitting the F1 key?

This is Deskpro XL correct?
Did you followed the compaq setup settings if it has dipswitches displayed, then you have to set it as it says but with few caveats. The caveats for example you wanted onboard video disabled so you can use different video card.

Did you use any different fans?

Not in original case chassis?

Any other plugs installed on the motherboard?

These are important questions as I know these compaq products very well.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 4, by radtek82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the desktop XL. The machine is in the original chassis, I de-soldered and soldered a replacement battery (interchangeable now). I got this machine from a co-worker, it sat in his attic for the last 20 years. I cleaned it up, everything is original except for the onboard battery replacement. It doesn't give any errors prior to the F1 continue, it also has the original keyboard with the speaker built into it. I had windows 95 loaded on it and this booted no problem except for the F1 key resume error.

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently, did you run compaq setup diagnostic floppy disk by booting that disk on your XL after creating one on another XP computer with floppy drive? You need to download the excutable package to create a setup diagnostic disk.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.