GTS 450 + Dual Tualatin.

Topic actions

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all.
I was trying to find a dual S370 card with PCI-X slots that would work with vga in it.
The Supermicro 370DLE worked well.
I paired it with two LinLin adapters to accommodate two SL5XL P-3s 1.4Ghz.
The only problem is that they are both stuck at 1.6V no matter what setting I use on adapters (the VRM can go low to 1.4v).

Used a PCI 32bit to PCIe x16 adapter and a GTS 450 low profile.
I used this card because it has external power connector while still be low profile. This avoid the limitations of pci slot power delivery.

It works, rock solid, although I am limited to 266MB.
Would like to find a PCI-X 64bit to pcie adapter but it seems it is impossible.

The performances are not so great, 6K on 3dmark2001, because of bandwidth??

What is strange is that I launched a 1080p movie (Mediaplayer classic!HC 1.7.1) and I obtain 10ths at best, with cpu usage around 30%…. Am I missing something here?

Maybe drivers are not so great?

Full specs:

-SM 370DLE last bios
-2gb pc133 reg ecc
-2X LinLin/ 2X Pentium III-S 1400Mhz
-Noname pci 32bit 66Mhz-Pcie 16x adapter + GTS 450 LP
-Promise SATA2 card+Samsung 830 120gb ssd
-X-Fi gamer
-NEC usb card
-WinXP SP3

Attachments

Reply 1 of 29, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup no doubt you are losing a lot because of that adapter, though it may also be due to the GTS450 being simply too powerful even for the Tualatins and they simply cannot move data to it fast enough. (Essentially CPU bound)

Reply 3 of 29, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI bandwidth is shared so you may not really attain 266MB/s. On the other hand, playing 1080p video with such an old CPU certainly won't be an easy task... I recall seeing my own systems with P3 as well as Athlon XP struggle to get videos of such resolution played smoothly, even with an AGP video card that's considered good enough... Some effort to optimize the decoding code path against older CPUs that predate SSE2 or even SSE might be needed.

Besides, a PCI-X to PCIe (x4) adapter is theoretically possible using PEX8114 in the same manner as PEX8111/PEX8112 but no one is actually making one, as PCI-X is not as common as standard PCI.

Reply 4 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cpu usage is around 33%
There is no shared bandwith as I am using a PCI-X connector.

That is why it is strange and I am asking for help.
People here was able to play 1080p with a Crystal card. I assume a GTS 450 has much more power and features.

Can watch 1080 on Pentium III?

Comparison of graphics cards on a 1.4 GHz Tualatin

Re: High end PCI video card for Tualatin?

No, the problem is elsewhere.
Maybe my adapter is not really working at 66Mhz? Seeing the results of last link make me think this.
How can I check?

Reply 5 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What plx is the adapter using. Looking at the spec sheet will tell you if it supports 66Mhz or not.

Is there a setting in BIOS that lets you set the speed of the PCI slots?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-02-23, 04:23:

What plx is the adapter using. Looking at the spec sheet will tell you if it supports 66Mhz or not.

I am using a PLX 8111.
Maybe the 8112 uses 66Mhz?
No setting in Supermicro bios that tells me info about it AFAIK

Reply 7 of 29, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-02-23, 05:02:
I am using a PLX 8111. Maybe the 8112 uses 66Mhz? No setting in Supermicro bios that tells me info about it AFAIK […]
Show full quote

I am using a PLX 8111.

PEX8111 and PEX8112 are the same from what I could find. On the other hand, it's really hard to tell whether the PCI bus is actually running at 33MHz or 66MHz... I never figured out how PCI bus speed works, as for PCI devices other than video cards, and maybe IDE/SATA cards, whether it's running at 33MHz or 66MHz don't really make much difference.

You'll need to check every PCI card installed on your system to see whether you have any card that cannot run at 66MHz. From what I've read, if you have at least one card that cannot operate at 66MHz it'll drag down the whole bus to 33MHz.

Reply 8 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-02-23, 05:56:
Mamba wrote on 2023-02-23, 05:02:
I am using a PLX 8111. Maybe the 8112 uses 66Mhz? No setting in Supermicro bios that tells me info about it AFAIK […]
Show full quote

I am using a PLX 8111.

PEX8111 and PEX8112 are the same from what I could find. On the other hand, it's really hard to tell whether the PCI bus is actually running at 33MHz or 66MHz... I never figured out how PCI bus speed works, as for PCI devices other than video cards, and maybe IDE/SATA cards, whether it's running at 33MHz or 66MHz don't really make much difference.

You'll need to check every PCI card installed on your system to see whether you have any card that cannot run at 66MHz. From what I've read, if you have at least one card that cannot operate at 66MHz it'll drag down the whole bus to 33MHz.

It is true for shared slots. I have two pci-x slots and using only one.

I read on a voodoo forum that plx8111/8112 is not able to negotiate at 66Mhz, but a Pericom chip yes.
I assume I should find this (?)

Reply 9 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here some diffferences between 8111 and 8112.
Do not know if that can affect the ability to negotiate at 66Mhz

https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/pcie-pci8112-PE … conversion-r1-3

I am not able to find other adapters, the only Pericom I find do the other way around (pcie to pci).
🙁

Reply 10 of 29, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The easiest way to check the actual bus bandwidth is to use Aida64 GPGPU benchmark. To be specific, the "memory read" and "memory write". With regular 32bit, 33 MHz PCI I got 110-120 MB/s. So if you are running at 66 MHz, you can expect > 200 MB/s.

Just a note - you need to have properly working OpenCL. That shouldn't be a problem with GTS 450.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 11 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks will try this evening.

Here a link of a guy selling the pex8114 chip:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/111580009937?mkcid=16 … emis&media=COPY

Anyone here willing to produceva bunch of pci-x to pcie adapters? I am sure they would sell like bread…

Reply 12 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 8111 and 8112 should support running at 66Mhz.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-02-24, 05:28:

The 8111 and 8112 should support running at 66Mhz.

Yes, they should. But I saw they not, probably the China adapters are too cheap.
Will check

Meanwhile I also found another suitable chip TSI384 by IDT
https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/document/dst/ts … re-sheet?r=5173

And it seems it is better than PEX8114, look at that read results!
https://www.renesas.cn/cn/zh/document/oth/per … and-plx-pex8114

But I fail to see any adapter used with that chip.

Reply 14 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PCI to PCI-E adapter is a bottle neck. Even though PCI-X can be 133mhz the PCI to PCI-e adapter isn't using all of those lanes. Its only using the 33mhz lanes. Its nothing like Nvidia AGP to PCIE bridge chips they used to put on some cards to make AGP gpus work on PCIE.

The Broadcom cards are dedicated silicon doing like 100% CPU offload of the decoding. Nvidia cards don't do anything like that. Even on a GTX 960 with somthing like a quadcore duo 1080P pegs the CPU.

You also have to render the video after decode, I had better experience with pot player because it has support for DXVA and I believe CUDA acceleration options.

A Gtx 450 has really High Driver overhead as well. Where the Driver lags the CPU and bandwidth.

You might want to try to find some native PCI card than can use 66mhz instead of trying to use a adapter.

Reply 16 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote on 2023-02-23, 21:21:

The easiest way to check the actual bus bandwidth is to use Aida64 GPGPU benchmark. To be specific, the "memory read" and "memory write". With regular 32bit, 33 MHz PCI I got 110-120 MB/s. So if you are running at 66 MHz, you can expect > 200 MB/s.

Just a note - you need to have properly working OpenCL. That shouldn't be a problem with GTS 450.

Unfortunately I am not able to see any gpgpu benchmark option in AIDA64….
Final Reality bus transfer rate test gives me this results.
Not good…
2D 18.17mbytes/sec
3D 21.95mbytes/sec

There is something wrong here.

Reply 17 of 29, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-02-25, 16:38:

Unfortunately I am not able to see any gpgpu benchmark option in AIDA64….

Big red arrow should help :

GPGPU bench.png
Filename
GPGPU bench.png
File size
13.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 29, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know about that adapter but for that board to run the PCI-X slots at 66 MHz jumper pins JP13 must be open and from your attached picture it appears to be jumpered closed.

qUMfbL3l.jpg