GTS 450 + Dual Tualatin.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grem Five wrote on 2023-02-25, 18:05:
I dont know about that adapter but for that board to run the PCI-X slots at 66 MHz jumper pins JP13 must be open and from your a […]
Show full quote

I dont know about that adapter but for that board to run the PCI-X slots at 66 MHz jumper pins JP13 must be open and from your attached picture it appears to be jumpered closed.

qUMfbL3l.jpg

Wow!
Great finding!
Will check this in an hour! Thanks!

Reply 21 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote on 2023-02-23, 21:21:

The easiest way to check the actual bus bandwidth is to use Aida64 GPGPU benchmark. To be specific, the "memory read" and "memory write". With regular 32bit, 33 MHz PCI I got 110-120 MB/s. So if you are running at 66 MHz, you can expect > 200 MB/s.

Just a note - you need to have properly working OpenCL. That shouldn't be a problem with GTS 450.

Alright.
With Jp13 jumpered I obtain:
Memory read 101.6Mb/s
Memory write 43.34Mb/s

Without Jp13:
Memory read 203.3Mb/s
Memory write 60.95Mb/s

H264 1080p is a bit better but still horrible.

Which is the best driver I can use for the Fermi card under XP?

Reply 22 of 29, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good, so 66 MHz works properly.

Regarding drivers, I have no idea. But it can't hurt to try more versions.

In any case - make sure the HW acceleration of the video playback is active and working properly. Because if not, you will never get smooth video. With CPU decoding the amount of transmitted data is simply too much to push through 200 MB/s bus.

Just a rough estimate for 1080p 24 fps video = 1920 * 1080* 32(bit) * 24(fps) = 189 MB/s.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 23 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a test with a fx5200 pci I had.
It is way better…
Final Reality gives me:
187.90mb/s read
94.99Mb/write

Surprisingly only driver 67.66 let the card work at 66Mhz. 71.84 and 81.98 both force the card to work at 33Mhz, more than halving the above results!!!
Weird….

AIDA is not able to be used as FX5200 is no OpenCLcard.

1080p is a lot better…
Maybe the bridge is useless.
I read that 8112 fixes some things over 8111. Maybe I can get another one and test.

I am using media player classic, do not know how to enable hw acceleration.

Reply 24 of 29, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about plain MPC, but MPC HC definitely can use h264 HW decoder if the GPU supports it. If DXVA is active, it shows "Playing [H/W]" in the bottom left corner of the window. When only SW decoding is present, the "[H/W]" is missing. Also you can see some statistics by pressing CTRL+J. Like on the screenshot below.

By the way, this is version 1.7.5 I found on my HDD - should be old enough to run even on PIII. If you can't find it, let me know, I'll upload it somewhere.

mpchc0cd9h.jpg

Reply 25 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote on 2023-02-25, 21:31:
I don't know about plain MPC, but MPC HC definitely can use h264 HW decoder if the GPU supports it. If DXVA is active, it shows […]
Show full quote

I don't know about plain MPC, but MPC HC definitely can use h264 HW decoder if the GPU supports it. If DXVA is active, it shows "Playing [H/W]" in the bottom left corner of the window. When only SW decoding is present, the "[H/W]" is missing. Also you can see some statistics by pressing CTRL+J. Like on the screenshot below.

By the way, this is version 1.7.5 I found on my HDD - should be old enough to run even on PIII. If you can't find it, let me know, I'll upload it somewhere.

mpchc0cd9h.jpg

Yes,
I have mpc hc 1.7.1
It shows DXVA in bottom left corner, but nothing about sw or hw.
Also, I did not installed any codec pack.
Should I?

Reply 26 of 29, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what does it report when you press the CTRL+J?

MPC HC has all the needed codecs built-in. No need to install anything else.

Reply 27 of 29, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check your video engine load under GPU-Z to see if the hardware decode is working. Maybe also have a look at DXVA Checker.

(BTW, it was somewhat mind boggling when I hit ctrl+printscrn and pasted the screenshot into irfanview and then the video appeared to continue playing inside the screenshot in the irfanview window...)

Attachments

• dxva-31070.png
    Filename
    dxva-31070.png
    File size
    29.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 28 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am still trying to understand why only drivers 67.66 let the fx5200 card work at 66Mhz bus.
All the others force it at 33mhz….

Reverted back to 67.66, it is the only one the lets the card work fine. The reason why it happens is beyond me….

CPU is at 100%
No hardware acceleration of any kind, make sense as fx5200 has no h264 support.
Right?

Still it is far better then the GTS+bridge, with 33% of cpu utilisation.

This negate most of previous statements on crippling bandwith.
The problem was somewhere else.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok.
MPC-BE solved everything.
H.264 perfectly played and cpu utilisation around 5%.
Using a HD5450 pciexpress + the bridge pex8111.
Will do some tests on this bridge in another discussion.