VOGONS

First post, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My trusty old Packard Bell 810 motherboard has what appears to be an unpopulated section for a ATX PSU connector right next to the (populated) P8/P9 connector(s). I never really thought to check it before, but while doing some continuity checks on the unpopulated section against the P8/P9 connector, I found a couple of odd things: the +12V pad only has continuity for a few seconds and won't have continuity for some time afterwards (I'm not sure if this is a capacitor or something causing this) and also seemed to have continuity with -5V, but even more strange was the -5V and -12V seem to be swapped.

While looking at ATX PSU pinouts, I did notice that there are some "ATX" 20-pin PSU connectors that supposedly have very different pinouts compared to the actual ATX standard, so I wasn't sure if this was one of those cases or if this board was produced before the ATX standard was fully finalized (or maybe the pins were swapped in some pre-1.0 revision?) and so they just guessed (wrong) at the pinout and thus continued to use the old P8/P9 connector(s) instead?

The only reason I'm bothering with this is that it would be nice to be able to plug in an ATX PSU directly, use a regular ATX power button, etc. without any adapters and such. With that in mind, I'm not sure how safe it would be to remove the P8/P9 and populate the ATX connector myself and use it as-is.

Here's the motherboard PSU connector:

pb810_psu_connector.jpg
Filename
pb810_psu_connector.jpg
File size
799.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

For reference, here's the ATX pinout oriented in the same position as in the picture above with my noted changes:

pb810_atx_pinout.jpg
Filename
pb810_atx_pinout.jpg
File size
32.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Has anyone run into this sort of thing before? Am I just doing or measuring something wrong?

Last edited by mscdex on 2023-02-21, 08:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this board have unpopulated place for atx power switch? If not than there's a high chance that this is some kind of proprietary connector.

I have two P5 motherboards with ATX and P8/P9 connector. One is QDI Titanium IB+ which does everything automatically, the other is some gigabyte (I think) motherboard, but on it there's a jumper to switch between P8/P9 or ATX connector since behaviour is different, i.e. board has to be able to utilize standby power, while in P8/P9 case it's simply mechanical ON/OFF.

Reply 2 of 2, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't even thought about checking for that. There are some undocumented headers/jumpers on the board here and there, so it's hard to say. Some of them are labeled with unhelpful names like "JPxx".

From what I gather Packard Bell often used reference designs from Intel, but I'm not sure if that's the case here. If it was, perhaps Intel's documentation might be more complete than what I can find scattered around online.