VOGONS

First post, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi
I have this board in storage from around 1999. It was given to me as a gift with this issue and now i think is time to try and solve it.
The fault : none of the ISA slots / coms / lpt / fdd controller (not even shown in post) work , keyboard works thou.
What i tried : clean the board ( full soapy bath with essential oils, aroma therapy and all , no chinese incense sticks thou 😀 ) , check the voltages , check the traces from the bus to 85C497 (also against ground and power rails) , resolder 85C497 , removed the i/o chips ( W83787F and W83768F ) .
No Scope/Probe/Logic analyzer is available .

Attachments

• IMG_3338.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3338.JPG
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3339.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3339.JPG
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3340.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3340.JPG
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see some corrosion in a few areas like the CPU voltage regulator and some traces between ISA slots. There are likely some broken vias that need attention.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's due to improper storage , for now it's only the protective coating . Anything that's mapped on the 496 work's ( all pci slots / ide connectors / ram slots / cache / it boot's into OS / runs apps / tests / no mouse thou and i don't have a pci card for that ). It's checks out with the multimeter , i've tested also the voltage regulator before putting the cpu , the fault was there before that .

Reply 3 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bios and keyboard are wired thru 85C497, https://dosdays.co.uk/media/sis/SiS%20496-497.pdf pages 93 94 96 97 pinout
use multimeter to buz out all ISA signals to corresponding pins

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 5, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is why first i was intrigued that the keyboard works and it posts , but noticed in the diagram that they are connected trough a X bus inside . Did that and they check out . Swapped the LS245 also , same thing . Can it be a partially damaged 85C497 from a bad/shorted ISA card ?

Attachments

• j.jpg
    Filename
    j.jpg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so you confirmed all ISA signals have good connection to 85C497 or 245 buffer?
next step would be measuring resistance of all ISA signal pins
then probing signals on isa bus with a scope/logic analyser

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction