VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there.

I found a local store selling brand new ASUS P5G41C-M LX, and I'd like to build a high-end gaming rig with this board (Planning to Pentium E6800 cpu in it).

The specs of the board: Socket 775 + Intel G41 Express - Intel ICH7.

Now the question is, how hard it'd be to install Windows 98 on that platform? (I don't need no onboard graphics/sound/lan)
Is there any stable Windows 98 chipset driver for G41 Express - Intel ICH7?
I don't really want to have yellow question/exclamation mark on Device Manager, would love to keep it all clean.

One more question: Is it possible to find 256 MB (DDR3) RAM module? I'd like to go with 2x256MB DDR3 and dual-channel but just wanted to ask if it's possible to find 256 MB modules for DDR3?
What's the minimum size/capacity for DDR3?

Any clue would be much appreciated,
many thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are no pcie intel drivers for 98.
But PCIe performance will be fine without them.

If you can't live with yellow marks, you either give up and buy AGP (or that AGP/PCIe board), or disable things which replaces it with red crosses.
Not sure how you feel about them though...
Lowest capacity DDR3 is 512MB (IF you can find them).

Reply 2 of 4, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your reply, agent_x007.

Planning to use GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH for my setup, officially supports Windows 98 with drivers, it has everything I look for,
but only dual channel DDR feature is missing. I got two DDR modules, 256 MB each, but it seems they won't be running at dual channel with this mobo.

Do I really lose anything with that lack of feature? Let's say, how does it differ with 3DMark 01SE benchmarks?

Best wishes.

Reply 3 of 4, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that exact motherboard - but I've successfully installed Windows 98 on a motherboard with a G41/ICH7 combination with 100% compatibility and with no problems in the device manager (upon installing a PCI sound card, PCIe video card, and PCI ethernet card and disabling all the onboard options for those 3 items). Here's a screenshot. This is using an OEM Lenovo 775 board with ICH7 chipset. There are modified chipset drivers out there that you will need to download.

Attachments

• device-manager.jpg
    Filename
    device-manager.jpg
    File size
    93.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain