VOGONS

First post, by zzzxtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys. Tried to enable boot rom on my etherlink isa card. accidentally set to address C0000. surely enough, it conflicts with the vga bios. as this card doesn't have dip switches, is my network card useless now ? as there's no way to disable it.

(Unless, someone tells me I can plug in the card after the pc is turned on)

any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reconfigure it in a machine with MDA/CGA/Hercules ?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, if you can set your BIOS not to halt on display error, you can remove the VGA, and blindly type something like:

3c5x9cfg configure /bsize:disabled

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No VGA, boot floppy, just add all the needed commands in autoexec.bat. I have done it with it.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

Another idea, use CTTY command and a serial terminal.
Provided that the PC BIOS boots without graphics, it depends on the BIOS type.

The Windows 2.03 Terminal.exe worked for me just fine.
Alternatively, something lile BananaCom etc may also do.

The terminal in Central Point PC-Tools Desktop was good, too. Had ANSI support, even..

Edit: CTTY really works, just add it to autoexec.bat. Here's a quick video of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWHiPGP0r6k

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The suggestions to boot the PC without a video card are good. If for some reasons those suggestions do not work in your scenario, you might try to cover the ISA "MEMR" / "SMEMR" pin (EDIT: B12) on your 3com card with sticky tape.

Last edited by mkarcher on 2023-02-27, 06:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-02-23, 14:32:

if you just remove the ROM chip from the socket you should still be able to boot up with the card + a VGA I think

Would be interested to hear if this works, or if the card still tries to respond to the memory reads and clobbers the video card's response (requiring the MEMR masking as above).

Reply 8 of 9, by zzzxtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-02-23, 21:14:

The suggestions to boot the PC without a video card are good. If for some reasons those suggestions do not work in your scenario, you might try to cover the ISA "MEMR" / "SMEMR" pin (B11) on your 3com card with sticky tape.

*censor* me! It works! I covered the 12th pin and it boots! And I could run the config and disable the bootrom! Tq tq
U saved me from having to spend money buying another nic!

Hopefully this thread will be useful for years to come !

Reply 9 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zzzxtreme wrote on 2023-02-27, 04:36:
mkarcher wrote on 2023-02-23, 21:14:

ISA "MEMR" / "SMEMR" pin (B11)

I covered the 12th pin and it boots!

Hopefully this thread will be useful for years to come !

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. MEMR is B12, not B11. I edited my earlier POST to avoid further confusion.